Mini-Heki DIY repair

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Am I just heavy-handed, or is the mechanism of the internal frame of these things particularly fragile?
After five trouble-free years, I've had the same issue twice now. The internal frame of a Mini-Heki includes the corrugated blind & flyscreen, each of which you just pull across manually. There's a system of four strings inside the frame which keeps everything smooth and even.
I heard a crack while operating it, and found one of these strings hanging loose, diagonally across the opening. The internal frame is just clipped in place, so I popped it off to have a look. Turns out each string is kept in place by two plastic tabs, which are moulded as part of the leading bars of the blind and flyscreen. It was one of these tabs which had broken off.
In spite of the frame having numerous removable moving parts, turns out you can only buy the whole frame, so I couldn't buy a replacement for the actual broken bit. So I started looking for a way to "fix" it. Sure enough, I found a place where I could run a piece of wire round the plastic bar, to anchor the string exactly where the plastic tab used to hold it. Clipped the frame back in place, and Bob's your uncle.
A little while later the same thing happened again. at first, i assumed my repair hadn't been so wonderful after all, but when I removed the frame again I found my bit of wire still in place and doing its job. It was another plastic tab, off another corner, which had broken!
So today I've doen the same fix on that second corner, and all seems fine again.
Call me a cheapskate, but I resent being asked to pay out for a whole expensive bit of kit just because the manufacturers choose not to sell parts separately. If anyone has the same problem, and wants a more detailed description I'll quite happily e-mail it - just ask on here. You don't need to publish your e-m address, as a Mod I can access that (but of course I don't, unless you ask me to!).

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Well done Tony. I hate not being able to buy simple spares as well. Do we see a manufacturing and marketing opportunity arising to boost the Essex economy?
smiley-smile.gif

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm . hadn't thought of that Graham.
But I DO get annoyed when manufactures not only use non-repairable plastic for "structural" components, but also refuse to let you buy the broken bit on its own, even though it's removable!
Pauline (PJay, over on the "dark side") suggested I e-mail the manufacturers, which I've done (even though they're now in Sweden). Won't hold my breath though!

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi Tony

Sorry,I am on the dark side, a caravan, but have the same issue.

As you say, one of the tabs on the 'blind' side has broken, but on taking the unit down, both strings pinged out. Can you let me have any details you have please, maybe if you have a pic of the repair,and of how the strings thread?

Forever in your debt!!!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mike, welcome.
And don't put yourself down, caravanning isn't the "dark side," just a different choice! I was referring to another forum altogether.
It's a while since I did this repair, so as soon as I have time (later in the week) I'll have another look to refresh my memory, and try to photograph the setup. As a Mod, I can access the e-m address you registered with, is it ok if I use it for this?

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Rather than you being heavy handed Tony, I suspect they have gone brittle in the sun especially as you are regulars to the hotter climes a la France.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Could be, John - but still raises questions about manufacturers' choice of materials & spare parts policy, not to mention "fitness for purpose" since a rooflight is supposed to be in the sunshine!
It seems mine isn't an isolated case though, so maybe I should look into whether there's somewhere on the PMH website where I can put details of my DIY repair. LIZZIE? KATE?

516yuanyuan

BANNED
May 16, 2016
Visit site
cartier watches for sale
ray ban sunglasses
new balance outlet
valentino shoes
gucci outlet
abercrombie and fitch
converse shoes
dior sunglasses
burberry handbags
oakley sunglasses,oakley sunglass,cheap oakley sunglasses,oakley sunglasses cheap,oakley sunglasses outlet,oakley store,oakley outlet,oakley outlet store,oakley sunglasses sale,oakley sunglasses discount
mizuno running shoes
reebok outlet
kate spade outlet
lululemon sale
longchamp outlet
ray ban sunglasses
rolex submariner
coach outlet store online
stephen curry shoes
toms outlet
kate spade outlet
levis 501
michael kors bags
designer handbags
louboutin shoes
cheap jordans
nike free runs
adidas supercolor
nike roshe run women
hollister co
yeezy boost 350
burberry outlet online
adidas trainers
coach factory outlet online
basketball shoes
chaussure louboutin
versace
omega watches
michael kors outlet
cheap air max
ray ban sunglass,ray ban sunglasses,ray ban outlet,cheap ray bans,cheap ray ban sunglasses,cheap ray bans,ray bans
vans outlet
louboutin outlet
ecco shoes
michael kors outlet clearance
ghd flat iron
sac longchamp
canada goose jackets
coach purses
coach outlet online
coach outlet online
adidas nmd
michael kors outlet
instyler max
oakley sunglasses wholesale
versace sunglasses
toms shoes
adidas nmd
prada outlet
adidas superstars
ralph lauren
air max 95
coach factory outlet
longchamp bag
chi flat iron
armani jeans
oakley outlet
reebok uk
true religion outlet
michael kors handbags
fitflops sale clearance
polo ralph lauren
lacoste outlet
cheap jordan shoes
ralph lauren outlet online
michael kors outlet
adidas nmd
nike store uk
skechers shoes
louis vuitton borse
rolex watches
ralph lauren uk
nba jerseys wholesale
christian louboutin
louis vuitton pas cher
nmd adidas
cheap nfl jerseys
sac longchamp pliage
yeezy boost 350
converse all star
hollister sale
michael kors outlet
burberry
ralph lauren outlet
lululemon outlet
oakey sunglasses wholesale
burberry uk
christian louboutin shoes
coach outlet
yeezy boost 350 white
pandora jewelry
michael kors outlet
adidas shoes uk
asics shoes
hermes belt
polo ralph lauren
kate spade outlet
yeezy boost 350
designer handbags outlet
lacoste shoes
adidas nmd white
toms shoes
supra shoes
bottega veneta handbags
nike air max
ugg outlet
supra for sale
gucci handbags outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet online
ray ban outlet
nhl jerseys wholesale
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet online
louboutin outlet
adidas pure boost
pandora charms
louis vuitton bags
cheap ray-ban sunglasses
michael kors bags
adidas superstar
cheap oakleys outlet
oakley sunglasses
coach factory outlet
burberry outlet
nike cortez white
nike trainers
nike air max 90
kate spade outlet
louboutin pas cher
nike tn
micahel kors
converse shoes
michael kors outlet
prada sunglasses
polo ralph lauren
hermes uk
cartier watches
adidas shoes
asics gel nimbus
mlb jerseys wholesale
converse
coach outlet
adidas stan smith
nike cortez
polo ralph lauren
louis vuitton outlet online
coach factory outlet
cheap jordans
oakley sunglasses outlet
air force 1
rolex replica watches
cheap ray ban sunglasses
toms wedges
cheap ray ban outlet
polo ralph lauren
oakley sunglasses outlet
coach factory outlet
michael kors handbags
ed hardy uk
nike blazer
ray ban sunglasses
under armour shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
christian louboutin uk
fitflop uk
coach outlet
jimmy choo shoes
nike huarache black
running shoes
cheap oakleys
jordan pas cher
polo ralph lauren outlet
valentino outlet
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet stores
omega seamaster
fitflops shoes
ralph lauren outlet
cheap nike shoes
true religion outlet
coach outlet online
coach outlet clearance
gucci borse
nike air max uk
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren pas cher
true religion
louis vuitton outlet
fitflops outlet
reebok shoes
ferragamo shoes
ghd hair straighteners
nike air max
cheap nfl jerseys
michael kors handbags
hollister
salvatore ferragamo
michael kors handbags
ed hardy outlet
michael kors handbags
wholesale nike shoes
ray ban sunglasses
true religion jeans
jordans shoes
michael kors outlet online
adidas gazelle
nike huarache
michael kors purses
fitflops sale
vans shoes
jimmy choo outlet
ray-ban sunglasses
burberry outlet
yeezy boost 350 black
canada goose jackets
michael kors handbags
oakley sunglasses
fitflops sale
ray bans
michael kors handbags
louis vuitton outlet online
oakley sunglasses
reebok
under armour outlet
ugg outlet
nike air max
bottega veneta
armani exchange
air jordans
michael kors handbgas
puma shoes
cheap jordans
babyliss flat iron
"Lowry scores 35, DeRozan has 28, Raptors beat Heat 116-89
TORONTO (AP) — Kyle Lowry scored 35 points, DeMar DeRozan had 28 and the Toronto Raptors beat the Miami Heat 116-89 on Sunday in Game 7 to reach the conference finals for the first time in franchise history.

Bismack Biyombo added 17 points and 16 rebounds for the Raptors. They'll open the Eastern Conference Finals in Cleveland against LeBron James and the Cavaliers on Tuesday night. Toronto fans chanted 'We Want Cleveland!' in the seconds.

Pause
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:00
Loaded : 0%Progress : 0%0:00
Fullscreen
00:00
Mute
DeMarre Carroll scored 14 points, and Patrick Patterson had 11 to help the Raptors become the 15th team in NBA history to win two Game 7s in one postseason. Toronto beat Indiana in the first round.

Dwyane Wade and Goran Dragic each scored 16 points for the Heat. They were denied the opportunity to renew acquaintances with former teammate James in the conference finals
But after Toronto dominated the Heat in the second half and rode the superior play of Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan to a 116-89 romp, the Raptors won the series 4-3 and advanced to its first East Finals. For once, they did not underachieve. They played like a team that had won 56 games in the regular-season. They’ve been in existence since 1995-96 and had been out of the first round just once before this spring. Before Sunday’s rout of the Heat, they had been mostly known through the years for losing big playoff games, often at home.

So Canada loves it, but basketball fans won’t be able to see the Heat try to exact some revenge against James for leaving Miami two years ago as a free agent. Even James admitted during the second-round series against Atlanta that he wanted to play Wade, his old teammate, for the right to get to the Finals."
grhtrh

Apr 11, 2018
Visit site
I realise this a old post but I have the same problem as the OP and would love to know how to repair it, don't really want to spend £80 just because the manufacturer won't supply spare parts!

Please feel free to access my email addy.

Apr 11, 2018
Visit site
All sorted. Drilled a tiny hole under the broken plastic peg and used a paper clip to repair it, works a treat and far better than spending £80+ on a new blind ;)

Jul 2, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem with the string coming away on my mini heki rooflight blind and would appreciate a few tips on how to sort this out without buying a whole new unit. Also, any ideas on where I can get a length of the rubber seal that goes around the rooflight. Cheers, Terry

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Stumpy, welcome.
As you'll see from the dates, it was a few years ago I did this, and I don't have that van anymore.
But from memory, if you "pop off" the whole inner frame, without dislodging the strings which are still in place, you'll find that the strings are routed round plastic protrusions on each end of both the blind and the flyscreen (ie four in all). One of those will have broken, leaving the string loose.
The trick is to inspect the "good" ones to see where to route the string correctly, and use a bit of wire to hold it in place, where the broken bit of plastic used to be.
That's about the best I can offer now, sorry!

Jul 2, 2018
Visit site
Hi Tony, thanks for the advice about fixing the strings where the plastic tab has broken. I've been avoiding the problem since I found the price of a replacement .Cheers Stumpy

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
Hi. I have had the same problem. Could you e mail me how you managed to get the strings to stay in place, as I’ve tried all sorts but to no avail.
Pictures would be good if at all possible.

Many Thanks

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
As I said, I don't have that van anymore, or any photos. Basically, it was a matter of examining the unbroken corners to see where the string was supposed to be routed, around the plastic lugs, then, where the lug was broken, I wound a bit of wire round the frame to hold the string in the same place.
Sorry I can't be more precise! Hope you get it sorted.

Aug 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi Tony
I know your post 're the mini heki is a few years old now, but I've just done the same. You say the cassette just unclips from the roof. Before I start levering against the roof with a screwdriver, I am assuming there are some clips or similar holding it on. Suggestions welcome please
Regards
Jim dale

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The surround just pulls off, but they are very stiff to move but dont use a screwdriver, if needed, use a wide flat bladed instrument to reduce any damage to the frame.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts