MG owners beware!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Owner was very lucky that it happened when the roads were almost empty and there were no real traffic obstructions other than roundabouts.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The driver or the car seems to have activated autonomous mode as the car was slowing down to 15 mph for roundabouts and then accelerating again up to 30.

That is so frightening, I'd never get into an EV or autonmous car ever again.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One thought occurred to me; in the "unlikely event" of a power failure do EVs come to a more rapid halt than would an ICE where its engine cuts. I have read that they can be immoveable when electrics are dead.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The driver or the car seems to have activated autonomous mode as the car was slowing down to 15 mph for roundabouts and then accelerating again up to 30.

There is a film about an ICE auto vehicle in the US that did the same and they could not stop the car.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/kia-sorento-out-of-control-in-us-takes-woman-on-wild-ride/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/feb/03/usa.stevenmorris

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Does that car have autonomous mode. The speed reduction on roundabouts could most likely be the action of its stability programme ESP as it was called.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does that car have autonomous mode. The speed reduction on roundabouts could most likely be the action of its stability programme ESP as it was called.
Our previous 2012 Jeep would slow down if it perceived there was an obstruction like a roundabout in front so probably nothing to do with the ESP.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Yet again another incident where we do not have anywhere enough information to be able to make any accurate conclusions about what has actually happened.

The incident is concerning, and thankfully no one seems to have been physically hurt. And it is of course necessary to have the cause investigated, and lessons learned.

But so far there is no evidence to make me suspect this particular incidence is a direct result of the car being an EV or indeed any other specific source of energy. Equally if it transpires there is a software problem there is no reason to suspect the same problem will exist in other unrelated makes of vehicle.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our previous 2012 Jeep would slow down if it perceived there was an obstruction like a roundabout in front so probably nothing to do with the ESP.
Different manufacturers will have implemented Electronic Stability Control (ESP) and other vehicle control systems in different ways, just becasue JEEP does it one way does not preclude other manufacturers doing it differently.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not sure why you are jumping to the defence of EVs when it is not necessary? In case you missed it no one mentioned it was due to the vehicle being an EV as the EV is controlled by software so nothing to do with the vehicle itself.

I also posted links showing it has happened with ICE vehicles plus OC mentioned it had happened to him on an ICE vehicle.

Reactions: Jonny
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Different manufacturers will have implemented Electronic Stability Control (ESP) and other vehicle control systems in different ways, just becasue JEEP does it one way does not preclude other manufacturers doing it differently.
Apologies as I was not aware that you were familiar with the MG control systems and were part of their design team. :unsure:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Apologies as I was not aware that you were familiar with the MG control systems and were part of their design team. :unsure:
Am I only allowed to hold a valid opinion or knowledge about a product if I own one? Or work for the company?

MG and Jeep as far as I know are not the same company. Clearly both companies will apply their own design policies to their systems which means they are most likely to have differences in many detailed ways in which they work. It is therefore nonsensible to hold up any single make as being the pattern to which all others will work which is effectively what you did in #8.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It must have had autonomous braking then. Did it ? Or did you ease back on the throttle ?
I assume that is what they call it. The Jeep slowed down automatically. In some ways it could be annoying i.e. a bend in the road with hedges on the side. Also a car in front turning to the left or right and with plenty of space to pass safely. On the motorway it was great most of the time as it would brake behind a HGV however the moment you put on the indicator to pull out it would speed up.

Problem is that you have taken into account your current speed, the speed of the vehicle overtaking you and judge a safe time to pull out. It then becomes unsafe as your vehicle speed increases too early making it unsafe and you need to brake and judge again before pulling out.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Am I only allowed to hold a valid opinion or knowledge about a product if I own one? Or work for the company?

MG and Jeep as far as I know are not the same company. Clearly both companies will apply their own design policies to their systems which means they are most likely to have differences in many detailed ways in which they work. It is therefore nonsensible to hold up any single make as being the pattern to which all others will work which is effectively what you did in #8.
My reply was to OC so unsure why you added in your own synopsis of something irrelevant while quoting my post which is why I thought you were part of the original design team.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I assume that is what they call it. The Jeep slowed down automatically. In some ways it could be annoying i.e. a bend in the road with hedges on the side. Also a car in front turning to the left or right and with plenty of space to pass safely. On the motorway it was great most of the time as it would brake behind a HGV however the moment you put on the indicator to pull out it would speed up.

Problem is that you have taken into account your current speed, the speed of the vehicle overtaking you and judge a safe time to pull out. It then becomes unsafe as your vehicle speed increases too early making it unsafe and you need to brake and judge again before pulling out.
Surely that's adaptive cruise control rather than autonomous control.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My reply was to OC so unsure why you added in your own synopsis of something irrelevant while quoting my post which is why I thought you were part of the original design team.
??????
Firstly I don't believe my reply was irrelevant. and secondly If your reply was to OC why did you quote my post ??????

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Very scary for the driver.

The report raises a numbrr of questions which are most likely to do with typical poor reporting.

I do wonder why the driver did this:

“Mr Morrison initially called his wife in a panic to ask her to warn vehicles ahead of him that he could not stop his car.”

Surely the police would be a better first option.

I wondered what I would have done. Perhaps try for a controlled crash going up a bank.

John

Reactions: Hutch and Buckman

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't want to start to delete comments or to lock threads, so behave yourselves. 🙄

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Very scary for the driver.

The report raises a numbrr of questions which are most likely to do with typical poor reporting.

I do wonder why the driver did this:

“Mr Morrison initially called his wife in a panic to ask her to warn vehicles ahead of him that he could not stop his car.”

Surely the police would be a better first option.

I wondered what I would have done. Perhaps try for a controlled crash going up a bank.

John
Wonder why he thought his wife could contact the vehicles ahead when she would not have a clue what the drivers phone number was.

Other thing that struck me was why he didn’t stamp on the brake pedal?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts