Microwave Ovens for Caravans

Feb 6, 2007
Visit site
I have been asked to modify and supply a microwave oven which draws a low current for use in a caravan. I have been able to produce a 500 watt output from a current of just 4 amps. There dont seem to be many low power ovens currently on the market. Would there be a demand to produce these in greater numbers? I can supply a new oven delivered for less than £70.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have fitted microwaves in a few caravans but never in a roof locker as I don't consider it to be a very safe option to have boiling liquid etc above head height.

But to answer the second part of the question the microwave in our Oklahoma looks very similar to the ones available in Morrisons /Asda etc at about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have fitted microwaves in a few caravans but never in a roof locker as I don't consider it to be a very safe option to have boiling liquid etc above head height.

But to answer the second part of the question the microwave in our Oklahoma looks very similar to the ones available in Morrisons /Asda etc at about

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
I do not understand the need for a Microwave unless you have a baby. We have asked to have the one which comes fitted in ours as standard to be removed before we collect it. We almost never use ours as home. Possibly because we cook almost all of our food from fresh.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We don't have a baby but have used microwaves in the van over the last 20 years and indeed it was a big selling point for us that the Oklahoma had it in a sensible place.

It would seem that many people can see the need for them as more and more manufacturers are fitting them as standard.

We don't all have to like the same things which as they say on the Fast Show is "nice"

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
I just don't see the point of a microwave.. I am not judging. It is just we have one at home but it rarely gets used even at home. It possibly because we never eat frozen food and we make soup fresh as it is almost as quick if you are making enough for more than one person.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
I just don't see the point of a microwave.. I am not judging. It is just we have one at home but it rarely gets used even at home. It possibly because we never eat frozen food and we make soup fresh as it is almost as quick if you are making enough for more than one person.
well rich good for you thats the way to do it

I wish we could all do that be at home together prepare fresh food and cook and eat together as a family unfortuatly thats not allways possible any one doing shift work will know that. the wife gets home at 6pm im in anytime between 9pm and 1.30am

whats she do eat a sandwhich and wait till midnight to have dinner of course not

to us a microwave is an essential bit of kit cook a meal then when I eventually get in slam it in the micro or do a frozen ready meal if I want one at any time

as for microwaves in vans same again on site come back ater a days sailing or fishing dinner in 5 mins brilliant would not be with out ours at home or in the van

colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We never eat frozen food we defrost/cook it in the microwave.

But seriously we pre cook chicken etc at bbqs to ensure its done in the middle before cremating on the coals.

Baked potatoes are done in the microwave as are ready meals on occasions.

We also enjoy meat & potato pies/pasties heated through and even drinks that have gone cold are re heated.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
well rich good for you thats the way to do it

I wish we could all do that be at home together prepare fresh food and cook and eat together as a family unfortuatly thats not allways possible any one doing shift work will know that. the wife gets home at 6pm im in anytime between 9pm and 1.30am

whats she do eat a sandwhich and wait till midnight to have dinner of course not

to us a microwave is an essential bit of kit cook a meal then when I eventually get in slam it in the micro or do a frozen ready meal if I want one at any time

as for microwaves in vans same again on site come back ater a days sailing or fishing dinner in 5 mins brilliant would not be with out ours at home or in the van

colin
Just a quick question.... How long does it take you to make a meal from fresh?

I would have to say 90% of our meals take less than half an hour.In fact most are about 20 minutes. That is for both of us to have a meal ready.

I am just shocked when we go shopping at the amount of ready meals families buy and the junk food which go with it. I am not a health freak but I don't like most proccesed foods as they are full of chemicals and salt.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
OOoh .. err.

Get her.

Haven't seen too many convenience jacket spuds, however if I had to wait for that thing they call an oven fitted to a caravan to cook one, i'd have to put it in the night before!

And with kids I need to reheat the b*&^%*()y thing 10 times before they've managed to complete the meal.And before you reply, as long as their tummy is full I don't care if I have nuked every last bit of nutrition out of it either.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
OOoh .. err.

Get her.

Haven't seen too many convenience jacket spuds, however if I had to wait for that thing they call an oven fitted to a caravan to cook one, i'd have to put it in the night before!

And with kids I need to reheat the b*&^%*()y thing 10 times before they've managed to complete the meal.And before you reply, as long as their tummy is full I don't care if I have nuked every last bit of nutrition out of it either.
For a start I am not a She..... I am also luckily a very good cook and can make stuff like pasta from first principles if I want hell it is only pasta flour and egg! I did say of babies and I admit small children it is OK. But with the wealth of good foods available in the countryside like fresh meats and vegetables. I prefer to cook good food out in the open air. It all tastes better and is usually very good as it is local produce which has not sat in stores for days on end.

I don't really care if you have nuked all the nutrition out of your food either to be honest. I just know from years of cooking real foods I can make stuff which tastes good almost as quick as re-heating processed food.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A compact low power microwave would be useful. The low priced standard mws are fractionally too big for the cupboard space i have - they are about 460mm wide - about 440 would be fine. I'm also concerned that the switch-on inrush current may trip breakers on some European sites where you may only have a nominal 4 or 6 amps at a lower voltage.

For those of us who can't exist for 3 months without porridge a mw would be a godsend and avoid much saucepan cleaning.

Perhaps there may be more suitable models available in Europe ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray

I looked and googled for a compact(er) microwaved and looked here and in France but they all seem to fit the width norm that you quoted

The only site in 20years use of microwaves that we couldn't use it was in 1991 in Prague

Providing that you remember to switch heaters,kettles etc off at the same time they are Ok

Oct 1, 2007
Visit site
I am interested in your offer of low wattage microwaves.

I have bought a small generator with an output of 1.1Kw to use in my small motorhome when wild camping,

But the only microwaves that I can find that can be used with this generator are very expensive.

Can you send me details of your microwave?

Regards,

Eugene Corkett.

Sep 28, 2005
Visit site
Rich, the microwave in my caravan saves an enormous amount of time. I too do the majority of my meals from scratch (albeit a full-time working mother). I make 2 batches of the same meal during the week (e.g. lasagne). One we eat immediately, the other goes into the freezer and is taken out when I get home from work on a Friday, packed into a coolbox, and is eaten when we arrive at our destination sometime around 7pm. And yes, it sometimes gets served with frozen peas, cooked through, as I do not have the time or inclination to de-pod so-called fresh ones! My electric is in with the price of our pitch so why should I use up my gas? I also use steam-fresh veg from the frozen section in Tesco's. Why, because I sometimes am cooking for only 1 and I just throw the bag in the microwave for a few minutes. And yes, it does taste just as good and the nutritional value is a lot better than boiling my veg to a mush!

Each to their own I say but I certainly wouldn't be without mine.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Trevor,

In answer to your question it looks like there may be a market out there ( microwaves don't appeal to everyone ).Why don't you approach the caravan manufactures or accessory suppliers.

Good luck mate.

Personally if we had a micro in the van I'm sure there would be times when we would use it but not in preference to the cooker.

G

What is all this "frozen food" crap in relation to Microwaves? A Microwave is not just for frozen foods. Fresh veg can be cooked in Microwaves too, along with a multitude of other foods.

For those with gas ovens and hobs and on EHU, why waste gas?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree with Gary

You can rest assured that there is a demand for microwavesfrom a lot of people or they would not be fitted as standard by more and more manufacturers as a selling point in a competitive market.

One reason we bought the Oklahoma was that it was one of the few vans with a microwave at a safe working height.

Sadly the Oklahoma has been dropped by Bailey now !

Sep 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Where is the logic in placing a heavy item at roof height - all advise is to store heavy items over the axle - seems very unstable to me - also once again - reaching up to take something that is boiling hot is an accident waiting to happen.

New vans seem to be fitting them nowadays - if our next van has one as standard it will certainly be removed.]

Pam.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
We have a microwave at eye level, no problem at all. It has a far stronger catch than the other lockers so we use it as a storage cupboard. ( very handy for warming plates too !)

May 4, 2005
Visit site
We have a cheep domestic microwave fitted in a low cupboard which is ideal for fresh veg ect although it's main use seems to be heating the microvawe "hot water" bottles for the wife and kids ;O)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts