Millau assistance needed please.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi all; I am in the South of France and thinking of moving to the Les Peupliers site near Millau in the next few days. I wondered if any of you wise people have travelled into Millau from the South, and if so, would like to know if the route is suitable for caravans? I guess it should be as it is via an N road, but it certainly looks a little steep and bendy on my map.
Thanks in advance for your anticipated help.
By the way it is brilliant down here, but may be a bit too hot for some - we had 40C on the car thermometer today (when parked,) which reduced to around 37C once travelling.
Enjoy your holidays,
Trevor M

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The route from the south down into Millau is fine. Yes it is has a few bends and a low gear is in order for some way; prior to the opening of the Millau Bridge this was the accepted route north/south/north for all vehicles. We have done this journey many times with no problems at all. You could of course cross the bridge and then drop down into Millau but it will cost you €10 to do so! the only comment I would make is that as a personal preference I would choose a site nearer the town of Millau, Camping Les Peupliers is actually located in Riviere sur Tarn some way out of Millau. I can recommend Camping les Rivages at Millau, approx 1 mile from town centre. It accepts ACSI cards ( in season) and is a well run site on the banks of the river.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Where exactly are you? There are lots of routes into Millau, but unless you say where you are setting off from I'm not sure anyone can give you correct advice. We've been to Les Peupliers lots of times, and there are few routes which aren't suitable for caravans, and we did meet a couple there who had taken twenty-four hours coming over the mountains on completely unsuitable roads, thanks their SatNav! The A75 from Montpellier or Beziers to Millau is no problem whatsoever, but some of the other roads in that area are a bit 'hairy/scary' but still doable (we did them recently after a 'diversion'). State where you are and I can probably give you step by step advice to get where you want to be - as it's an area we've visited about fifty times over the last thirty two years!
Having been to both Les Peupliers and Les Rivages many times, I'd say both are an equally good choice, with Les Peupliers being the quieter site of the two, and better for access to the Gorges du Tarn.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. Val A, we are at Vendres Plage, so will be travelling North on the A75 before 'dropping down' via Millau itself. Your comments on Les Peupliers are much appreciated, since we are hoping to visit the Gorges du Tarn etc.
Once again, thanks to both for your replies.
Enjoy your holidays,
Trevor M

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
If the bridge and its construction is of interest I can highly recommend the coach tour of the area below the bridge.
It departs from the bridge centre in the town and give a good commentary, the guide we had likes people to think he is French but is actually German, if you do the tour he will bring up the subject of his nationality - surprise him.
The photographic oportunities are fantastic.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Coming up the A75 and then dropping down into Millau is no problem. Come off at La Cavalerie and take what was the main road down into Millau. There is a fantastic view of the viaduct and Millau as you turn the corner after the long straight bit. Keep a look out for vultures overhead as you cross the Larzac after La Cavalerie. The road down into Millau is quite winding, but perfectly doable, and not as hazardous as it once was when large sections were alternating three lanes, with no central barrier! Hairy stuff sometimes. Take the Millau bypass, (signposed Rodez/Cahors) and if you choose Les Rivages, it's a right turn after about 500m, over the bridge, and then take the right fork. If you decide on Les Peupliers, then take the D809 towards Aguessac (where the Rodez/Cahors route goes off to the left), and then after about three or four kilometres a fairly sharp right turn takes you towards Riviere sur Tarn. Beware there are some hefty road humps on the section from Aguessac to Riviere - so keep your speed right down. We've grounded on them more than once!
There will be vultures overhead almost every day, if the weather is warm, and this year we saw them much further north up the A75 than we've ever seen them before! From Les Peupliers, do have a look around the Chateau du Peyrelade - where you might be high enough to see a vulture flying below you!

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi again. Thanks everyone for your very helpful information. We arrived today at Les Peupliers with no problems and so far are very pleased with the site. We have an unexpected bonus (if we decide to stay longer, and we probably will,) in that the site has extended the cut off date for Camping Cheques until 10th July. It was 1st July in the CChq book. Val, I see what you mean about the road bumps - I did ground the jockey wheel on the first of these but was more careful after that.
Thanks again, and enjoy your holidays.
Trevor M.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We once arrived three days before they started accepting Camping Cheques in August, and at the end of our stay they accepted Camping Cheques for the whole stay. I hope you have lovely weather, and enjoy the holiday.
We may be back there in August this year, as we fancy a bit more canoeing.

TRENDING THREADS