Mirrors?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
All of the points raised on here regarding mirrors are good sound points that back up or query the current laws, all of this is all well and good but I am not the only person who will have regularly seen people with no mirrors fitted who disregard the law and obviously get away with it and without a doubt will continue to get away with it, more and more often things like mirrors, speed cameras not actually being switched on, calls to the police being ignored etc etc etc all are giving rise to people becoming less law abiding when they see fit, people often don’t abide by laws because they agree but rather abide because they don’t want to get nicked and get points on their license and a fine, I’d be surprised if the likelihood of getting nicked for no mirrors was any more likely than winning the lottery, until people start getting nicked for these types of offence it’s going to become more and more the norm. I read recently some police forces now have none of their cameras switched on, the only reason they still have deterrent value is because we don’t know which ones are on, but more and more there’s a bag over the camera saying not in use, it’s gonna be a long time to get the police forces suitably financed in my opinion.

BP

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Buckman said:
I am not sure why my comment was removed as John asked a question and I was unsure what he was asking about as I thought my previous post made perfect sense and one would realise that I was referring to the rear view camera? IMHO I thought John's response was rather rude, but obviously it was not. If we had been face to face then there would have been no issue. I notice that the moderator has not removed your comment so I guess the moderator has taken a dislike to myself.

One of the problems with internet forums is that the reader relies solely on the written word (and sometimes attached images), it is very easy to write something and not give consideration as to how how others might interpret the comment or intent.

And since we are 'not face to face' it can easily go very wrong, it is what it is and we should minimise the likliehood of misunderstandings as best we can.

I very much doubt that a moderator has removed your comment because he has taken a dislike to you, my opinion was that the comment read like a questioning of the recipient's intelligence.

But Hey-Ho, I'm know that I have carelessly constructed forum responses badly in the past, I hope to do better this year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Beehpee said:
All of the points raised on here regarding mirrors are good sound points that back up or query the current laws, all of this is all well and good but I am not the only person who will have regularly seen people with no mirrors fitted who disregard the law and obviously get away with it and without a doubt will continue to get away with it, more and more often things like mirrors, speed cameras not actually being switched on, calls to the police being ignored etc etc etc all are giving rise to people becoming less law abiding when they see fit, people often don’t abide by laws because they agree but rather abide because they don’t want to get nicked and get points on their license and a fine, I’d be surprised if the likelihood of getting nicked for no mirrors was any more likely than winning the lottery, until people start getting nicked for these types of offence it’s going to become more and more the norm. I read recently some police forces now have none of their cameras switched on, the only reason they still have deterrent value is because we don’t know which ones are on, but more and more there’s a bag over the camera saying not in use, it’s gonna be a long time to get the police forces suitably financed in my opinion.

BP

I use extended mirrors principally because I want the best possible view of what’s around me when driving. Using extension mirrors then allows me to adjust the cars mirrors slightly such that I can see the caravan wheels without detriment to my ability to see vehicles/ cyclist etc on the off side or nearside which the extension mirrors provide. An added advantage is that I’m legally compliant.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
Buckman said:
I am not sure why my comment was removed as John asked a question and I was unsure what he was asking about as I thought my previous post made perfect sense and one would realise that I was referring to the rear view camera? IMHO I thought John's response was rather rude, but obviously it was not. If we had been face to face then there would have been no issue. I notice that the moderator has not removed your comment so I guess the moderator has taken a dislike to myself.

One of the problems with internet forums is that the reader relies solely on the written word (and sometimes attached images), it is very easy to write something and not give consideration as to how how others might interpret the comment or intent.

And since we are 'not face to face' it can easily go very wrong, it is what it is and we should minimise the likliehood of misunderstandings as best we can.

I very much doubt that a moderator has removed your comment because he has taken a dislike to you, my opinion was that the comment read like a questioning of the recipient's intelligence.

But Hey-Ho, I'm know that I have carelessly constructed forum responses badly in the past, I hope to do better this year.

I wasn't going to respond to such a trivial matter but to forestall any further off topic speculation, I took down a response that appeared to be a sharp and slightly unnecessary riposte in a discussion which was supposed to be about towing mirrors.
It was no big deal at the time as far as I was concerned, my action was simply meant to put the brakes on further potentially argumentative off topic points scoring from anyone who took part in the debate and was certainly not done out of malice or any perceived personal animosity toward somebody that I don't know.
If all forum members would care to read the Terms and Conditions which govern the use of this forum with particular regard to: 5 Member Conduct the forum will continue to be a friendly trouble free internet resource with little or no intervention from moderators.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Many drivers are completely unaware of the existence of blind spots when looking in mirrors and the dangers thereof .............indeed the OP would seem to suggest this with their question.

Such a driver would not see the need for towing mirrors.......in their mind they think they have an adequate view to the rear.
They likely have no idea they are breaking the law.

Similarly many drivers are not aware of the dangers of loitering alongside a vehicle that is likely to have large blind spots........... for example large left hand drive HGV's or caravan outfits with no towing mirrors fitted.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree , I took a mirror out of my bus a few months ago whilst connecting with the bus stop (first one in over 10 years) :blush: gutted ; but that was it ; (I'm sure the bus stop moved) :p but bus was stood still for 2o minutes until a replacement bus came to swap over , not allowed to move without a mirror on either side .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I agree , I took a mirror out of my bus a few months ago whilst connecting with the bus stop (first one in over 10 years) :blush: gutted ; but that was it ; (I'm sure the bus stop moved) :p but bus was stood still for 2o minutes until a replacement bus came to swap over , not allowed to move without a mirror on either side .
Clearly the bus stop was incorrectly positioned too close to the kerb :whistle:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Craigyoung said:
Clearly the bus stop was incorrectly positioned too close to the kerb :whistle:

I digress. Where we live there is an old river bridge with a very narrow pavement on each side and it takes mainstream traffic. Its amazing that there hasn't been an accident caused by commercial vehicle mirrors hitting pedestrian as when two vehicle pass their mirrors overhang the pavement at head height. I always walk towards oncoming traffic for that reason.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi OtherClive,
Walking on the same side as oncoming traffic, is common sense. I thought this was part of the country code too.
Regards,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lappy said:
Hi OtherClive,
Walking on the same side as oncoming traffic, is common sense. I thought this was part of the country code too.
Regards,

It is a part of the Countryside Code, but the bridge in question is a long medieval town bridge on a very busy through route in our town. It has two pavements, one on either side for pedestrians. So it’s not normal in towns to walk facing oncoming traffic as you should on country lanes.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:

I clipped the rear underride bar of an artic with the passenger side door mirror in my last car a few years ago... Took a chunk out of the painted mirror cap (no big deal), but the force of it being folded in against the door exploded the mirror glass, destroyed the internal mechanism for adjustment and made a mess of the door paintwork.

Had no option but to continue my journey, but it made me hyper-conscious of just how much I used that mirror; I have no idea how people* can drive with the passenger door mirror folded in. £90 for a door mirror from a Volvo breakers later, I replaced it myself (as it was £450 for the dealers to do it), but the car died before I repainted the 'new' mirror cap :( .

*I know someone that will habitually drive with the passenger mirror folded in - I guess this is from the days of 1 wing mirror on the drivers side.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts