Mobile phones - advice please

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I need to get another mobile for house use and the car. I want a comparable one for my TTG so I can blue tooth across and use the sat nav as hands free. I have the list of compatible phones from the TTG website.

I have a Virgin sim card on contract.

Questions:

What are sim free phones and can I use one for the purposes above, although I have a sim card to put in the phone?

How easy is it to just buy a mobile without being tied to the the sellers contract etc (if that makes sense).

Can anyone recommend any good websites for the purchase of a phone? Or shops?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Liz

No, I don't mean PAYO. I have a contract with Virgin (sim card which I haven't used yet). I thought I'd buy a phone comparable with my TTG so I could use it hands free and through the sat nav when driving.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Throw the b****y thing away - didn't need them years ago and whilst driving are illegal and a pain in the butt. Stick to map reading and the good old GPO phone box although it would be hard to fit one of these in a caravan or car.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

Technically it's not illegal - I got this from the Road Safety website:

'A driver can also be prosecuted for using a hands-free device if you are not in proper control of your vehicle when using the device'.

I am confident that I would be in proper control of my vehicle. As I've still got most of my facalties at the time of writing.

I'd love to be able to map read but unfortunately, it's not a possibility for me. However, my daughter is an expert in map reading, top of her year in it. She definately does not get that from me. Unfortunately, when I am travelling, I am usually doing that alone so no chance of the daughter assisting.

Lisa

May 10, 2007
Visit site
Sim free means that you are buying a mobi that is not locked to any network provider. So any sim will work in it, if you have a 3G sim you need a compatible phone. If you know the phone you want type "best buy xxxxxx sim free" in any search engine and you will find who offers the best price !

TRENDING THREADS