Mobility scooters tyre pressure?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I recently purchased a pavement mobility scooter second hand. About two years old but at a fraction of the price it was purchased for mainly because the original owner paid way over the odds and bought ancillaries and insurance and service plans.

It is fully serviced and in top condition. but does not have suspension and the ride is harsh. I checked the handbook which says to check the tyre pressure, but does not say what the pressure should be!

I checked all wheels and the were around 30psi. I experimented and found that at about 12psi. the tyre was more compliant, very slightly bulged at the bottom like a car tyre. The ride is significantly better.

I then checked the internet. It would seem that for similar scooters 25 to 30psi is recommended. The say to ensure even tyre wear. Personally I would be happier with uneven wear and better comfort.

Any thoughts anyone.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I recently purchased a pavement mobility scooter second hand. About two years old but at a fraction of the price it was purchased for mainly because the original owner paid way over the odds and bought ancillaries and insurance and service plans.

It is fully serviced and in top condition. but does not have suspension and the ride is harsh. I checked the handbook which says to check the tyre pressure, but does not say what the pressure should be!

I checked all wheels and the were around 30psi. I experimented and found that at about 12psi. the tyre was more compliant, very slightly bulged at the bottom like a car tyre. The ride is significantly better.

I then checked the internet. It would seem that for similar scooters 25 to 30psi is recommended. The say to ensure even tyre wear. Personally I would be happier with uneven wear and better comfort.

Any thoughts anyone.

John
Take care that by running the tyre pressures so low that they don’t overheat 🤣🤣🤣.

My thoughts are aligned with yours and some extra tyre wear is probably worth.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Take care that by running the tyre pressures so low that they don’t overheat 🤣🤣🤣.

My thoughts are aligned with yours and some extra tyre wear is probably worth.

Understood. this goes 3.5 mph flat out! and I just crawl around very start stop. If I need to go to the shops I use the car. :ROFLMAO:

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Bought Mrs H a Pride Rapide, with the suspension units, no dampers though.
Semi solid tyres, but thinking about everything Maybe 20 to 30 psi for your wifes Chariot( which my SWMBO ) prefers to call it would be best. Flexi but not flat, and not too solid for mounting small kerbs.

Ah the days of talking about tyres on the cars and suspension units.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John your comfort Is all that matters. Not like you are burning rubber
My temporary chariot is solid tyres so no problem,
The problem I see for you is less mileage range due to more rolling resistance.
Subject to range just be comfortable,Buggy tyres will not over heat at the speeds involved😜

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ok going off thread slightly, the tyre pal on the caravan ( single Axle ) shows the caravan tyres going from 65 psi to 70 psi , and a rise of normally 10 c. above ambient.
My Motor cycle tyres show a rise from 30 psi to 33 psi but only 3c rise, on a casual ride.
If I ride hard, the temperatures and pressures increase by another 2 c and 2 psi.
So John, make sure how your wife rides home from the pub, as our dog at times really has to trot along side my wife, to keep up.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Ok going off thread slightly, the tyre pal on the caravan ( single Axle ) shows the caravan tyres going from 65 psi to 70 psi , and a rise of normally 10 c. above ambient.
My Motor cycle tyres show a rise from 30 psi to 33 psi but only 3c rise, on a casual ride.
If I ride hard, the temperatures and pressures increase by another 2 c and 2 psi.
So John, make sure how your wife rides home from the pub, as our dog at times really has to trot along side my wife, to keep up.

It’s for me, not my wife. :) But just in case I raise the temp too much I will keep the speed under control. I had to use a scooter a few years ago. Then I had an operation and could park it up. My wife then had a bad knee episode, I tried to get her to use it but she refused saying the controls were too difficult!,, So I sold that scooter and now find my trouble has returned.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Your comfort is what matters, i would try between 15 to 25psi i brought the Pride apex mobility scooter has solid tyres and it goes into the boot and i use it when i am at the shops /holidays

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Went yesterday to look for a light weight scooter. Prices are eye watering and still the same rubbish lithium batteries that you need to recharge every night to prevent them going flat. Also you cannot leave them charging up as that destroys the battery.

Lastly they wanted over £200 for the home charger if you wanted to remove the battery each night and charge it in the home. All the home charge is a piece of plastic moulding, a small transformer and probably a couple of diodes knocked together for under £10! TBH we do not want to remove the scooter from the vehicle every night as we do not have much room to store it in the home.

Have to have a serious rethink of a way forward as not prepared to spend +£2000 on a mobility scooter when you can get a decent second hand car for a lot less! Annoyingly after doing a lot of digging around, a Chinese company is selling a mobility scooter that looks almost identical for under US $200 if you buy 5 or more. Shipping to the UK is about $150 each. I don't think there is any customs levy etc. so wondering why they are selling for over £2000 each?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Keep searching - medium weight scooters like the Pride Colt Sport are only £1600 and include the charger!

Check out whether your wife's condition qualifies for a VAT-exempt purchase as that can make a big difference.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Went yesterday to look for a light weight scooter. Prices are eye watering and still the same rubbish lithium batteries that you need to recharge every night to prevent them going flat. Also you cannot leave them charging up as that destroys the battery.

Lastly they wanted over £200 for the home charger if you wanted to remove the battery each night and charge it in the home. All the home charge is a piece of plastic moulding, a small transformer and probably a couple of diodes knocked together for under £10! TBH we do not want to remove the scooter from the vehicle every night as we do not have much room to store it in the home.

Have to have a serious rethink of a way forward as not prepared to spend +£2000 on a mobility scooter when you can get a decent second hand car for a lot less! Annoyingly after doing a lot of digging around, a Chinese company is selling a mobility scooter that looks almost identical for under US $200 if you buy 5 or more. Shipping to the UK is about $150 each. I don't think there is any customs levy etc. so wondering why they are selling for over £2000 each?
Interested in you comment re lithium batteries. We may have to equip my BIL in Coventry with a scooter, so what are the best type of battery for one. He doesn’t drive, can get most things including GP very local IE 0.5 miles. But he has no drive so it would go through his front garden path into the hall fir safe keeping.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Keep searching - medium weight scooters like the Pride Colt Sport are only £1600 and include the charger!

Check out whether your wife's condition qualifies for a VAT-exempt purchase as that can make a big difference.
The VAT exemption is not a problem. The scooter needs to eb light weight enough for both of us to be able to pick it up as neither of us can manage on our own. Pride scooters are way too heavy.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Interested in you comment re lithium batteries. We may have to equip my BIL in Coventry with a scooter, so what are the best type of battery for one. He doesn’t drive, can get most things including GP very local IE 0.5 miles. But he has no drive so it would go through his front garden path into the hall fir safe keeping.
Previously I had a scooter with lithium battery so unfortunately talking from experience. Luckily I had paid using a credit card and at time of sale and also in literature there was no mention regarding upkeep of lithium battery in scooter. because they are cheap and nasty.
Once charged a lithium battery should stayed charged for months, charger should cut off once battery is charged and if battery goes faulty no need to fork out nearly £400 for a replacement!
In my case the first lithium battery from brand new was faulty. They came to replace the battery and the rep went through 3 brand new batteries before he found one that actually worked. It worked for 3 weeks and then went faulty and at that stage I had enough and had to use S75 to get a refund as dealer tried to avoid refunding.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Previously I had a scooter with lithium battery so unfortunately talking from experience. Luckily I had paid using a credit card and at time of sale and also in literature there was no mention regarding upkeep of lithium battery in scooter. because they are cheap and nasty.
Once charged a lithium battery should stayed charged for months, charger should cut off once battery is charged and if battery goes faulty no need to fork out nearly £400 for a replacement!
In my case the first lithium battery from brand new was faulty. They came to replace the battery and the rep went through 3 brand new batteries before he found one that actually worked. It worked for 3 weeks and then went faulty and at that stage I had enough and had to use S75 to get a refund as dealer tried to avoid refunding.
Thanks for the info. Difficult to tell the good from the bad unless one gets specific user feedback.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Where i got my big scooter from he selling a Pride Colt Sport £1600 and include charger plus three months insurance now £799

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

That Pride Colt Sport is almost identical to the second hand one I have just bought. 2 years old, hardly used and serviced. but I paid £350. If you look at various brochures it becomes clear that lots of them are the same with some cosmetic differences but large price differences.

Sadly owners get too ill then die and there are many good second hand ones around. But that has lead acid batteries and Buckman was looking at a lightweight with Lithium.

Getting VAT free is only a case. of making a declaration. Very few would be buying one if they didn't have the need.

I looked at those lightweight scooters as well and the £200 home charger!! Ridiculous. I think the scooter has a 9 amp battery, a spare one was £600 or so. To put that in perspective. I just bought a Stanley circular saw with two 4amp batteries for £159. ( That includes the saw and charger).

But perhaps this one is better value.

I do feel that SOME sellers are ripping off a clientele who are less able to shop around.

Good deals can be had from charities. Check out BHF on Ebay. But they are never local.

John

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That Pride Colt Sport is almost identical to the second hand one I have just bought. 2 years old, hardly used and serviced. but I paid £350. If you look at various brochures it becomes clear that lots of them are the same with some cosmetic differences but large price differences.

Sadly owners get too ill then die and there are many good second hand ones around. But that has lead acid batteries and Buckman was looking at a lightweight with Lithium.

Getting VAT free is only a case. of making a declaration. Very few would be buying one if they didn't have the need.

I looked at those lightweight scooters as well and the £200 home charger!! Ridiculous. I think the scooter has a 9 amp battery, a spare one was £600 or so. To put that in perspective. I just bought a Stanley circular saw with two 4amp batteries for £159. ( That includes the saw and charger).

I do feel that SOME sellers are ripping off a clientele who are less able to shop around.

Good deals can be had from charities. Check out BHF on Ebay. But they are never local.

John

Thank you that looks to be something like he would require if he has to have a scooter. Although in his garage he still has a half decent Honda Benly which I wonder if it could be electrified and outriggers fitted!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

John
We visited a branch of that shop yesterday and the very same scooter was nearly £2000! Also the seat was like a board and very uncomfortable.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I bought our Pride rapide for £380 from ebay, brand new AGM batterys. We charge it maybe twice a week probably 10 miles a week usage

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I brought my Pride Apex Rapide Mobility scooter of preloved for £250 it was only 12 month old his son was selling it his dad had passed away it been only use a couple of times the batteries are great so far charge it once a week .

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts