Men Towing

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It seems to me that all the comments passed were from men. My father was an hgv driver and I was shown once how to tow, resverse by another hgv driver. I go every year to France (without my MALE hubby) So, there is no difference between male/female drivers (towing or not) I see as many chronic male drivers who cannot reverse, turn around in the opposite direction, observe road condtions, as women. Can we leave out the weaker, dumb blonde remarks!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially for those of us who are not.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Well said Marie, and UTMOST respect for you doing France on your own, I mentioned it to other half last night about going and he was "OOH I've never driven on the wrong side before " needless to say I hated to tell him but..........

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From a male viewpoint I don't understand this reaction against ladies wishing to tow a caravan themselves. If a lady feels confident then good luck to her and go ahead - why ever not? I am sure a confident lady driver is as capable as a confident male driver. I have come across many competent lady drivers and it is not uncommon in south Wales for ladies to drive articulated lorries and service busses without any problems. So go ahead and do it and good luck to you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From a male viewpoint I don't understand this reaction against ladies wishing to tow a caravan themselves. If a lady feels confident then good luck to her and go ahead - why ever not? I am sure a confident lady driver is as capable as a confident male driver. I have come across many competent lady drivers and it is not uncommon in south Wales for ladies to drive articulated lorries and service busses without any problems. So go ahead and do it and good luck to you.
I used to lived in Cwmbran, moved to debyshire 1994, am in stratford on avon. What can I say I still miss my hills, went back to visit friends a whils ago, horror they had built on the hill, don't know if your in the area. Couldn't beleive they built at the top of Penmais in Ty Canol. Nice to hear from someone where I've lived.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I would say to woman or man have a go at it. but see if you can get on a cures. Has i whent on one in may found out a lot. I add been towing for 8 mouth befor this. ps I a man. I have see good and bad woman divers and i have see a lot of bad MEN DRIVER AS WELL. so good look to you weman. Mark

May 10, 2005
Visit site
I compete with my dogs and go to shows most weekends during show season(April-September). As most shows are weekend affairs I tow my van. Infact that's why I initially bought my caravan.

A typical show will have anything from 100-400+ caravans on site. Looking around the shows I've been to, I would say that about 50% of the caravans are towed by women, most of them on their own.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Well reading all the replies from all the women I'm definately gonna have a go ! What are your tips on hitching back up if theres no-one around to help, what do you do to make it easier,have found on pitches we've been to its been very hard to push the van so would need to line it up pretty accurate!!!!?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well reading all the replies from all the women I'm definately gonna have a go ! What are your tips on hitching back up if theres no-one around to help, what do you do to make it easier,have found on pitches we've been to its been very hard to push the van so would need to line it up pretty accurate!!!!?
get a powrmover motor mover fitted, believe me they are precise when hitching up single handedly

May 10, 2005
Visit site
Ask someone to help. Most people are more than happy to do this. Or, get yourself a long bean cane and stick it in the ground as close to your jockey wheel as possible, then you have something to aim for.

As far as moving the van is concerned, do the CC manourvering course and with practice you'll be confident to reverse into the spot. Alternatively, get a powrtouch mover fitted. They are a god send.

Good luck

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Tina, position your caravan so the hitch is over the tow ball ready to hook up.Sit in the drivers seat and get someone to put 2 small stickers ,1 on the rear window,1 on the caravan so that when you look back they are next to each other (oo) .The theory is ,if you reverse back to line up the stickers the hitch will always be over the towball.You can mark your jockey wheel so you know the height to set the hitch.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Brian, I'm sure other half will find that useful also!! Rather than me shouting " go on,go on, go on, SSSTTTOOOOPPPP !!"

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Surely your method only works if the car is in line with the caravan, Brian?

I've heard of all sorts of different methods that people use including attaching one of these orange-coloured pennants on a stick that are sold for kids bikes directly over the coupling and using that to line up.

Personally, I reverse as close to the caravan as I dare, get out of the car and check how far off I am. After judging this distance I get back in leaving the car door open and set my sights on some obvious feature on the ground immediately next to the driver's seat (a stone or something like that) and use that as a reference point to tell me how far I still have to move the car. That's probably not as good a method as any technical aid, but it works OK when I'm on my own, especially with an automatic car that one can inch to the correct spot without any difficulty.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used to lived in Cwmbran, moved to debyshire 1994, am in stratford on avon. What can I say I still miss my hills, went back to visit friends a whils ago, horror they had built on the hill, don't know if your in the area. Couldn't beleive they built at the top of Penmais in Ty Canol. Nice to hear from someone where I've lived.
Sorry Marie I am approx.40 miles west of you in Bridgend, not far from the Sarn Services on the M4. However once Welsh always Welsh. My wife is a valley girl and she says that you can take the girl out of the valley but not the valley out of the girl. Pob hwyl.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Surely your method only works if the car is in line with the caravan, Brian?

I've heard of all sorts of different methods that people use including attaching one of these orange-coloured pennants on a stick that are sold for kids bikes directly over the coupling and using that to line up.

Personally, I reverse as close to the caravan as I dare, get out of the car and check how far off I am. After judging this distance I get back in leaving the car door open and set my sights on some obvious feature on the ground immediately next to the driver's seat (a stone or something like that) and use that as a reference point to tell me how far I still have to move the car. That's probably not as good a method as any technical aid, but it works OK when I'm on my own, especially with an automatic car that one can inch to the correct spot without any difficulty.
Exactly the same method works for me.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
hello Tina mark When i was on the corers one of the this came up. if you do work on yoru car mit have let a bolt fall. You would use a magnert on stick to get it. so get two of the magnert put one on the tow ball top the other on the hich. get in car line the two up star going dack when one falls off stop ah the one on the tow ball get pushed off by the hich. i got my two magners on sticks form a pound shop. so it did only cost

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I knew a couple where he was always criticising her driving. 'Right' she said 'well both take the advanced driving course and test'. She passed, he failed, end of criticism

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts