Mondeo ST

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi GuysI'll post this in towing as well not sure what percentage is greater. LOLMy son has a Mondeo ST he has been told he cannot have a tow bar ( because of the bumper) fitted to pull a van.Has anyone had one of these cars or know someone who has.... and did they manage to tow with it.Thanks

G

There are several models of the Mondeo as well as ST, as far as I know, only the ST220 is not allowed a towbar ,not sure if that's a mk3 or 4?) , I have the mk3 155hp ghiax which is a slightly up market ST155 and no problems with this model.
As a rule of thumb, if a bar is made for it then it's allowed, however towbar sellers 'towequip' on the net should give you accurate advice

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
we did have quite a long thread regarding this issue quite a while back and from memory i am pretty sure the conclusion was that ford did not have any towing data for this model as they deemed it unsuitable for towing, it is down to the bumper but i think ford decided that since the bumper did not allow a bar they didnt bother having the car tested for towing hence even if you tried to modify the bumper i dont think towing would be legal as no towing data is available for that particular model.
i may have got some of the info wrong but as far as i can remember this conclusion was reached at the time.

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
The diesel Mondeo st 2.2tdci is fine for towing and witter produce an appropriate towbar. Ive been towing with mine for the past 4 years and its pulls my 1440kg van great. Its the petrol st220 mondeo which is classed as not suitable and this is all down to the massive amount of torque produced by this particular model and the additional strains on the gearbox/dmf etc. If your son has the 2.2 diesel then he's ok. The st has sports suspension which is great when towing, very sure footed whereas the 2.2 ghiax models have the standard suspension and are not quite as well equiped.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
My son said it isn't a normal bumber. He has just had to replace it mega expensive and he says it goes right under the car.

Towing abiltity isn't an issue I think it is whether a tow can physically be fitted ?

Hense why I asked if anyone had actually towed with this model.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The definative answer will be provided by Ford.

If the car ( and it can be very specific to a particular model in a range) is not type approved for towing, it will be illegal to fit a towbar.

Sports versions of standard cars often have lowered or different suspension settings, and the will mean that the tow bar for the standard models will not provide the correct hitch height.

Do not be tempted to fit the standrad tow bar unless the car is approved for towing.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Will pass all this info on. I don't think he realised that he wouldn't be able to tow with it....

He was going to borrow our van, oooopsy...

thanks for all your help.

will let you know

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts