Mitsubishi Shogun 2.8

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi can anyone help. does anyone tow with a shogun 2.8 gls lwb?
We have a Elddis Odyssey 550 2008 model, i know weight wise it's ok but some one said no good pulling up hill or away at junctions!
So wondered if any one could give me some advice please. Has the Rexton 270 that we were thinking of buying as been sold.
Thanks Ann

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ann Keith,
I am on my third Shogun. My first was a 2.8 LWB and it was an excellent towcar. I towed a Bailey Senator twin axle weighing 1680 kgs. The outfit was steady at all speeds and in all weather conditions. Absolutely no problem towing up hills or pulling out from junctions. Both the manual or automatic are great towcars.When not towing in normal conditions you can just use 2 wheel drive(rear wheel drive). Even allowing for the fact it was a large 4x4,and very heavy.the performance both solo and towing was more than adequate.
The 20 gallon fuel tanks on the LWB Shoguns are excellent for long distance towing.
Hamer

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Ann who ever told you that talks drivel, l had the 2.8 GLX SWB it would pull tree trucks up, towed the horse box with the wife’s horse in which weighed near a ton, took it over Buxton to Bakewell past the cat and fiddle one of highest pubs in England, now that’s what l call a tow, Shogun flew up with loads of power to spare. When we had the Ace Firestar weight 15cwt towed it to Sandringham via the same route over the Pennines, stable has a rock. Like Hammer had three Shoguns the latest 3.2 DD, year 07 SWB towing Lunar Clubman SE with no problem at all. My mate a farmer won’t have anything else, o/k a bit thirsty but it does what it says on the tin.
NigelH

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for advice; i thought it was a little strange. Hopefully going to take a look at shogun in the morning so i'll let you know how i get on.
Thanks again Ann

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ann
If you are looking at a 2.8 lwb Shogun have a good look at the chassis for signs of rust.
British Shoguns that have been used on farms can suffer from rusted chassis members, also check underneath for signs of damage caused by offroading.
I concur with everyone else who posted about the excellent towing capabilities of the 2.8 Shogun, I own two Pajero's (imported Japanese original of the less well equipped Shogun) a 2.5 td auto swb and a 2.8 td auto lwb Fieldmaster, both tow my 1650kg Abbey 620 but the 2.8 pulls like a train.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Had the 2.8 Pajero before my 270 Rexton. Only got rid of the Pajero because the head gasket was on its way out. In many ways now I need a seven seater wish I'd had the pajero fixed!! Both tow fine.

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
collected my m reg 2.8 pajero this afternoon, very pleased with it. just need to work out how to use the bulit in sat nav & tv so anyone living in sheffield that knows how to get it working please feel free to give me a hand :)
i've taken the towball cover off and it's covered in grease how & what do i use to clean this off please?
thanks Ann

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Ann Keith said:
collected my m reg 2.8 pajero this afternoon, very pleased with it. just need to work out how to use the bulit in sat nav & tv so anyone living in sheffield that knows how to get it working please feel free to give me a hand :)
i've taken the towball cover off and it's covered in grease how & what do i use to clean this off please?
thanks Ann

Hi Anne,nice to hear you finally got your 4 x 4 . I had the same as you but without the built in sat nav etc very posh!!!!
Now about the towball I would assume you have an Alko hitch hence the reason to clean the existing one. Would imagine the one on the vehicle is not an Alko suitable towball, they are different with the Alko one having a longer neck, so would think you will have to change it, got a genuine one on ebay back in Feb for about £20.00.
Some one posted photo's of the two differant types not so long ago, but the search facility on here leaves a lot to be desired!!!!!!!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Well done, wipe as much off as you can with some kitchen roll. Then use brake cleaner for the rest. once all the grease off give a final go over with wet and dry using more brake cleaner and you'll be sorted!! Check you have the appropriate distance between the back of the car and the ball to allow for the alko hitch and if not you may just need to pop a spacer in.

I want mine back!!!! :-(((

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you have to replace your towball with an Alko tow ball with the longer shank a brand new one will be covered in a thin protective coating of black paint.
If you use the original towball after cleaning it up with brake cleaner don't forget that inside the cover will also be contaminated.
This coating will need to be removed before you hitch up otherwise your stabiliser friction pads will be contaminated. Use paint stripper to remove the coating and then wash off the residue, dry the towball and use aerosol brake cleaner to ensure that the towball remains clean and uncontaminated.
Enjoy your Shoggy, we have the 2.8 Pajero which would pull a house down.
If you have any questions regarding the Shogun the knowledgeable and friendly members of the Pajero Owners Club which is free to join are a great source of help.

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for advice regarding tow ball.
It might be posh having built in sat nav but all controls are Japaneses lol, also need to buy a disc for it.
I'll take a look owners club.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts