Mondeo Hatch or Estate

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
We are about to purchase a new towcar to pull our Abbey 520 with a MTPLW of 1415kg. We have decided on a Mondeo mainly because of value for money although we realise it will depreciate faster than most especially with the new model about to be introduced. Our question is, should we get a hatchback or estate? My wife would prefer a hatch for everday driving but I suspect the estate would be better suited to caravanning. The weight ratio for the hatch is 93% and estate 90% so we know we are near the limit. Is this 3% worth considering especially as all the heavy stuff like gas bottles, spare wheel, awning, food etc will be stored in the car. Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Thanks Rich

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I must admit I would go for the estate but only you know how much you are going to use it for towing/solo and your own needs regarding space.

If you are a new caravanner I would try to get to as close to or even better under the 85% ratio.

If you bought a larger car secondhand you would save on the initial depreciation, achieve a better ratio and have enough internal space that you might not need an estate.

Mar 31, 2007
Visit site
i own a mondeo ghia x estate 2.2 tdci and tow a abbey freestyle 4 berth mondeo kerb weight1574kg abbey weighs mtplm1374 they tow fantastic no prob with either if you do a proper weight check at your public weigh bridge you can load them both correctly the mondeo has agood load capacity i hope this helps you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts