Met Office - Snow warning

G

Steve,

There are evidently snow warnings for Scotland come Wednesday. Who knows if this will happen except on the high ground and in BBC parlance 'in the highland Glens' wherever they actually are.

However, I did put the 'jammies' on the van today so am prepared.

David

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Oh goody! Winters always used to be like that.

Have you noticed how the level of panic increases as you go south in England. At the first sign of snow Mancunians just grumble, Brummies go home early in case they get stuck and the whole of the South east grinds to a complete halt.

When an artic blizzard come in to north east Scotland we knew we were cut off if the bus didn't get through from Aberdeen, so we just slept on the floor of a local hotel and went into work each day until the snowploughs got through.

Since so many caravanners use 4x4's we should be the least affected!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No I haven't noticed the moaning, I must learn to find time to watch these geographical differences.
Surely you have noticed the moaning coming from titillating Tina, Lord B? Whenever you hear that sound, a deep depression is on its way, followed by a warm but wet period.

And if this gets past the mods, will be mightily surprised.

Sorry, sorry and sorry, Mr Moddy (in advance) couldn't help myself!

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Oh goody! Winters always used to be like that.

Have you noticed how the level of panic increases as you go south in England. At the first sign of snow Mancunians just grumble, Brummies go home early in case they get stuck and the whole of the South east grinds to a complete halt.

When an artic blizzard come in to north east Scotland we knew we were cut off if the bus didn't get through from Aberdeen, so we just slept on the floor of a local hotel and went into work each day until the snowploughs got through.

Since so many caravanners use 4x4's we should be the least affected!
and Jordies put a jumper on over thier T shirts

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Surely you have noticed the moaning coming from titillating Tina, Lord B? Whenever you hear that sound, a deep depression is on its way, followed by a warm but wet period.

And if this gets past the mods, will be mightily surprised.

Sorry, sorry and sorry, Mr Moddy (in advance) couldn't help myself!
heheheheh! The depression is caused by my depressed breathing Lol and the warm wet period is my incontinence due to my excitement at the thought of Horlicks time later at night ;O) hows that for a get out heheheh!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Roger L about everything coming to a stop in the south east. I moved from W Yorks to NW Kent in 1993 and since then have seen very little snow, maybe 3 inches max at any time. I'm told that snowfalls can be quite heavy as sometimes cold air travels down the coast from the Arctic bringing heavy snow with it but not in my experience for the past twelve years.

I'm sure that my friends and colleagues get sick of me saying how tough proper winters are when you live in the north.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We're away CC Baltic Wharf Bristol, Friday pm - Sunday. Only got to travel 40miles so not too worried and according to local news, weather's not forecast to be too bad (-1 min. at night)

Got tickets to see The Everly Brothers at Colston Hall, looking forward to the whole weekend. I agree with RogerL 'winters always used to be like this' and you knew where you were then! Old fart- my kids say!! And don't be too concerned John I. The Cotswolds are only 20% at risk of snow!! Have a good weekend anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not to change the subject but its sort of weather related.

The wife and I were in the supermarket the other day and weather wise it was pretty cold,frost had hardly lifted all day outdoors.

Anyway pushing the trolley around the store we saw a young female wearing tight black lycra shorts and top doing her shopping.

She was very tanned,just back from holiday or had a fresh spray job,who knows.

She looked absolutely frozen and certainly caused heads to turn.

Style guru or at bit light in brain cells,anyones guess.....

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Roger L about everything coming to a stop in the south east. I moved from W Yorks to NW Kent in 1993 and since then have seen very little snow, maybe 3 inches max at any time. I'm told that snowfalls can be quite heavy as sometimes cold air travels down the coast from the Arctic bringing heavy snow with it but not in my experience for the past twelve years.

I'm sure that my friends and colleagues get sick of me saying how tough proper winters are when you live in the north.
I grew up in NW Kent and, believe me, Tony, we used to get snowy winters then. However, we just got out the old wellies and walked to school, the station, work or wherever. None of that closing everything down in those days. Few of us had central heating at home, too. We used to toboggan in the fields most winters and I can remember using steep hills, too - fewer cars then, of course. The winter of 62/53 was particularly heavy and prolonged, but not that much so!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Not to change the subject but its sort of weather related.

The wife and I were in the supermarket the other day and weather wise it was pretty cold,frost had hardly lifted all day outdoors.

Anyway pushing the trolley around the store we saw a young female wearing tight black lycra shorts and top doing her shopping.

She was very tanned,just back from holiday or had a fresh spray job,who knows.

She looked absolutely frozen and certainly caused heads to turn.

Style guru or at bit light in brain cells,anyones guess.....
Some people will go to extremes just to pose but its a case of where theres no sense theres no feeling. I was getting a nice mental picture of your description though, glad it wasn't a fella in lycra's.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I understand, from reliable information, that when the temperature drops between 2C-5C you are very likely to get snow! Keep an eye on the barometer!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sadly where we live is only in a 20% liklehood area. Shame - I would really like to see a good covering of snow again.

I know we would all get fed up with it in the end.

This bright cold weather is ok tho! Great walking weather.

Thanks for the met office website Steve - I shall be using it in future.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
After all the moaning around me when snow falls I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world who actually loved the stuff. I even enjoy clearing the driveway! Must be a nutter I can hear you all saying!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Talking of nutters - A council official told my Mother in Law not to clear the snow from the pavement outside her bungalow as she would become liable if someone slipped over on the ice.

If they slip over on the snow that's ok because she did not put it there.

What a world!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
After all the moaning around me when snow falls I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world who actually loved the stuff. I even enjoy clearing the driveway! Must be a nutter I can hear you all saying!
:O( I didn't realise I was thinking aloud.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We are off to ther Cotswolds and staying in Moreton in Marsh. Last time we were there it snowed and the whole place looked very Xmassy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
heheheheh! The depression is caused by my depressed breathing Lol and the warm wet period is my incontinence due to my excitement at the thought of Horlicks time later at night ;O) hows that for a get out heheheh!
LOL, think you might just have saved the post!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are off to ther Cotswolds and staying in Moreton in Marsh. Last time we were there it snowed and the whole place looked very Xmassy.
Actually The Cotswolds & Moreton in particular is an idylic Dickensian Christmas picture in the snow. Bring it on!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts