Midgets in Scotland

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was all set to go to the west of Scotland this year for our summer holidays in July for two weeks. Now we are having second thoughts as we are hearing so much about there famous midgets.It is a holiday we want not an invasion of midgets into our caravan.Any advise welcome.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Donal.

Most Scottish people are normal size, not many midgets about.

But, do watch out for the midges, they swarm, bite, and get in everywhere.

Peter T

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Donal;

I presume you are refering to Midges? These are the annoying little insects that affect the West coast of Scotland. Having been to the Scottish west coast over the last five years, I haven't noticed any particular invasion of vertically challenged people in the summer. OK jokeing apart. Don't let these little monsters spoil what will be the holiday of a lifetime. The scenary is breath taking and the local people very friendly (and not particullary short). Take plenty of insect repellent candles and cream. You will find that the further north you go, the worse the problem seams to get. we spent five days in the CC site just south of Ullapool two years ago, and this was time the midges were a nightmare. However, if you go a little further south, and I would recomend the site at Bunree just south of Fort William, they only become a problem in the evening.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you mean 'Midges' actually....'Midgets' is a (now derogatory) term for some tribal folk in Africa who are of a more compact build....

Anyway, on 'MIDGES' - get some repellant, burn a coil or two if you like, and go and enjoy Scotland. They won't actually kill you - on the other hand the Midgets just might though...!!

Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Went to Loch Lomand year before last and the midges were a pain in the arse. The worst side affect was that our son, Josh was conceived that year!!! Get bug bombs and be prepared to kill the suckers! However, the holiday during the day was WONDERFUL! Just don't spend a lot of time outside in the evening!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear, Here we go again.

We live in Scotland,and all you have to remember is:- The midge season is from the end of May to the end of August.Take your holidays outwith these months and you should enjoy yourselves.Avon Skin so Soft Dry oil body spray (Woodland Fresh ) is also good to use.I can also vouch for the fact that they are also living very happliy in England in the Lake District now so it is not just a Scottish problem !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have had many holidays on west coast of Scotland. Only time we saw any midges was 2nd week of september on one of the islands. There are various creams you can apply which they dont like and they and not over keen on smoke.

The region is such a Utopian dream that one has to try and ignore this "fly in the ointment". They are sensitive to the weather conditions and love high humidity. They appear at dusk so it depends what time of year you plan to go what time of day dusk is. When in the Outer hebrides in August we saw none and Orkney is midge free (due to the constant wind!) but is another great place to go.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
When I was a kid (er hum - a long time ago), my Mother gave me brewers yeast tablets every day for a forntnight before the holiday. Nver remember being bothered by them then..

TRENDING THREADS