Midges Scotland

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
The little blighters got me 3 times on 17th May......itching nearly drove me mad.but I had some stuff called After Bite which is like a pen that you rub over the affected bit and that cooled everything down very quickly.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Body Spray - did the trick for us. Recently had the best part of 2 months touring Scotland and the little blighters were out in force in places for the last two weeks or so.It's the best midge repellent I've come across.

Thanks to LB for putting us on to it !

Dave

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
I recieved 6 bites at the weekend at Minlaw in Aberdeenshire and I was itching like mad!

I was never biten as a kid because I was often in Perthshire, but 2 years ago the little b*****s bit me alive at Tummel Valley near Pitlochry, so the taste of my blood has surely changed with age!

Going to look out for the after bite stick asap!!

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
I recieved 6 bites at the weekend at Mintlaw in Aberdeenshire and I was itching like mad!

I was never biten as a kid because I was often in Perthshire, but 2 years ago the little b*****s bit me alive at Tummel Valley near Pitlochry, so the taste of my blood has surely changed with age!

Going to look out for the after bite stick asap!!

TLC

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
We went to a CL in Petworth, Sussex a couple of weeks ago & my husband was bitten 82 times just on his legs from the knees down!! He was scratching like mad for ages after. Mind you it helped when my 3 year got chicken pox a few days later as they were comparing spots!!!

May 23, 2008
Visit site
The Avon Skin so Soft is the best repellant. I did a confined spaces course with the mines rescue team and they swear by it, only problem is men have got to wash it off before going to the pub as you get funny looks.

Willie

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
DON'T buy Jungle Formula - it attracts them as I found out recently. DON'T bother with cintronella candles, they don't work either.

Lisa.

May 27, 2007
Visit site
Well thanks for the warning we won`t be going to Scotland in the summer (*_*)
Th eodd mmidge isnt much to worry about compensated by the beautiful tranquil scenery, tranquil lifestyle, nice people friendly welcome, no fear of having van stolen and some really great sites....who needs you

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
We live on the west coast of Scotland an hours travel due west of Fort William, and between the months of May to Sept, you will find them any day that is damp with no wind.

Sometimes at night we will see them nearly half an inch thick on our window sills if the lights are on, we used to do B and B, and have had people running to our door after midnight pleading to be given room inside,... the Highlanders of old used to use the midgy as a sever punisment, by tieing people against trees naked at night

What to do about them?,... well either `Avon Skin so soft`, and lots of it, or midgy nets,... nothing else will work, believe us we have tried them all

But please dont let them put you off visiting Scotland, do as we have and make midgy screens for your van windows from old net curtains,..the old type thats very dense

Stuart and Allison

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts