Mondeo + Pegasus Noseweight question

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Been looking and these forums and finding lost of useful information for people who are new to Caravanning so thanks for that.

I've been doing some calculations and as I understand it ideally the noseweight of the caravan should 7% of its weight. That would equate to in the Pegasus caravan I would be pulling around 88kgs assuming it wasn't loaded. So with the limit for my Mondeo being 75kg I'm guessing I'd have to go with 75. In that instance will I have problems towing?

I've not taken the caravan out yet and I'm just trying to understand what I should expect and whether towing under these circumstances would be safe?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Most modern outfits will tow well at the manufacturer's noseweight limit. The 7% formula is a bit anachronistic as it originated at a time when manufacturers' limits weren't specified and caravans were, on the whole, lighter than today.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
The reccomended nose weight for a caravan is 7% of the MTPLM,& is a recomendation,as is the 85% ratio between the kerbweight of a car & the MTPLM of the caravan.

the Legal requirment for the noseweight of the caravan is 4%of the MTPLM or (I think)25kg minimum.How ever the caravan noseweight must not exceed the recomended noseweight of the towcar.(usualy about 75kg unless you have a 4x4).OR exceed the max allowed hitch load of the caravan(ALKO 100kg)

hope this helps

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
only the latest mondaos have a limit of 90kg? earlier models were 75kg.

When i towed with normal hatchbacks, although the nose limit was 75kg i often found 65kg was better as the back of the car drpped less, also i always fitted doenuts to the rear springs.

However the caravans back then were probably lighter, say less than 1200kg, so i would go as close to your nose limit with out dropping the rear of the car too much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts