Mondeo 2.0 Petrol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are looking to change our current 2.0 Vectra for a newer family car but cannot afford to join the 4x4 club. We like the new Mondeo but alas the TDCI is too, out of the frame so its stick with petrol i think. We tow a 1250 kgs van.

I would welcome feedback on the 2.0 Zetec model say 2001.

Thanks in advance. Pip

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have previously towed a 1300KGS Abbey Vogue GTS and 2003 Bailey Ranger 500/5 (1272 kgs) with a 1997 Mondeo 2.0 Ghia, which has the same engine as the current shape. It towed like a dream, particularly after I fitted spring assissters. Fuel economy was around 35-40 solo and 20-25 mpg towing. Currently tow a Bailey Provence (1420kgs MPTLM) with a TDCI Mondeo, which is an awesome towcar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pip, I had a 2ltr V reg estate and towed a 1350kg van. It was a very good towcar and appeared to get the gearing just right. I put pump up balls in the rear springs and it towed rock solid.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HAD PETROL CARS MOST OF LIFE,LAST 3 BEEN DIESEL,WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO PETROL NOW,TDCI IS SUPPOSE TO BE VERY GOOD,BUT WOULD ALSO RECCOMEND VECTRA DTI SRI.YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE GO FOR IT

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Pip,

not sure why you say Mondeo TDCi is out of the frame but I have an '03 115bhp hatch that tows my van (up to 1300kgs) really very well. Max torgue is at 1900 rpm which also happens to be 60 mph in 5th gear. Economy is approx 35 mpg towing, average of 50 solo without trying too hard. Only complaint is slight over-firm front seats.#

Jonathan.

Apr 7, 2005
Visit site
I have previously towed a 1300KGS Abbey Vogue GTS and 2003 Bailey Ranger 500/5 (1272 kgs) with a 1997 Mondeo 2.0 Ghia, which has the same engine as the current shape. It towed like a dream, particularly after I fitted spring assissters. Fuel economy was around 35-40 solo and 20-25 mpg towing. Currently tow a Bailey Provence (1420kgs MPTLM) with a TDCI Mondeo, which is an awesome towcar.
Andrew,

Sorry to sound dull, but what are spring assissters?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew,

Sorry to sound dull, but what are spring assissters?
Robert, They are accessories that can aid or replace the rear srings or shock absorbers. Go to www.mad-suspension.co.uk to read all about it. rayc

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Robert, They are accessories that can aid or replace the rear srings or shock absorbers. Go to www.mad-suspension.co.uk to read all about it. rayc
Robert, apologies for spelling having trouble with the old tree pollen and watering eyes etc. I fitted MAD auxilary springs (fit inside the existing springs) to the Mondeo, firmed it up a little bit solo, but a huge difference when towing. I have also previously had auxilairy springs ona 1996 Accord and had self levelling suspension fitted to a 94' Rover 820SI, as the old dowager (police nickname for the old dame) rolled like anything going round corners. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sharon , we`ve had our vectra for a year having had a 1.8 before. much better car the 2.0 , sits at 60 in 5th on the flat on motorways etc but needs to be dropped down to 4th for inclines. Clutches good and engine willing , we get 25 mpg towing. Just one thing suggest you get yours weighed on a weighbridge as there are discrepencies from handbook / vauxhall litrature. ours is 1405kgs , CDX trim should be about the same , also watch max tow weight as it does vary from year to year. Generally I like ours (apart from fidily mirrors)Changing because new van is heavier so need better max tow weight.

Will have roof bars adaptors and bulldog stabiliser to sell now as will not fit /not needed etc , so if you know anybody who may be looking for said items wants them let me know.

any other queries this is the place to ask.

Happy Caravanning. Rgds Pip

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts