Milkman

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just as I got home from work, was a knock on the door, two guy asking people if they are interest having milk deliver to your door, So I said sorry as I work shift work, they said we can deliver early, How early I ask, reply was 8.30am, can't you deliver before5am like in the old day before the weather get warm, no fun having warm milk or it gone off, have known in the past someone use to nick it and drink it, But I wish them good luck, and do you still have your milk deliver by your milkman?

Trevor

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
There is still a milkman delivering up our cul-de-sac, same local farming family being doing it for generations.

I normally go out of my way to support local business, and was prepared to pay substantially more to help keep this proud tradition alive, BUT the milk was always unusable by tea-time! As a result I stopped it (mega-sulk by milkmans son, the family are all big lads and play/played professional rugby so don`t mess with them when they`ve had a beer) because I think they just play on the `local` theme rather than quality.

I`d happily have my milk delivered if it was `fit for purpose`.

It would also save me travelling a fair distance if I need some as since the ownership change at our local convenience store I won`t spend any money there either as the new owners and there `extended family` think it is beneath them to mutter `please` or `thank you` even when their customers do.

The other half thinks I am a miserable sod (I won`t deny that!) but I think it`s a matter of principle

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Our milk is delivered by a local farmer and is excellent and lasts for ages. Maybe that is because we have skimmed milk. They also sell and deliver quite a lot of other things. They have recently opened a Farm shop in the village and souce food fom the local area. When we first moved here our neighbour had a farm next to us with a small herd of Jersey cows. He had a small milk processing shed and we got the milk from him almost fresh from the cow. Sadly he had to stop farming and has subsequently moved away. His old house is now a highly expensive posh house (complete with posh people) and his barns and land sort of moulder away

Gill

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Trevor

My 18 year old works as a milkman for a local dairyman,they finish deliveries to the houses on their round by about 7am for the reasons you say with milk being left on the doorstep all day

Business delivery can usually wait till after this time

His boss says that he has had to adapt over the years as its no longer a case of waving hubby off to work and the wife being in all day to collect the milk if delivered late

I know there is a price to pay for the milk being delivered like this but I feel there is a bigger price if the service stops,my son has being doing this for two years now and has lost count of the number of burglars,late-night fights or attacks,crashes he has reported to the police not to mention the elderly or those who live on their own who he has checked on if the milk has not moved from one day to the next,sometimes its nothing but occasionally they have prevented a slow painful death because they found that a customer had fallen and couldnt move

And as for long life,well I'd rather not (milk that is )

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
We have our milk delivered at five every other morning by an english milkman.the milk is from english cows from an english farm which is just a few miles away.and it comes in bottles made of glass which can be used again and again unlike the plastic containers sold by supermarkets.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I use to live near London, we had a milkman,one of them use to dress up like Tom Jone and sing like him too, you can hear him coming down the road singing, but a few time the milk was late, you know why!! but we also had a baker on the round as well, They were the good old days even when you go on hoilday they use to keep a eye on the place for you, oh bring back the good old days. Trevor

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

My wife and I work full time.Whilst trying to support our local milkman we gave up in the end because the milk was left on our doorstep all day,which in the winter was fine but as the weather warmed up no good.

Last time (I think it was last year) a guy came round trying to drum up business, but because he couldn't deliver before we went to work,we said no.

It's a shame really as I think the milk tastes better.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had a milkman for 23 years but have recently stopped our order. We buy milk from the local co-op one mile away.

I do feel sorry for the milkman, 20 years ago when francise rounds came in, they made a mint, but now people only want cheapness (ourselves included) and it has resulted in the demise of the milman (or woman).

Lisa

May 21, 2007
Visit site
I reckon you must be right Brian.

We also had a milkman called Ernie and he always told us that HE drove the fastest milkcart, and because he was a milkman I believed him.Wouldn't you!!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts