Moffat campsite

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, just wondering has anyone been to Moffet in dumfries and galloway? Thinking of going away in the end of feb to moffat!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
If you mean the Camping and Caravan Club site in Moffat then yes we were there two maybe three years ago.
Situated on the edge of the town, only a few minutes walking distance into town, also next to a garden centre with fishing facilities on the other side of the site with a shortcut to the centre through a gate. Garden centre has a restaurant, nothing fancy, but good quality basic meals at reasonable prices.
Moffat is quite a nice little town, don't remember many, if any, large shops but lots a smaller shops with a bit of character.
If my memory serves me right there is a co-op supermarket close to the site, only a couple of minute walk. Also a Mill shop with loads of touristy stuff, When we were there quite a lot of tourist buses full of Japanese seemed to stop on an almost daily basis.
The entry to the site can be a little tight for larger outfits, it's also hidden a little, you need to watch out for it. Only about 5 minutes drive from the M74, just in the town you take a right turn, almost a U turn heading back out of town, the road swings round to the left and you take a right turn then another couple of turns in quick succession before going over a hump back bridge into the site.
Quite a large open site, some hardstandings which are ( were) more compacted gravel, large toilet block which was clean but a little dated. Open to non members.
I would go back.

Robert

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We phoned them to book a night stop when we were journeying to the far north of the highlands, a few years back, but the warden told us they don't take 1 night bookings - sad, as this is ideally situated for a night stop, being so close to the M74.

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi

To get to the site in Moffat when coming into the town of the M74 all you do is take the Selkirk road, and about 200yrds you will see the caravan and tent sign turn right and follow the road for about 150yrds site on your left over bridge. Access road at the moment is a bit pot holy so care is needed. Nice flat site though but as Rob-T says washblock is a bit dated.There is no large shops as Moffat only a small town but can be a busy place with tourists during the summer months.

The garden centre and restaurant next to the site has now closed down, there was also a C.L site there not sure if it has closed though its a caravan club C.L

Dougie.......

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
hi everyone, thanks your comments, im going away monday to friday, i cant remeber going to moffat but my parents have said i have, is there anywhere not too far from Newcastle where we could go? i have found most of the campsites are closed for the time we are going which is last week feb.

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
This a stupid rule of the Camping and Caravanning Club based on purely financial logic.
The Caravan Club doesn't have this rule and will accept one night stays anytime.
I am a member of the C&CC and have argued with them to no avail that I joined the club to use their sites and any rule that prevents me using their sites is a stupid rule.
Because of this they have lost a lot of business from us as we now tend to use CC sites instead to the extent we hardly ever use C&CC sites now and will probably not renew our membership this year.

TRENDING THREADS