Milenco Security Handle

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
When I bought the van this year the handle had already been fitted. Unfortunately it wasn't fitted properly because it can't be locked back to secure the door because of it's position relative to the door catch. The catch has a backing plate which I could remove to reduce how far it protrudes but I don't think it will help and it can't be set back too far or the door when open will not engage in the catch on the side of thew van because it will hit the wheel arch. If anyone has any suggestions they would be welcomed. For example is there a low profile catch that could be substituted for the current one which would give enough clearance. I'm keen to resolve this particularly following a forced entry to a motorhome just up the road.

Attachments

• van1.JPG
    van1.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 12
  • van2.JPG
    van2.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 12
  • van3.JPG
    van3.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 10
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I saw a similar problem on another forum and made my reply there. My answer was to drill out the rivets holding the angled bar and remove it. Then using a pipe cutter, cut off an equal amount from both ends. Using some glue, refix the bar to the two swivels and peen the handle slightly into the rivet holes.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When i brought our caravan it came with a Milenco Security Handle but mine fitted on the left side like in the photo below and just folds across and i think that the correct way

Attachments

• shopping.png
    shopping.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 6
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I bought the van this year the handle had already been fitted. Unfortunately it wasn't fitted properly because it can't be locked back to secure the door because of it's position relative to the door catch. The catch has a backing plate which I could remove to reduce how far it protrudes but I don't think it will help and it can't be set back too far or the door when open will not engage in the catch on the side of thew van because it will hit the wheel arch. If anyone has any suggestions they would be welcomed. For example is there a low profile catch that could be substituted for the current one which would give enough clearance. I'm keen to resolve this particularly following a forced entry to a motorhome just up the road.
I suggest you take it up with caravan dealer as it is not fit for purpose, because it has not been fitted correctly. Hopefully they will resolve it for you amicably but if they won't play ball That is claimable under the Consumer Rights Act.

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
This wasn't a new van. It was clearly fitted some years ago. I think to be fair it was my fault for not checking it when we bought the van but thanks for your advice.

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I saw a similar problem on another forum and made my reply there. My answer was to drill out the rivets holding the angled bar and remove it. Then using a pipe cutter, cut off an equal amount from both ends. Using some glue, refix the bar to the two swivels and peen the handle slightly into the rivet holes.
That is me. I joined both Forums to get the best of both worlds. thanks again for your help.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This wasn't a new van. It was clearly fitted some years ago. I think to be fair it was my fault for not checking it when we bought the van but thanks for your advice.
i think you will find the milenco security handle should fitted like this in the photo below

Attachments

• shopping.png
    shopping.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 5
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i just seen this on another forum are you trying to get different veiws on this item how to get it fixed as i said it needs to be on the left side so when you open the door it will clip into this ...

Attachments

• 318-e817ca7fad9bfb8626e79e3f97b610c1.jpg
    318-e817ca7fad9bfb8626e79e3f97b610c1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi Beachball. The handle on my van could not have been fitted as close to the door as shown in your photo because of internal fitting but it could have easily been put a couple of centimetres higher or lower and would have worked properly. The door retainer catch works and is fitted correctly.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Seeing my caravan came from Couplands Caravan dealer at louth and it been fitted since new i am sure they know what side to fit it on The retainer catch is on the right side when you are going in through the door

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
The door on my van opens to the left. Your reference to Louth takes me back. When I was young, more years ago than i care to remember, my sister and I used to spend time in the summer holidays on my uncle's farm in Stewton. Happy days.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Beachball. The handle on my van could not have been fitted as close to the door as shown in your photo because of internal fitting but it could have easily been put a couple of centimetres higher or lower and would have worked properly. The door retainer catch works and is fitted correctly.
I would say if you want to keep the handle lower/ Higher as it is that your choice ..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When did you purchase the caravan as it does not matter how old it is when you purchased from the dealership. John has given you the correct advice regarding it not being fit for purpose. It is the dealer's responsibility to sort out the issue.

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I got great service from the dealer when I bought the van, they really went above and beyond what I expected. They included some extras and fitted some things i had acquired at no cost. The handle doesn't work as a security feature but to complain I think would be disproportionate to the value and service I got. I very much appreciate your advice but that is not a route I propose to take. I suspect the dealers were completely unaware of this having been fitted incorrectly.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I got great service from the dealer when I bought the van, they really went above and beyond what I expected. They included some extras and fitted some things i had acquired at no cost. The handle doesn't work as a security feature but to complain I think would be disproportionate to the value and service I got. I very much appreciate your advice but that is not a route I propose to take. I suspect the dealers were completely unaware of this having been fitted incorrectly.
Your choice, but why not have a word with the dealer before tackling it yourself? They may be happy to do it for you without any charge and will do a professional job that will not affect any warranty.

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
By way of an update the handle now works as intended. Drilled out the rivets, shortened the handle and had it riveted back onto the brackets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts