mimimum stay 3 nights

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
why do sites have to do this,for me its just pure greed.sites are jumping on the bandwagon in the knowledge that caravanning has taken off.demand now for touring pitches has never been so high.supply and demand means we have to pay through the nose for a pitch.most people work till late friday,hitch up friday night to somewhere near enough(1-11/2 hrs) then pack up sunday, ready for work monday,why should we have to pay that extra night?????????/

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John, Simple answer the site owners can basically set whatever limits they wish and it is up to the customer to decide if they like the goods or not, dont like - dont buy. If enough caravanners stop using these site then the owners will notice it where it hurts most - in thier pockets, and supply a demmand will make them think again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Being new to this, I thought it was just Bank Holiday weekends which was the case on our first and only trip so far at Wellington Park. I hope we are not going to be faced with this problem for future sites we wanted to tour in the area we live, like the majority we can only do max 2 nights for the majority of the season?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hypothetically if you stay after the departure time (which is usually 12.00 hrs) you could be depriving the site owner of one nites pitch fee. extrapolate that simple fact and you can see why site owners charge extra.

After all we want everything in our favour don't we.

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
I think if you ask question re this subject the sites are getting the same people block booking the sites every weekend throughout the year, thus filling up the site. Then say you wish to book on a wednesday for 7 days ie to following wednesday the site then cannot take your booking because weekends are full with people making block bookings.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hypothetically if you stay after the departure time (which is usually 12.00 hrs) you could be depriving the site owner of one nites pitch fee. extrapolate that simple fact and you can see why site owners charge extra.

After all we want everything in our favour don't we.
not the case,flower of may group scarborough stated that it was company policy a minimum three night stay if booked more than 1 week in advance,if you wanted to wait till last minute(no pitches left syndrome)you could book for 2 nights,if you want that site you are in a no win situation ,what they are saying either like it or lump it

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
not the case of overstaying more the case of overcharging,as it was,a leisure group in scarborough said it was company policy minimun 3 nights stay if you booked more than 1 week in advance of stay.if you booked less than 1 week(no pitches left syndrome)you could book for 2 nights(pitch availability)so if you want to go to that particular site,and its popular,it smacks to me they are saying 'like it or lump it'

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
sounds ideal 4 me being self employed i like to go thursday till tuesday ,there's nothing worse than calling a site and they say its booked and when u pop down to have a look on friday its half empty and monday its almost empty ,so u cant blame them 4 taking the 4 night customer against the 2 nighters ,i did start going on a sunday at one time and as i drove around the best pitches were taken and then just as got the awning up they would all start making a move not one would say we are going soon u can come in here if you like , so now i tend to go mid week

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I visited a hotel the other week, and my booking was on condition that if I was not arriving before 6.0pm I must phone to tell them I would after the time stipulated. Also if I did not put in a appearance my deposit would be forfeit and with possible further charges if they could not sell the room.

If you go on a holiday you will not get possession of your room until about 2.00pm on the day of arrival and you must vacate in all cases before 10.00am.

In some cases a courtesy room may be available for a set time so you can wash and brush up if your flight was at a late time.

now the caravan club only stipulate an arrival time if entry and late arrivals space is scarce. Also on the day of departure the stipulate that you leave before noon, and if they can let you stay after noon it is at the disgression of the warden this to be reasonable if site occupancy is low.

I would however advocate that the deposit system be reinstated as I beleive it was being abused by people who booked pitches on a number of sites for the same period and then selected which one they would go to depending on the weather.

I being retired adopt an attitude of booking a site from monday to friday therefore leaving the weekend free for people who cannot go through the week.

When I am going for a week or more I travel on a Friday and leave on a Friday. this way I do not take up a weekend

IMHO - I beleive that people think that the site industry is not a creditable business, but whether its the CC/CC&C/private sits the need every pitch filled for as much of the season as possible.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The answer to the question is:- supply and demand.

Apart from the summer school holidays, most sites are full to bursting at weekends but with sparte capacity during the week. Some sites do charge more for Fri/Sat/Sun nights to reflect this demand.

During peak season, some sites have a minimum of 7 nights.

When demand exceeds supply, don't expect cheap or fair prices. Most caravanners would not work the weekend for the same hourly rate as Mon-Fri, so why expect site staff to?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've been spoilt by the likes of Billing Aquadrome. Turn up when you feel like it. Leave when you feel like it up until 10pm. Pitch more or less where you want and no 'extras' like

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having always ivied close to the south coast ports many campsites have an "overnight spot" - for those who want to travel down and overnight somewhere before boarding their Ferry.

Other sites who did not want this stipulated 2 or 3 nights min.

This I can understand but sites that do not want w/e trade - Fri & Sat night - by stipulating you must pay for Sunday night - i.e. 3 night min - must surely be cutting off their noses to spite their faces?

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
In answer to Shiraz's comment about people abusing the CC's online booking system the software doesn't let you hold two sites at the same time so at least that has done away with people abusing the system. I asked one warden about people abusing the system by cancelling at the last minute (having not paid a deposit) and the warden didn't have any issues with the new system in fact she said it was people who paid deposits who caused more issues by tying up more of their time in admin -I guess by credits being raised etc.

What really gets me is the way some sites charge for every little thing - the awning charge is the best one, I could understand if it's on a site with grass pitches to pay for pitch maintenance but on a hard standing ???

Regards Monkey's Husband

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are also quite a lot of CL/CS's doing this too especially at bank holidays. Always avoid these. I even know of one who asks for 4 nights minimum on a bank holidays (near Whitby)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In answer to Shiraz's comment about people abusing the CC's online booking system the software doesn't let you hold two sites at the same time so at least that has done away with people abusing the system. I asked one warden about people abusing the system by cancelling at the last minute (having not paid a deposit) and the warden didn't have any issues with the new system in fact she said it was people who paid deposits who caused more issues by tying up more of their time in admin -I guess by credits being raised etc.

What really gets me is the way some sites charge for every little thing - the awning charge is the best one, I could understand if it's on a site with grass pitches to pay for pitch maintenance but on a hard standing ???

Regards Monkey's Husband
Monkey's Husband. you are correct to say that the online booking has now been changed to stop multiple bookings for the same time etc. However as I mostly book online I cannot say whether the same applies with phone bookings. I, my conservations with wardens have said that (with a wry grin) that the system is new etc.etc.etc.

My beef with commercial sites is that the sometimes double book particularly at peak and bank holiday times, and when you arrive they proceed to have a take it or leave attitude and cram you on to the site. they in that instance are breaking their conditions of licence, and do not provide any extra basic amenities such as loos, showers, water points etc. but you can bet your last penny that the bar will be well stocked. This to date has not happened at the CC and to my knowledge the C&CC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts