Mines up until October

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Having recently purchased a nice new Dorema awning I was wondering if I now hold the record for putting it up 5 hours!!!

Our van is on a seasonal pitch so we couldnt practice out of sight, mistake one. But hey I'm an engineer how hard can it be???

So we unpack the box and the boss says I'll read the instructions, Assemble the frame she says, missing out the vital assemble the frame components. So working from a sheet of paper resembling the line drawing of the Forth road bridge, I set to. An hour later I had something resembling a frame. Reappearing she says now attach it to the clippy things, very technical. Of course those experts amongst you will recognise that you cannot put the whole frame in the clippy things. So after dismantling the rude word thing I eventually get the fram in a semi erect position, dont worry Tina it goes up eventually!!!!!

We pulled the canvas over and things start to go well and we zip the doors and windows back in. Its now been 3 hours!!!

Well try as we might we could not get rid of the huge baggy bits over the windows, I tensioned un-tensioned and got fairly tense myself. And behind us we had an expert, there is always one. Shall I ask him she quips. Men will not be surprised that I declined, but half an hour later, it was pack it up or seek help. So I of course sent her round.well for more than an hour we all tried and the air was thick with expletives and small children were in fear. When around comes his wife, wondered where you were she says and did you realise that the doors are in the wrong sides, silence followed by zipping noises and low and behold the finest erection on the site sprang into view, all due to his wife!!!!

As I sais its staying up till October.

May 18, 2005
Visit site
OOOPS !

LAY OUT POLES IN THEIR RELEVANT POSITIONS----

PULL AWNING INTO CHANNEL-----

FIT AND TENSION CENTRE POLE AND UPRIGHT(THIS WILL STAY IN PLACE WHILST YOU TACKLE THE REST...

ENSURE THE TOP BITS AT THE OUTER EDGE OF AWNING HAVE THE LONG TUBES TOWARDS VAN...

HAVE DOREMA MADISON 950 WITH BEDROOM ANNEXE MYSELF..

GOOD LUCK !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just got our first van (mid 90s) having a weekend away with Barbara and Harry, (oldest friends, since 60s, me and H served in Army together)Harry is "expert" caravanner, going to show me the ropes!! We arrive on site first, Brown Moor, Hawes. Weather bright but very blustery. Get set up, not too bad for the first time, don't have awning yet, but H is going to show me how simple it is to put one up.

B&H arrive, get legs down, kettle on. Right, says H, lets get the awning up, I usually do it in about 20 minutes........Awning in slot, centre pole in position, but locating pin broken off, wind increasing, "No problem" says "H", just get a couple of pegs into ground. Ground rock hard, no rock pegs, "H" breaks two pegs, starts to swear.

Barbara comes out to assist,"Hold centre pole" says "H" while I get one of the corners up". Erects corner puts in a couple of pegs, seems secure. I'm holding corner pole "O.K Barbara, you can let go now", Barbara lets go, centre pole slips, awning collapses, steam coming out of "Hs" ears, getting very windy now. Try again, but fighting losing battle, "H" won't give in. Awning collapses again, can see "H" is on the ragged edge. Barbara and Joan both assisting with holding poles, now a howling gale blowing.

"Can't resist it, "KEEP HER INTO THE WIND MR CHRISTIAN" shouts I in my best Charles Laughton voice.

"F.++!! It" shouts "H", slams peg hammer into ground, rolls awning up into a ball, jams it into car, throws poles under van, storms off!!

Next morning, wind dropped, awning up in 20 minutes, alls right with the world, nice first trip, learned a lot.

Still best of friends, meeting up with B & H in Sept, hope it's not too windy.......

Barney.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts