out her sister's house.

To add to this sad tale Cary and I are exhausted as yesterday saw the
end to a battle that Cary and I have been waging against her unfair
dismissal last June. Sadly Cary lost her Employment Tribunal claim for
unfair dismissal but it has been a tremendous strain from which we now
need to recover.

If it were not for the difficult position with Cary's sister we would be
heading off in the 'van to somewhere quiet and secluded like rural
Scotland or the Lakes. However, Cambridge, duty calls.

The point of this post is to ask advice about 3 things:

(1) A good caravan route to Cambridge from St Helens

(2) Are there any good places to stop off en route for a few days break - we like rural, lakes, rivers

(3) Are there any recommendations for caravan sites near Cambridge -
her sister lives in Chesterton and is now in Fulbourn Hospital Again
rural and rivers/lakes would be good.

All advice gratefully received.

Tim

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Tim & Cary. Check out the Caravan Club site at Cherry Hinton, Cambridge. It's not too far from Fulbourn. Not stayed there myself, but have read good reviews of it and it sounds as though it would be just right for your needs.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have used the site and it is up to the clubs usuall standards but can be difficult to get in. The C&CC also have a site nearby which is worth a look. For a route I would use the CC route finder if you use that site but just keep an eye on the route it gives you as it can send you through city centres and you might need to adjust it and use the handbook directions when you get there. If you are not a member Google, AA and Michelin can also provide a route finder service.
Ray
meals on wheels said:
Hi Tim & Cary. Check out the Caravan Club site at Cherry Hinton, Cambridge. It's not too far from Fulbourn. Not stayed there myself, but have read good reviews of it and it sounds as though it would be just right for your needs.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to learn of your troubles Tim and I hope that your sister in law soon gets better.
I'd suggest that the easiest route from Mersyside to Cambridge would be M6 south toward B.ham, if you are travelling at a busy time you could choose the M6 Toll from Cannock and the M42 to rejoin the M6 southbound south of B.ham.
After Rugby take the A14 / M1 North toward Felixtowe / Corby / Kettering and at the traffic island take the 3rd exit A14 Cambridge / Felixtowe / Harwich.
If you click on Google Maps and choose 'Get Directions' you can print off a map with directions from door to door.
Sorry that I can't help much with campsites but a good stopping point which is about half way there would be the C&CC Kingsbury Water Park, not too far from the motorway and a nice well run peacful site.
Hope that all goes well.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Oh my, sounds like you are having a really tough time. It is a good plan to try and build in as much "looking after yourselves" time as you can when you are looking after others. Can't help with a site but we have towed along the A14 a number of times en route to Suffolk or Harwich. It is an easy route to tow, bypasses the fiddly bits of towns and is largely dual carriageway. Hope you get a bit of break.
sorry to hear about Carys tribunal outcome. It will be tough for a while, but perhaps now it is over she can focus on looking forward.
mel

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello Tim
Sorry to hear of your troubles and hope they improve.
Another possible route is M6/A50/M1/A14
You could stop on the way down/up at Ashbourne, (this is a 15-20minute diversion) there are several sites, ie the c&cc site Ashbourne, Callow Top, Rivendale, CC site at Carsington Water, Woodlands, these are all good sites and have different qualities, there are probably more sites in this area but I think that they are among the best however others may know of other good sites in the area.
Hope this helps
Alb

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Tim & Cary
Do let us know where you ended up staying and how things went. Every now and then Life throws these difficult times at us, but somehow we get through and deal with it. Hope everything went ok and that you will soon be 'back on track' with your caravanning.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
In Cambridge we stay at the C and CC site in Cambridge. Quiet site, good facilities and if you are over 55 and a member you get 30% off in term time. Bus stop outside, easy access and a supermarket up the road. En route there is the C and CC site at Drayton Manor, just off the M42. Easy access and pleasant. The wardens tell me outside school holidays they are quiet. If you use the A50 route then CC site at Uttoxeter Races is good. Quiet, easy access and near the town. Facilities are old but clean.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts