Microwave ovens

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone advise me if I need to purchase a dedicated microwave oven to put inside a dedicated cupboard in my new caravan. Would a standard microwave give out too much heat for this purpose? Any comments would be appreciated.

Feb 4, 2006
Visit site
Hi. From what I have read in other forums. It's not the heat that is the problem with dedicated or other Microwaves in a confined space, it's the condensation which can cause damp problems.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As Adrian says, it's the moisture that causes the main problem in a caravan cupboard.

Make sure your selected cupboard is strong enough to support the substantial weight of a microwave, particularly during transit. If you're fitting in a high level cupboard, this will be a lot of weight high up, which goes against the Towing Code.

Line the inside of the cupboard with stick-on vinyl "Fablon" to prevent moisture being absorbed into the structure of the caravan.

Cut vent holes and fit a small extractor fan to the selected cupboard (and ALWAYS use the fan when the microwave is on). This is vital if you reduce clearances below 50mm all round on domestic microwaves. This step seems to be omitted by caravan brands which fit microwaves as standard - and then they wonder why they get so many complaints!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We have a Abbey GTS Vogue with an L shaped kitchen. The dedicated microwave cupboard is high but is centally placed. When using the oven we leave the cupboard door open and have had no problems with condensation probably due to the air movement in the cupboard itself. We leave the microwave in the cupboard because of its central position and because theres no instructions informing us to remove it each time. The microwave is also stood on non-slip rubber matting. Surely the manufacturers would have looked into the weight problem and not expect people to take them out of the cupboard each time whilst on the move. We have now travelled from John O Groats to Penzance in our van with no problems.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We have a Abbey GTS Vogue with an L shaped kitchen. The dedicated microwave cupboard is high but is centally placed. When using the oven we leave the cupboard door open and have had no problems with condensation probably due to the air movement in the cupboard itself. We leave the microwave in the cupboard because of its central position and because theres no instructions informing us to remove it each time. The microwave is also stood on non-slip rubber matting. Surely the manufacturers would have looked into the weight problem and not expect people to take them out of the cupboard each time whilst on the move. We have now travelled from John O Groats to Penzance in our van with no problems.
I forgot to say ours is a 650w microwave. Cost about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts