Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
For the last 6 months I have been having a constant battle with mice in the caravan while it is at home on my driveway.

What brings them in? How do they get in? Do they climb up the tyres and then jump somehow? I cannot see any obvious openings but I do need to get it up on axle stands to get a good look at the underside for possible routes. I leave nothing in it apart from "hard" equipment like cutlery, plates, and saucepans. Obviously I leave no food apart from the peanut butter in the six or seven mousetraps, which catch one, two or three mice every day.

My daughter did leave some food and paracetamol tablets in there 18 months ago. They ate the lot, tablets and all. But by the number of mice I have killed since then, that must be several generations ago. Do mice have some sort of "folk memory"?

I live in a rural area, with adjacent woodland. Yet I get no mice in my garage which is much easier to get in and has tasty stuff like grass seed in plastic containers to eat.

They do not seem to nest in the caravan (I have ransacked it for that) and when using the caravan away last week there was nothing in the traps, peanut butter left uneaten. The site owner said he had heard it was a common problem.

My garden, like most of Monmouthshire, is also infested with moles. That's another story, but the professional catcher I called in (he caught 7 in 2 days) said there is an epidemic of moles, mice and rats because so much pesticide has been banned in recent years.

How do others keep mice out?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If you look in the Locker Box under the oven , under the fridge and the fridge vents and a a few other places you will see how they get in.
Prevention is not easy. Bait. Kill them, Or try and make the caravan mouse proof. They can get through keyholes.
Get a cat, I'm not joking!!
Or at best temporarily block up all the ventilation orifices whilst in storage.

I believe there are also sonic devices available to deter them.
Best of luck,

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't know how effective the remedy is but I read somewhere that mice use scent trails to navigate, the scent being urine :sick:
This might be why the pests continue to infest your caravan even though there is no remaining food for them to forage for.
The remedy involves destroying the scent trail and although mothballs will partly mask scent trails a more thorough method is said to involve washing wheels, corner steadies, the jockey wheel and A frame and the general storage area down with a strong solution of Jeyes fluid (I don't know if other disinfectant products work but concentrated Zoflora is strongly scented).
If you decide to try the disinfectant method please let us know if it did the trick :)

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all, infestation of mice eh!! ummm it is difficult to stop them getting in but it is possible :unsure: you could try some of the tricks static users do, like covering all the external vents with perforated zinc or alloy as they dont like chewing through metal, you have to do them all mind as if you leave one there in!! also greasing the legs helps as does spraying a solution of Jeyes fluid around the extremities of the van.
the thing is to beat them you have to think like a mouse :pinch: it is a little known fact that if they can get there head in to a hole the rest can follow, so a gap around a pipe or cable is an easy entry, plus they can jump up to 2 feet so getting from the floor to the chassis is no problem, if you try some or all of these remedies as well as the other things posters have wrote and they still get in, you could put a CCT camera under the van and watch were they go,
ps, if it is a problem now as the summer runs out, just think how bad it could be in winter when there looking for somewhere warm to nest, oh and I do not want to alarm you but a full grown female can have 10 litters a year with 8 babies that then can mate at 6 weeks old so if you resort to poison you are going to have a lot of customers,while the vans stood.
good luck and lets know how you get on,

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
I bought one of the sonic units, not 100% sure it was any good, but I was also told they move about using urine sent, and a way to mask it is to use white vinegar, took me six months to get rid but the best device was the good old wooden trap with a bit of mars bar on.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Been pondering your problem. Can mice swim? If not why not wind up the stays and put a large open container of water around the wheels and jockey wheel. How to do this? How about inflatable paddling pools. Roll the van onto them deflated. Pump up and fill with water. See if that stops the little beggars.
Don't laugh. It's an idea.
Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts