missing alko stabiliser

Apr 27, 2008
Visit site
I have just bought a Bailey Senator 9000 from Ropers in Washington Tyne and Wear which was "sold as seen" as they had taken it in as a part ex. It had a pre sales check before we picked it up yesterday and had no problems.

However now I've picked it up I've found that they've taken off the Alko 1300 stabilser which was already fitted and replaced it with Alko coupling.

Has anybody else experienced this before I go round first thing in tghe morning and rip their arms off?

I've been told that this is common trick by caravan companies as they then sell them second hand. i was never told that there was a problem with it as if there was I would have asked them to repair it or put a new one on.

any suggestions?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin, if the Al-Ko1300 was on the van when you viewed and agreed to purchase, and no mention of changing it was made, then the "dealer", in the loosest sense, has acted illegally and must replace it.

Apr 27, 2008
Visit site
Martin, if the Al-Ko1300 was on the van when you viewed and agreed to purchase, and no mention of changing it was made, then the "dealer", in the loosest sense, has acted illegally and must replace it.
Thanks thats what i thought. Fortunately my son took some pictures of it on his mobile afer we paid the deposit so I'll be round there first thing.

Apr 27, 2008
Visit site
Damian I've been onto the dealers who have told me that they replaced on safety grounds as the stabilsers were worn? I've asked for them to give it to me so I can have it looked at and refurbished however they've refused in case I put it back on the van without repairing it. I've now ended up with a coupling which i didn't ask for and don't want and having to pay out for a new alko (which they've offerred to fit without charging for the labour).

to say I'm peed off is an understatement

mh

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
If they have sold it "as seen", then there is no problem.

They should have left it on, so you could make the choice.

When you say worn do you just mean the pads, if so that's a quick and CHEAP job.

I'd be a bit miffed too !!!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
I totally agree with all the others - this is just poor and shoddy performance from the dealer.

If they've already tried to fob you off with the "it was worn" excuse, I'd follow Roger's advice and involve trading standards.

Robert

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin, sorry to be so late coming back on this.

If Ropers say the stabilisers were worn, why did they not either replace them (which they should have on safety grounds) or ask you if you wanted them to replace them?

I think this is disgusting behaviour from that dealer, and certainly time to demand your rights.

With any repair the damaged goods are supposed to be made available to the customer for inspection and independent testing if that is required..

If they are a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme, take the matter up with Jones Vening.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin,

Not sure whether the alko 1300 is man enough for you Senator,

As I have a alko 1300 which is only suitable for caravans weighing up to 1300 kg, normaly Senators exceed this weight and are fitted with a more heavier type of alko stabilizer

Royston

TRENDING THREADS