Metric

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Only the other week i sent a forklift driver to the store's for half a doz sky hooks :woohoo: and then the store man wrote out a chitty and gave it back to the driver and said it needed signing by a manager before he could issue them, :eek:hmy: the games still continue in this day & age .

Thou's are far easier to work to than metric, more so when working with very tight tolerances as in a few tenth's of a thou .. but that's my opinion :kiss:

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
I still have the zeuss book from my apprenticeship and I finished that in 1969. I also my machinery handbook.
Plus I have the scribing block and square which was a first year test piece. I have spent my whole working in machining up until I retired in December and I still understand imperial more than this new fangled metric.

Steve

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm still amazed that a cream bun costs 18 bob! I've mentally converted back to £ s d ever since we changed over 45 years ago. (But then again I am 80!)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Only just caught up with this thread, having read all the posts, I was left feeling what a pity how few young people will have the chance of a proper Engineering Apprenticship. I served my time as a Toolmaker in Liverpool at a company that had an MD who was ahead of his time, and we went fully Metric in about 1964. He had all our machines changed to metric and even set up a sideline business advising other companies how to do it.
On my wifes side one of her nieces is married to a toolmaker who works for a major car company in the UK. He has applied to take early retirement many times but they will not let him, as he is so valuable both in his work and training of the apprentices. This a result of both Unions and Employers not encouraging apprentices and our decling engineering industry.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Thingy said:
Would that be a 2lb tub of elbow grease or 197.184 grammes??

Neither. I always imagined a tin of elbow grease would be about the size of a shoe polish tin, a bit like a tin of dubbin. Shoe polish these days comes in tubes and pre-soaked sponges, so are we loosing the tin as well?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts