Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Peter,

The best time to avoid the midges in Scotland would be holidaying early - late May/early June, or September onwards. However, we spent three weeks in the west this year June/July and they were'nt that bad!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Wow Wendy, you was lucky cos we was there in June/July and they ran out of room to bite me so they started biting my bites. Weird thing was the missus, her cousin and her hubby never had one bite. Its either they were bad meat or I had the vitamins the bloody things needed. We went to Loch Lomond CCC, North Ledaig, Onich, Brora, Rosemarkie and Killin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wendy says holiday in late May or June....No! No! No! By the end of May the little blighters are biting very happily.Go early May or then leave it until September.We were on the North West Coast of Scotland this year and were glad to leave just as they were getting busy for the season.

Don't forget to take the Avon Skin so Soft with you ( Woodland Fresh )Midges don't like it.We also carry an electric plug with mozzy killer tablets in case we get caught out.

Where are you thinking of going?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wow Wendy, you was lucky cos we was there in June/July and they ran out of room to bite me so they started biting my bites. Weird thing was the missus, her cousin and her hubby never had one bite. Its either they were bad meat or I had the vitamins the bloody things needed. We went to Loch Lomond CCC, North Ledaig, Onich, Brora, Rosemarkie and Killin.
Hi Lord B, I would appreciate your comments on Rosemarkie. We visited in september on the way home from our daughters wedding and thought we would like to take the van next time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have heard, don't know whether it is true - never had call to test it, but if you were to eat garlic for a week prior to the hoilday and also each day of the holiday the midges will not come near you. However you will probably end up a loner as no one will want to know you. Which is worse - being a loner or eaten alive?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lord B, I would appreciate your comments on Rosemarkie. We visited in september on the way home from our daughters wedding and thought we would like to take the van next time.
Its a nice site overlooking the beach. When we were there the beach was empty. Theres a nice pub a couple of hundred yards away that does nice meals. If you walk up to Chanonry Point (about 15 minutes) or you can even drive there, there is a good chance of seeing dolphins. It was recently on the "Coast" tele programme. A local told us that for every 10 times he visited the Point he saw the dolphins 7 times. We visited it 3 times and never saw them once so on that reckoning we should have seen them the next visit lololol. I dont recall hardstandings, only grass. All in all its a nice site to stay at.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is also said that if you take a course of Vitamin B tablets that you will then smell like a vegetable to the midges and they will leave you alone !!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The east coast doesnt suffer as bad, there was none at Rosemarkie or Brora (Dalchalm), another lovely site with the beach to yourself. After we left Rosemarkie we went to Killin (Clachan) and we was overwhelmed with them there. We visited a village called Kenmore and as we entered it was as if it was the village of the damned. Everybody was waving their arms about in a demented fashion as if they had escaped from the local Funny Farm. When I parked up I realised why. The place was alive with them.Someone told me if it rains you wont see them, I was packing up to leave Loch Lomond site in a deluge but the b*ggers were dive bombing me and sticking to my wet skin. Regarding the Avon, my wife is an Avon rep and I plastered that stuff on me all to no avail. I know for a fact the S.A.S. use it abroad and a lady in Oban told me the fishermen there use it but it didnt work for me. Since I returned I looked up these midges on the net and apparently the species in Scotland are the most ferocious in the world but they loved me ;O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its a nice site overlooking the beach. When we were there the beach was empty. Theres a nice pub a couple of hundred yards away that does nice meals. If you walk up to Chanonry Point (about 15 minutes) or you can even drive there, there is a good chance of seeing dolphins. It was recently on the "Coast" tele programme. A local told us that for every 10 times he visited the Point he saw the dolphins 7 times. We visited it 3 times and never saw them once so on that reckoning we should have seen them the next visit lololol. I dont recall hardstandings, only grass. All in all its a nice site to stay at.
Thanks we'll put it on the list!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Ahhh! Maybe cause we started off in my favourite site in the UK - Grummore CC site in Altnaharra, Sutherland. The mozzies are more scary than midges. Curiously they left me alone for once!!!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Wendy says holiday in late May or June....No! No! No! By the end of May the little blighters are biting very happily.Go early May or then leave it until September.We were on the North West Coast of Scotland this year and were glad to leave just as they were getting busy for the season.

Don't forget to take the Avon Skin so Soft with you ( Woodland Fresh )Midges don't like it.We also carry an electric plug with mozzy killer tablets in case we get caught out.

Where are you thinking of going?
Maureen - It really depends on where you are going. If you are on the very north west coast the midges are not that bad, but once you start coming further south - Ouch!!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Peter,

The best time to avoid the midges in Scotland would be holidaying early - late May/early June, or September onwards. However, we spent three weeks in the west this year June/July and they were'nt that bad!!
To avoid the midges it's best to keep to the eastern side. I can thoroughly recommend the CC at Braemar. Or if you prefer the border area try the C&CC at Barns Ness. Fantastic coast line.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I have heard, don't know whether it is true - never had call to test it, but if you were to eat garlic for a week prior to the hoilday and also each day of the holiday the midges will not come near you. However you will probably end up a loner as no one will want to know you. Which is worse - being a loner or eaten alive?
They say Marmite is very good - personally can't stand the stuff!!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
The east coast doesnt suffer as bad, there was none at Rosemarkie or Brora (Dalchalm), another lovely site with the beach to yourself. After we left Rosemarkie we went to Killin (Clachan) and we was overwhelmed with them there. We visited a village called Kenmore and as we entered it was as if it was the village of the damned. Everybody was waving their arms about in a demented fashion as if they had escaped from the local Funny Farm. When I parked up I realised why. The place was alive with them.Someone told me if it rains you wont see them, I was packing up to leave Loch Lomond site in a deluge but the b*ggers were dive bombing me and sticking to my wet skin. Regarding the Avon, my wife is an Avon rep and I plastered that stuff on me all to no avail. I know for a fact the S.A.S. use it abroad and a lady in Oban told me the fishermen there use it but it didnt work for me. Since I returned I looked up these midges on the net and apparently the species in Scotland are the most ferocious in the world but they loved me ;O)
The worst places we have been to it the C&CC site at Oban and C&CC site at Ardgarten - it was hell on wheels!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts