Mitsubishi Outlander New Model

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi
Just bought a 12 month old OUTLANDER GX4 Manual and struggling to get anything better than 43mpg when driving extremely carefully. When towing consumption drops to23mpg! Neither of these figures are quite what I expected when the combined consumption according to Gov't tests is 52mpg. Has anyone any tips for improving the consumption? Cheers Geoff

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Geof
Government figures for MPG are based on nothing like real world driving. The manufacturers have to follow the procedure to produce the CO2 figures used for assess VED. Manufacturers have got quite good at producing vehicles that will keep the CO2 low (MPG HIGH) assessment low, but sadly that rarely translates perfectly to real world. What Car magazine have been running a programme of assess 'True MPG's for cars they test, it might be worth comparing yours to theirs,

Ironically I composed a comprehensive answer for you, and then I remembered about the What Car programme. So I looked it up. It covered everything I had just written, but in a short video, rather than duplicate it all Ive scrubbed my answer and here is the link

http://www.whatcar.com/truempg/fuel-tips.

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi ProfJohn
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the link giving true mpg figures dos not
Include Mitsubishi - so I might get onto What Car to see if they have some more as yet unpublished data. The driving tips are common sense and I already practice these.
Thanks again, Geoff

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi,I have a 6 month old Outlander GSX 3 Auto.
Around local roads i get 36-38 mpg.
On a recent 540 mile round trip to Cornwall, all mostly dual carriageway and motorway i averaged 48.4 mpg @ 65-70 mph.
Towing on A-roads and motorways i average 26-28 mpg, towing in 4WD auto. My 2012 Swift Conqueror is 1600 kgs.MTPLM.
Having towed twin axles with Shoguns for many years ,i find the Outlander tows our single axle Swift as easily as the Shoguns towed twin axles. All my tow cars have been autos. The Outlander is a brilliant towcar.

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
HI Gamer. Sorry fort the delay in replying - been away. Since my first report I have checked my tyre pressures - first time since recently obtaining the car from a Mitsubishi dealer and found the pressures to be 10 psi low on all tyres. Readjusted and I think that the fuel economy has improved and now get 40-45mpg mostly rural driving and driving very economically in 2WD and Eco mode. Towing stability has improved dramatically. When I picked up the car did a trial on the motorway in 6th gear, 2WD, eco mode @ 60mph and got 38mpg. Increased the speed to 70mph and fuel consumption improved to 45mpg!!! Explain that. My theory is that the engine is at its most fuel-efficient when max torque is developed 1750rpm, which would explain why even with an auto, which achieves lower consumption than a manual, and why you achieved such good figures going to Cornwall.

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to mention that towing a Coachman Amara 450/2 (1200kg unladen) I get 25mpg. Still driving in 2WD and Eco mode. Given up using 6th gear as I am constantly changing down as soon as I hit a hill.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts