mercedes 220cdi

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rodney. I have just changed my Mercedes C220CDI Auto for a ML270. The c220 is a damn fine car and it was my second one. its towing limit is 1500Kgs with a nose weight of 75Kg. and Because I was towing a 1300Kg van. I felt that because the car was very streamlined that if the van started to snake then I felt that the van would take control of the car.(tail wagging the dog) I could not fault its great ecomomy with regards to deprecistion and servicing and the mpg towing was 35mpg and solo up to 55mpg using the cruise control. I just had this feeling that it did not make a good towcar. This is only my opinion for what it is worth

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Rodney,

Are you buying new or pre-owned?

I deliberately dropped out of the company car scheme about 10 years ago, so I've been fairly careful about depreciation and running costs.

I've had a C270 CDI from new, coming up for 3 years old this November, towing an Eriba Triton (MTPLM = 1200 kg) and it's been truly great over the 50k miles I've driven in that time.

The C270 has a five cylinder version of the C220 diesel engine, and apart from that the cars are identical. When I bought, the difference in fuel consumption with an automatic gearbox was about 1 mpg.

The new (2005 year) C220 has an extra 10 bhp and similar torque improvement over the previous model.

Quiet and comfortable, great seats, pleasure to drive - I commute about one week in three between the Oxford area and Rotterdam - so it's nice to get out of the car feeling fresh.

The C270 engine, autobox and rear wheel drive is a hoot, solo driving on the big commute returns 50+ mpg

The Speedtronic cruise control and speed limiter is fantastic - I always set the speed limiter. Drives as you like, but no worries about speed cameras.

No problems ever towing, muddy rally fields are fine. Love the detachable towbar and the 13 pin electrics (the Eriba is 13 pin as well).

Servicing - in 50,000 miles my car has had 2 services (third will be in about 5000) - and the costs are comparable to running a VW.

Dislikes:

Just driven a C320 CDI with 7 speed automatic and 0 to 60 in 6.5 seconds, and similar fuel consumption to the C270 - Damn.

Suggestion:

If you are buying pre-owned, the C270 is "better" than the C220 - more torque, identical fuel consumption, and just a bit quieter. But the C270 is much rarer to find.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rod

I have been using a C220cdi Auto estate to tow a small caravan for the last couple of years. It's brilliant, plenty of power, relaxed cruising and we get about 42mpg solo and around 32 towing. Cheap to run and maintain, as long as you don't use main stealerships!

h

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts