mobile phone tracking for caravan

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I have a couple of old phones & was wondering whether to use one in the van as a tracking device by registering with a mobile phone tracking website.

Is there anybody who has done this ? I would apreciate any advice or comments both on the fitting of the phone in the van & recommended tracking websites.

I realise that a proper tracker system would be better but until I can afford such,a mobile phone is better than nothing

Cheers Tony

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi Tony

I reckon your stumbling block will be battery life as these phones can only be tracked when they are switched on.

I think the most you will get out of a battery is 2 weeks.

Feb 13, 2002
Visit site
I did such a thing. You would have to leave the charger unit plugged into the mains. Ok if you are at home, but know good at storage. Also unless you use the phone occasionally it will be disconnected from the system. Also Also the tracking website sends a text every so often to ask the phone if it still want's to be tracked. No answer and you disappear off of that system. In theory it works ok, if you except the limitations of the Phone system, for example it is not overly accurate.

However for such a small cost and if you keep on top of it its ok.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
thank you all for your reply's,slowcoach & supermike I was thinking of connecting the car charger to the 12v system via a cigarlighter connector spured off the 12v tv plug & leaving the phone pluged in thereby using the van battery as the supply.,but thankyou for the useful bits of info re the tracking web site.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Remember the phone can only be located to a cell which could be 5,6 or 7 square miles.... a very big area to search for a caravan!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts