Mercedes ML320 vs VW Touareg Altitude 3.0

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

For the caravan we are considering, we have narrowed down our vehicle choice to the ML320 or the Touareg. I quess this question is directed mainly at persons who use either of these 4x4's. I appreciate everyone as their own favorites. I'm just after the pro's & cons.

Thanks in advanace ;)

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi, I have the 2.5tdi Touareg, which tows a Hymer Nova at around 1600 -1700 kg. Usually with 3 mountain bikes on the A frame and an outboard motor in the boot. ( I inflatable boat and kit under the bed) so fully laden. Towing mpg around 20 mpg most of the time. The car is in control irrespective of terrain or weather conditions and makes for a relaxing tow. It is however sensitive to tyre wear and must wear them all down equally otherwise you will experience transmission judder at slow speed. Usual associated costs with a full size 4x4 , the best way to rationalise it is basically accept that you are running 2 cars in one with respect to running costs , servicing , tax etc. Build quality is excellent and it is a fine example of VW at the top of their game. (designed in conjunction with Porche ). Mine is now an old one, but quality wise throughout looks like its a two year old car, and it's 10 years old! When it comes up for a change it will be for another Touareg. It has also been totally reliable in 65 k plus miles in my ownership other than lots of servicing. Hopefully it will stay that way. Hope this helps.
Regards Paul.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The advantage of VW is that you don't get stung or played for a fool in the same way that you do with Merc.

I am now on my fifth VAG vehicle - Golf, Toledo, Octavia, Passat Estate (2). I would find it hard to switch to another make.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure what troubles friend Woodentop had with Mercedes but I had two before the present Freelander and far less problems with them than it. Service costs were lower even for the ML and cars were collected and valleted before return. The fuse box listings actually matched the cars too. Many spares eg keys were cheaper. Only down side was they didn't make a RHD GLK

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You don't say what age of vehicles you are looking at as the ML320 was a petrol version in 2002 it only became a diesel version with the w164 model 2005 to 2009 so i presume its the middle one?
I had a 2007 diesel 320 and then a 2010 diesel 350 both were excellent towcars with more than enough power to tow a twin axle. Running cost were just servicing was 20,000 with a minor then major alternate years, cost wise £200 and £500 was quite cheap to run otherwise as i supplied own oil as half the cost of what Mercedes charged so a good saving with a 9 lt sump.Tyres were the normal £200 per corner but got 25k out of them.
Always had it serviced at Mercedes, never broke down and ultra reliable.
I ran a 2004 2.5 diesel Toureg for a month but never towed, couldnt really compare with the Merc as different generations ,The v6 is just a facelift but a much better engine it drove well but without being a badge snob still lacked the class allegedly so residuals do suffer. It was only the chassis that was developed with Porsche and Audi and that's where the similarities end , the Cayenne is completely different with better quality materials and trim and much better suspension.
They will both do the job admirably so it will come down to personal choice.

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi, I think that you will find the Touareg and Cayenne more closely related than the last post may be aware. Extract from the internet quite historical now but explaining my point. (lots on there)

Body is fabricated and painted at a VW plant in Bratislava, Czech Republic for both the Touareg and Cayenne.
BTW, the Audi Q7 body is made there as well.

VW workers produce more than 85% of the wholesale value of every Cayenne, and that the Cayenne shares 65% of its parts and modules with VW's Touareg.

Main differences are in engine (the Zuffenhausen PAG V8 is superior to the VAG V8.....but no match for the VAG V10 TDI), the brakes (PAG brakes are far superior to the VAG brakes), PASM is the same. VAG is generally acknowledged as the leader in interior design. VAG service is generally considered inferior to PAG/PCNA service.
Typically they also share some of their suspension and drive train issues. Obvious one being the drive shaft bearing coupling which fails eventually on all of them, slightly off topic though.

Regards Paul.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes built at the same plant but panels are all different, all manufactures share common components across all of their ranges.group,In the VAG group a Lamborghini has Audi switchgear for example.
The VW version is build by the same workers to a certain point then the Porsche side build the rest , the same goes with the Audi.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Woodentop said:
you don't get stung or played for a fool in the same way that you do with Merc.
Could you clarify that? Is this a problem with the car or with the dealers? I'm interested; I have neither a VW nor a Merc, but I do have a car with a Merc engine.

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I would be after the diesel version in either the 3.0L VW or Merc. Would either be the Altitude trim and equivelent for the Merc, with as many extra's possible. Looking at 2007-2010 budget permitting.

Thanks

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If your budget could stretch to it you could look at the ML grand edition which started on the 10 plate. As this was an out going model it was really specced up , different wheels, different leather interior and dash command and a rear parking camera as standard. Good value at the time.
If you could get one with the airmatic that would be a bonus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts