Mice in caravan

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
My parents hava had caravans for some years. They have now found in their Lunar Clubman that mice have got in while the van was in storage. Despite taking the van to have the access holes blocked up they are still getting in. Any ideas about what they can do? My mum now wants to sell the van and doesn't want to use it again!! Please help!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have mentioned this before but, having heard that farmers deter mice from attacking stored machinery using moth balls, I have done the same. I place four moth balls in a small nylon mesh bag - hang one on the front chest of drawers, one on the oven handle, one in rear of van plus one more wherever convenient. Makes the 'van smell like Grannies wardrobe ( think Giles cartoon type Grannie ) but the smell soon goes. Moth balls 'dissolve' after about four months so need replacing - depends on the temperature. Main problem is finding them in shops nowadays so if you do go down this route buy a couple of boxes when you can. Now whether moth balls are effective I do not know - I have not been visited by mice though and the 'van is stored on a farm.

Mike E

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Susan - There must be a gap to the outside somewhere. Have you checked between the front external locker and the interior? There are cables routed through the bulkhead to the front lights. Mine cables passed through 1 inch diameter holes. The mice entered underneath the gas bottles (via weeds under the van) then into the interior. We had five and they visited every single corener of the van, ate everything chewable and left their deposits in every drawer. Luckily we had taken the upholstery out of the van for the winter. When we recently replaced this van I spent half a day sealing up potential entry points. Apparently, they can extrude themselves down to the diameterof a pencil. I fitted wire mesh screens under the gas bottles (no restriction to ventilation) and filled every possible entry point with silicon sealant.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2004 Pageant Monarch and one night last week while staying on a farm heard scratching noises in the front roof section. Thought it was a bird on the roof until next day a mouse jumped out of bag of bread. A trap bought from Homebase caught it later that day. I agree with the previous person the only way it could have got in is between the front locker and the body and the down the cable holes. I have found large gaps above the locker but what do you fill them with as they are awkward to get at and see properly. Mouse trap is now kept fully loaded all the time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used an aerosol expanding foam to seal largeish odd shaped gaps in my house, available at D.I.Y. shops. This dries hard and would make a physical barrier for a mouse. I don't know whether a mouse would try to eat it's way through. Best consult the manufacturer. Again this thread shows a need for a battery powered mouse scarer along the lines of the mains powered device I have in my garage. Battery powered intruder alarms are readily available so come on boffins !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had mice in my van so i put traps down baited with chocolate then i sealed any gap the size of a pencil (because they can get through any small gap) i used wire wool even in the front locker every gap, caught one big ****** to not had a problem since..

Barry

TRENDING THREADS