Mental Health ?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Thats an interesting question 602, I don't know the answer for sure but my guess would be that the DVLA have not been informed. I think this because the story is still on the BBC news this moring and I understand the man is presently working as a mini cab driver.

Furthermore, I don't know if the DVLA would have to be informed, as one would have to question how the schizophrenic illness affected the client's ability to drive? I know if a client has memory problems/dementia/Alzheimers then most definitely, DVLA would be informed as potentially the client could "forget" how to go around a roundabout or which side of the road to drive on. Schizophrenia, bi-polar and such I'm not sure.

G

For whatever reason I might have killed somebody I believe I and anyone else would forfeit any rights to privacy, even if it was due to a mental health issue!

Absolute nonsense for such a serious issue to be hidden or not subject to open public debate.

Once again we have people claiming a right to some sort of PC right to privacy.

No doubt they would be blubbing and shouting and screaming the place down should their wife or child end up dead in this persons taxi!

If you kill somebody, expect questions for the rest of your life!

I wouldn't even license any killer to drive a moped no matter what. Putting someone who's had mental problems and who has killed in charge of a car - NO WAY.

G

Trawling through BBC news site I saw that the nameless trainee taxi driver that sparked this thread has been removed from his taxi driver course due to having a criminal record and that not being a positive sign for the Taxi industry or Taxi drivers.

Phew, at least someone has some sense ;)

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

DVLA have a "catch-all", in that you are required to declare any health issues that are likely to affect your ability to drive. But they also provide a list of specific ailments that must be declared. I don't know if bi-polar is on that list. I suppose I could look.

If someone has shown that they are capable of killing, if the mood takes them, I would question whether they should be allowed to control a lethal machine. I understand that the biggest problem with health issues concerns young men not taking their insulin injections. They feel that life has dealt them a bad set of cards, but if they ignore it, it might go away.

Bi-polar is being featured on East Enders (TV), and it appears that the problem is with the victim's self-discipline, ie - she ain't taking the tablets. If they follow the rules, even a sufferer of epilepsy can hold a driving licence.

I was told not to drive following them drilling a hole in my head (Subjural Haematoma). I complied, though I didn't consider myself a risk. Nobody mentioned my driving during the previous three months during which my GP prescibed blood pressure tablets, even though I kept insisting I had a broken neck. I was given the OK to resume driving after about three months.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts