Mercedes C220D

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I am considering ordering a Mercedes C220D Estate to tow a Swift Charisma 540. I am weighing up either the SE or Sport model. I am aware that the Sport sits 15mm lower to the ground. Does anyone have any experience with either SE or Sport model ? Do you know the tow ball distance from the ground ? Thanks......

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I am ordering new so not able to see a VIN plate until car delivered. Mercedes confirm that tow bar is an 'option' for both the SE and Sport models.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
abrandn said:
I am considering ordering a Mercedes C220D Estate to tow a Swift Charisma 540. I am weighing up either the SE or Sport model. I am aware that the Sport sits 15mm lower to the ground. Does anyone have any experience with either SE or Sport model ? Do you know the tow ball distance from the ground ? Thanks......

The tow ball height for domestic European car is governed by an EU directive, and when the ball is loaded it should sit between 350 and 420mm from the ground to the centre of the ball.

If the c220D sits lower than its brothers and sisters, then it will probably have a special homologated tow bar assembly for that specific model. Do not be tempted to use a towbar from one of its siblings as to fit it is illegal and dangerous.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
abrandn said:
Sorry JonnyG ??
you had already answered that Mercedes had confirmed a tow bar could be fitted. i knew that the earlier versions circa 2005 that AMG and sports models could not have a towbar fitted .thought it might still be the same,but clearly that has changed..

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Read that road test,the man needs his ears cleaning out or educating were diesel engines are concerned.
"The engine could be a bit more refined"
A four cylinder diesel engine will only ever sound like a four cylinder diesel engine.
I remember a road test on a 5 cylinder diesel,from memory it was a d5 volvo.
"It sounds gruff and strained at high revs"
Does he understand the phasing of a 5 cylinder engine,this is how they sound naturally,its actually mechanical pleasure to the ears,or i know mine is.
Nice choice of car by the way.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would check the vehicle to road clearance carefully for both models. Not had a C Class but my previous E Class SE 220 cdi was borderline particularly when loaded. Mudflaps quite often touched the ground and there was some mild 'grounding' on speedbumps particularly in Spain and some campsites.

Larger wheels don't help much or at all as the tyre profile is lower so the body underside to ground difference remains much the same. These cars tend to ride better on the standard smaller wheel than with the more swish looking allows with low profile tyres.

Some versions of the SE could be specified with folding rear seats (like an estate car) which were great for accommodating awning poles and similar - don't know whether you can get this with the C Class.

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I tow with a w203 c class estate 1.8k 5sp auto, it's the avantgarde se variant with the sports suspension. I found very little difference in the ride height it's only 15mm which is less than 3/4 of an inch but it has a bit stiffer ride which makes up for and slightly larger diameter anti roll bars. I tow 1400kg and I have had no problems at all with performance etc. it returns a very easy 40 mpg solo and 25mpg towing. I can assure you there is no towbar difference between the variants I have recently converted both car and van to 13pin electrics. The only downside I can think of is that mine has different size tyres front and rear and a skinny space saver spare but it hasn't caused any big problems. Good luck I think you will enjoy the car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts