Mercedes-Benz C Class 2.1 CDI BlueTEC SE Estate 5d

Bid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi does anyone have experience of towing with a Mercedes-Benz C Class 2.1 CDI BlueTEC SE Estate 5dr Diesel 7G-Tronic Plus (s/s) (114 g/km, 168 bhp)? It will tow a 2016 Bailey Pegasus Genoa 2 birth. My wife has been offered one from a friend and it will be used as our tow car as mine current car is just not up to the job.

Any views good or bad would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What are the VIN plate weight numbers on the car, and what is the caravans MTPLM?

But without that information, I would guess the car would cope with a 2 berth with little trouble, but provide the data and we will give it a bit more of a look.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bid said:
Hi does anyone have experience of towing with a Mercedes-Benz C Class 2.1 CDI BlueTEC SE Estate 5dr Diesel 7G-Tronic Plus (s/s) (114 g/km, 168 bhp)? It will tow a 2016 Bailey Pegasus Genoa 2 birth. My wife has been offered one from a friend and it will be used as our tow car as mine current car is just not up to the job.

Any views good or bad would be appreciated.

Many thanks

First thing is to check the cars specified towing weight as shown in the V5 against the MTPLM of the caravan. Then look at kerbweight against MTPLM and what’s the percentage ratio of caravan to car? Recall the 85% guidance advice? It’s not an absolute figure and is aimed at new towers so with experience a higher ratio isn’t a no-no. Also the capability of the car to control the van and is van fitted with ATC all haveca bearing on choice. These will give an initial guide to the outfits suitability. Mercs tend to make nice tow cars all things being equal.

You could put the details into Towcar.info which I find gives quite good estimates of an outfits suitability for stability and hill climbing.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Looking at the basic outfit matching, towcar.info. The combination seems to be a good match, but if you can give the actual weights from your V5 , It could be beter confirmed. I based this on the car being at 1745 kg and the caravan at 1265 kg. Which gives towing ration of 72%

https://towcar.info/GB/outfitmatch.php.
This link just take you to an example you would have to put in your own detail. These sites have been known to be wrong at times. :angry:

Bid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi and thanks for all the advice. Sorry its taken time to say thanks but have been away for a few days. In the end decided not to buy the Merc as my good lady didn’t like the driving position so had no need to take the matter and further. :(

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for following up your thread, we were going to buy a Volvo XC 50 lovely car but the wife has the seat nigh on vertical and would push her head forward as the head rests were non adjustable. So not for us.
Ok next car search.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Thanks for following up your thread, we were going to buy a Volvo XC 50 lovely car but the wife has the seat nigh on vertical and would push head head forward as the head rests were non adjustable. So not for us.
Ok next car search.

My wife being height challenged didn't like our XC 70 or the current Superb but loved the old Sorento, and liked the Forester. So i can understand your wife's reactions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts