Mercedes ML anyone??

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Ive been looking at purchasing a new 4x4.Looked at a Ml cd270 seems a really good deal what with the new out dealers trying to get rid of them.Has anyone towed with them ? more powerful than a TD5 and better residuals any help please .Its to tow a Elldis storm so weight should be no problem.

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
Mike I would think long and hard before parting with a lot of your hard earned for a Merc. I deliver these as well as many others for a living. From what I have seen the build quality of the Merc is not up to many of the other big 4x4s. Also it finished almost at the bottom of the Top Gear owners survey this year. Im sorry to sound very negetive but it is an awfull lot of money for a vehicle that is not that good.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi I recently changed my C model Merc. for the 270CDI ML I have bought it to tow and having tried it out find it is more than adequate in every department. The "testers" mainly test them for the off the road capability whereas most owners of 4x4's do not venture off road except when they go onto a caravan site!!!

I rate the ML as being as good as the BMW X5. The Toyota Landcruiser etc. and reckon I have aquired a grand car equipped with every conceivable extra with only one drawback fuel costs.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi adrian Yes i had read all the negative stuff too , the prices have dropped so much its cheaper than a base disco 3 , and this is with all the toys on . I looked at disco's but they have so many warranty claims ive been a bit put off.Ive looked into running costs and they dont seem that bad so very very tempted.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

I have a two year old C270 CDI saloon with automatic gearbox. It's the same engine and geabox combo as used in the M Class and they are stunningly good. The five cylinder 270 engine is powerful, quiet for a diesel, and a perfect match for the autobox. Great for towing.

Build quality on the early M class from the USA plant was not up to the usual German standards., but I've heard reports that this has been addressed.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

This is a great towcar. I have owned an ML270 CDI for 2 years from new and it has been 100% reliable. It tows my caravan which is around 1500kg laden weight with what I would call "authority" - the outfit is reassuringly stable at speed (I tend to do up to 60 - 65 mph) and I can overtake with confidence at these speeds. There is little or no perturbation to the outfit from passing vehicles, including HGVs, coaches, car transporters although speeding white vans do give a kick.

The car returns around 32-34 mpg solo and on a recent two week tour in France over 1,800 miles and taking in a mix of autoroutes and mountain roads it returned 24 mpg overall towing.

It's a very quiet and comfortable car to travel in on smooth roads, although it does tend to roll somewhat on uneven surfaces, a result of its body-on-chassis construction. This does however make it as tough as old boots. The 4WD capability is a useful asset as I can pitch without worry of getting stuck on boggy or uneven ground with a heavy van. Interior load space is excellent; it takes 2 bicycles lashed upright with just one third of the rear seating folded down.

The factory-fitted 13-pin towing socket comes without wiring for the caravan fridge circuit, but the dealer modified this FOC.

Insurance and servicing costs are both reasonable in comparison with a saloon car. I would certainly recommend it given the favourable prices now available.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
A colegue at work had an m class and swore blind it was the most unreliable car he had ever owned and most reviews seem to back this claim up. the bmw x5 is a worse car though so the merc has something going for it. my collegues car appeared to be in the garage far more than it should and proved very expensive if parts where not covered by warranty, eg he broke the window switch (simply pressed it too hard)took it to the dealer who said it needed a whole new switch panel as all the switches are mounted on one circuit board, cost 375 pounds plus fitting. I would think long and hard before buying one of these, read the reviews on other sites not just this one and you will find that the car is not rated very well, probably why we see so few on site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A colegue at work had an m class and swore blind it was the most unreliable car he had ever owned and most reviews seem to back this claim up. the bmw x5 is a worse car though so the merc has something going for it. my collegues car appeared to be in the garage far more than it should and proved very expensive if parts where not covered by warranty, eg he broke the window switch (simply pressed it too hard)took it to the dealer who said it needed a whole new switch panel as all the switches are mounted on one circuit board, cost 375 pounds plus fitting. I would think long and hard before buying one of these, read the reviews on other sites not just this one and you will find that the car is not rated very well, probably why we see so few on site.
perhaps the price puts a lot of people off having the ML for a tow car, even when uou say the prices have dropped through the floor which they have not.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
perhaps the price puts a lot of people off having the ML for a tow car, even when uou say the prices have dropped through the floor which they have not.
Hi Shiraz , its depends what you mean the prices havent dropped through the floor , the car im looking at is 3 months old 1500 miles , lux pack ,auto ,command (over 40k new ) mine for 27k , that does sound good , cheaper than shogun,disco,x5,volvo xc90,toureg ,because the new model is now out prices of the old model drops would still be worth 50% after 3 years so that cant be bad surely?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Shiraz , its depends what you mean the prices havent dropped through the floor , the car im looking at is 3 months old 1500 miles , lux pack ,auto ,command (over 40k new ) mine for 27k , that does sound good , cheaper than shogun,disco,x5,volvo xc90,toureg ,because the new model is now out prices of the old model drops would still be worth 50% after 3 years so that cant be bad surely?
Why are you waiting Grab that bargain, or are you waiting for the price to come down further?

Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
Mike I have owned 2 Ml's an 02 plate facelift and swopped last year for a special edition.What can i say they have never let me down very powerful , a very good tow vehicle , towed a Laser and heavy Elldis no problems , been to Spain and France , good mpg around 23 and have never had any problems or quality issues , servicing was

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies to my topic i finally parted with my money and bought the old shape ML very pleased with it and tows lovely very impressive a happy bunny now

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts