mondeo diesel/petrol

Sep 28, 2006
Visit site
hi can any one advise me im thinking of changing to a mondeo 2.0ltr and just wondered if having a petrol one is any worse than having a diesel one as petrol cars are cheaper to buy im thinking 06 plate i tow a eldiss typhoon weight 1400kgs but never put any thing in it

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
never had a mondeo but i think like most cars the diesel is by far the best choice for towing, lots more torque and far better economy than petrol, thats why petrol cars are cheaper these days, nobody wants them. with your eldiss at 1400 kgs you will need the power of the diesel to make good progress.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike , We tow with a(new shape ) 2001 Petrol 2.0 Mondeo Ghia KW 1420kgs pulling 1313 max Pageant. I get 36 solo and 22-25 towing dependant on road conditions. Have always found it good and can maintain 60 on mways, although you have to knock it down a cog on hills ,but still pulls well and stable and we have been down to southern Brittany last year with no trouble at all.

Will get a diesel mondeo next for both economy and torque ( when we can afford one ).

Rgds Pip

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The decision between petrol and diesel has always been dependent on annual mileage, and still is. Diesel fuel is cheaper, per mile, but purchase price, service cost and repair cost is higher.

At higher than average mileages diesel works out cheaper. At lower than average mileage petrol is cheaper.

Despite all the support from diesel owners, cheaper running costs at higher annual mileages is the ONLY real reason to buy a diesel.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Sorry Roger, can`t agree.

I chose a diesel car because not only is it more economical (but I don`t pay for the fuel anyway) but because the massively superior torque characteristics may it easier to drive and far more relaxing on long journeys.

Try climbing up a decent motorway hill (shap or junc 21 to 22 M62) at 60mph with a fully loaded van on the back and comimg out at the top at the same speed without coming out of 6th in a petrol car!

In real, everyday use a good diesel will be quicker point to point than a similar petrol and occasionally I have been known to press on a bit, but accept that eveyone has their own preferences, and diesel isn`t any longer an option purely because of M.P.G.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Why the obsession with staying in top gear?

I drive a petrol automatic. I too can tow up Shap (and Slochd) with the cruise set at 60. Unless I look at the rev counter I can't tell what gear it's in, but who cares.

Why do modern diesels have 6-speed gearboxes but owners who only want to use top?

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
They have 6 gears to try and keep in the extremely narrow power/torque range. I can't stand diesels. It's like driving powered by a rubber band. Put your foot down & most of the time there's nothing. Wait a second or 2 & wham, you get a massive shove in the back but all too quickly it runs out, so it's time to change gear & start the (irritating) process all over again.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Glenn

I don't know what diesel you have driven but it has to be a poor one.

Even Clarkson and co who are anti diesel rave about the power delivery of modern diesels.

The only reason I would go back to petrol would be if I wanted an out and out sports car like Lotus, Ferrari etc.

Our car (Seat Alhambra) pulls and holds well in any gear icluding 6th and mid range acceleration is excellent.

Over 2/3rds of the rev range is easily useable while towing and more solo.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Theres no particular obsession with staying in top gear other than I do because I can, which in a petrol you can`t.

Why six gears? Good question, which I can`t answer as the flexibility of a modern diesel (the ability for instance to do both 40 and 90 in third,fourth,fifth and sixth) and hugely better in-gear acceleration times than the equivalent petrol models render at least two of the gears redundant.

it`s like asking why have electric windows when a winder does the job. or do I REALLY need a ten speaker stereo, auto lights, auto wipers and all the other tinsel (electrically adjustable seats!) that you get whether you want it or not.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm with you 100%, RogerL. I'm always amazed at the number of people who boast about being able to leave the car in 5th (or 6th) gear as if it were absolutely desirable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Diesel models also have a greater kerbweight which can be as much as 100kg more than the petrol model. This obviously increases the number of caravans you can tow with the vehicle providing of course you stay within the safe guidelines for the vehicle.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Diesel models also have a greater kerbweight which can be as much as 100kg more than the petrol model. This obviously increases the number of caravans you can tow with the vehicle providing of course you stay within the safe guidelines for the vehicle.
hello,the difference with a diesel is the power is all at the bottom of the rev range,where you need it when towing .they have a flat torque curve,twice the torque of an equal petrol,wear out half as fast as a petrol because they dont rev as hard,better fuel economy.and until now had no electronics to make them run.the beauty of not changing gear up hill is your not straining the clutch or gearbox snatching the next lower gear half way up a hill.we,ve now got 150bhp diesels that will do twice the legal limit ,theres 6th gear for you and remember 4000rpm is flat out,not 7000rpm with a petrol.

TRENDING THREADS