Midge Zapper

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,
We have a few more trips up the highlands booked shortly and was wondering if there is any midge type zapper on the market that i can buy for the van.

Luckily so far we have been hassle free on the midge front but would like to get something just in case.

Cheers .

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can buy battery or mains powered anti insect devices that use UV or high voltage but how effective they are against the wee midge I don’t know. When in Scotland we used a Jungle Formula Plug In. It uses a two pin razor plug or similar adaptor if required. It’s best used in a closed environment like the van, rather than awning. Some may not like the idea that it emits a low level volatile insecticide. But orders of magnitude less than my parents used to spray with the Flit DDT hand spray and I’m still here. But seriously we’ve used the Jungle Formula Plug in and there other products around the world and they work.

C5264074-C69B-40A2-B0F4-DD60D50A700D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You can buy battery or mains powered anti insect devices that use UV or high voltage but how effective they are against the wee midge I don’t know. When in Scotland we used a Jungle Formula Plug In. It uses a two pin razor plug or similar adaptor if required. It’s best used in a closed environment like the van, rather than awning. Some may not like the idea that it emits a low level volatile insecticide. But orders of magnitude less than my parents used to spray with the Flit DDT hand spray and I’m still here. But seriously we’ve used the Jungle Formula Plug in and there other products around the world and they work.

View attachment 1851
We might need one when we go to Scotland put it on the list (y)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Avon, Oh So Soft, its a very light moisturiser, but has an insect repelent in it, I have found the plug in things work very well.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I suspect that success may be related to how bad the outbreak is, varies year to year and place to place I am told. I watched a documentary once on the making of a TV series. Around the building, outside, they had industrial filters powered by massive fans that sucked them in. There were around half a dozen such machines. They regularly cleaned them out and got sack fulls of dead midges out. But it still was not enough!

Good luck.

Or, go prepared, plan B

1625161406040.jpeg
John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I suspect that success may be related to how bad the outbreak is, varies year to year and place to place I am told. I watched a documentary once on the making of a TV series. Around the building, outside, they had industrial filters powered by massive fans that sucked them in. There were around half a dozen such machines. They regularly cleaned them out and got sack fulls of dead midges out. But it still was not enough!

Good luck.

Or, go prepared, plan B

View attachment 1857
John
We were near Inverness and a police HQ closed due to midges clogging the air inlets and windows could not be opened as they had no screens. Comms systems down too. Even in 2017 in early September near Aviemore the little beasts were on patrol. I’ve lived in Canada and from April to August something would hatch and set about attacking you but Deet worked. But they were nowhere near as bad as Scotlands best !

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
I promised the wife we would do the nc500 when we had the campervan but covid put the brakes on that then i sold the camper lol, so tent it is plus a few b and b s 🙈🙈🙈

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
When we built our house here on Skye we lived in our motorhome for several months, including midge season. The bug screens worked well but the little devils still found there way in through the heater and air vents at the cab end. I had to use clingfilm and masking tape over these to keep them out.

The weather conditions have to be just right for them to be a nuisance. Not too hot or cold and a slight breeze will keep them away. Fortunately we only get a few days each year when they can be a problem.

The house windows don't really suit bug screens so we have to carefully watch to see if there's a breeze before opening them. Occassionaly we'll forget and then have to get the vacuum cleaner out before bedtime to get them off the ceilings and walls.

The ventilation system never seems to suck them in.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Scottish midges affect some people but not others, - if you're a "midge-magnet" there's nothing 100% proof against them - potions containing DEET will vary considerably as the % varies, at 50% it's fairly effective but can ruin leather if you touch it, eg car steering wheels and seats.

Fortunately, Scottish midges don't like wind or rain and Scotland gets plenty of that!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Scottish midges affect some people but not others, - if you're a "midge-magnet" there's nothing 100% proof against them - potions containing DEET will vary considerably as the % varies, at 50% it's fairly effective but can ruin leather if you touch it, eg car steering wheels and seats.

Fortunately, Scottish midges don't like wind or rain and Scotland gets plenty of that!
Usually I am ok with midges but my wife isn"t that why i need something like the avon moisturiser would be ideal

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

We tend to have a 50% Deet product and it’s not only leather it will affect. It can damage spectacle frames, camera or phone plastics and even artificial fabric clothing. So when applying it first thing it’s applied straight after a shower or before getting dressed. Then any top ups during the day are just literally dabs onto exposed skin. But I’m Scotland for anti midge warfare it’s just rubbed onto exposed skin areas when required.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We tend to have a 50% Deet product and it’s not only leather it will affect. It can damage spectacle frames, camera or phone plastics and even artificial fabric clothing. So when applying it first thing it’s applied straight after a shower or before getting dressed. Then any top ups during the day are just literally dabs onto exposed skin. But I’m Scotland for anti midge warfare it’s just rubbed onto exposed skin areas when required.
The practical problem I found with 50% DEET was the necessity to thoroughly wash hands after applying which meant the midges made a meal of my hands - and I felt guilty at getting the Hyundai dealer to replace the steering wheel twice under warranty before I discovered what was causing the issue!

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS