More sockets, external socket on a Bailey Ranger 550/6: wher...

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I have a 2006 Bailey Ranger 550/6 which has just 2 sockets. These are singles, POL brand, recessed. I have found P.L.S (Pennine Leisure Supplies) who make(?) POL. Does anyone know whether Bailey use beige or honey coloured sockets?

More important, as PLS are trade only, does anyone know any electrical distributors where I can buy these sockets and the recessed boxes. The PLS site only lists dealers in Yorkshire, and their prices are just silly even before p&p! I would like to put a pair in the front and another pair in the rear so if anyone has already done that suggestions on where best to site them would be appreciated. Do the beige sockets one sees on ebay match those on the Bailey?

I would also like to install an external socket. I see flush ones on ebay which would require cutting into the shell. If someone has done this where would be a good spot on the Ranger?

Finally, the Bailey distribution box does not have any spare fuses and only 2 mcbs so how do I do I wire these in? I am an experienced DIYer including electrical work but I am new to it on caravans!

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi SillyBilly,

As it's your 240v system you're talking about, what about B&Q?

The sockets and recessed boxes are the same as you would fit in your house and they do a wide selection of colours and styles.

If you are after sockets that exactly match those in your caravan then try the caravan accessory shops - if you are anywhere near Highbridge Caravans, they have quite a good selection of sockets.

As to where to site an external socket - our 2000 Elddis Cyclone GTX has a socket fitted inside the wet-locker, which is ideal. The locker has a nick in the corner (like the battery locker) for any cable to pass through, protecting the plug from the elements.

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sillybilly,

You have three sockets in the Bailey. The third one is under the consumer unit bunk and is for the fridge. I use an adapter plug so it works the fridge and also an extension cable with a 4-socket end on. I can dangle it out of the window if i want power in the awning, or lay it along the floor edge to go forward or to the rear of the van. As a plug-in it doesn't break any rules or guarantees. You could if you wanted to, fit 2 extensions to the adaptor plug and run one out of sight along and behind the lockers to a permanent place at the rear of the van.

Aug 22, 2006
Visit site
I had the same problem, as Tram suggests i fitted a socket to the side of the front unit and spurred into the socket under the seating area. Previous owner had a external socket fitted to supply the awning side, which i use to power awning lighting, heater etc

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the comments so far. I wondered about using a three-way plug adapter in the fridge socket, Tram, because its fuse would stop any overloading of the system. Not quite, because the cable to it is labelled 10A! Wouldn't there be a risk of the trip going and cutting off the supply to the fridge?

I emailed Bailey and they have supplied 4 single 13A sockets with flush pattresses that match the originals.

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hello Saltire,

There isn't an obvious place to mount an external box on the Bailey. I could just about put one below the mains input which is in the battery compartment, but there is only one cable groove in the flap. It too would have to be on a spur from the fridge socket. With luck there is a Bailey Ranger owner out there who has had an external supply professionally fitted and can advise how this installed as I don't want to invalidate the warranty... Looking ahead my next problem will to install a S/H Rhyno mover - I have already got a 50/60A Maxifuse to hand but haven't seen the instructions yet! I am counting on my leisure battery (110AH) having posts I can join to!

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the comments so far. I wondered about using a three-way plug adapter in the fridge socket, Tram, because its fuse would stop any overloading of the system. Not quite, because the cable to it is labelled 10A! Wouldn't there be a risk of the trip going and cutting off the supply to the fridge?

I emailed Bailey and they have supplied 4 single 13A sockets with flush pattresses that match the originals.
I have since checked the system. There are 2 mcbs, one feeding the fire, fridge and sockets is a DZ47-63 C16 and the other feeds the charger/mains lights and water heater is a DZ47-63 C6. The master switch is rated at 25A. The C16 would trip if the current load on that circuit exceeded 16A. I don't expect the sockets to draw much current. Anyway the manual says you may not be able to run all devices without the trips or switch operating! I will have to leave the mig welder at home:)

I have checked the distribution box and see there is room to install another mcb for the extra sockets, but I will give that a by partly because noone but Bailey seem to stock them but also because of warranty issues!

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi sillybilly

I fitted two extra plugs in my bailey ranger.

I used flush fit cream ones from B&Q there not a perfect match but near enough and only cost a tenner I wired them into the circuit from the back of the fridge plug on a spur both plugs are on a mini ring main and fitted below the front bunks and are about 4in up from the floor it meant cutting 2 square holes for the flush boxes but they look original now fitted and although I now have 6 sockets rarely use more than 4 they are also ideal for all the low wattage stuff like chargers and the laptop.

I also have a outside double socket for use in the awning but it is not fitted to the van.

how??. well I made up a power lead from the end of a old hookup cable it is about 2ft long and has a blue socket at one end and a blue plug on the other (a bit like a small extention cable so it goes in between the hook up lead and the van socket)at the plug end (cable side )it has 2 wires going into the plug one has a domestic waterproof socket attached for use in the awning and draws its power direct from the hook up before it goes into the van so does not reduce the wattage of the inside ones.

the good thing about it is it's removable no awning, no power, and it saves making holes in the side of the van.

colin

ps I wish I knew how to post diagrams on here one picture is worth a hundred words.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi sillybilly

I used flush fit cream ones from B&Q there not a perfect match but near enough and only cost a tenner I wired them into the circuit from the back of the fridge plug on a spur both plugs are on a mini ring main and fitted below the front bunks and are about 4in up from the floor it meant cutting 2 square holes for the flush boxes but they look original now fitted and although I now have 6 sockets rarely use more than 4 they are also ideal for all the low wattage stuff like chargers and the laptop.

I also have a outside double socket for use in the awning but it is not fitted to the van.

how??. well I made up a power lead from the end of a old hookup cable it is about 2ft long and has a blue socket at one end and a blue plug on the other (a bit like a small extention cable so it goes in between the hook up lead and the van socket)at the plug end (cable side )it has 2 wires going into the plug one has a domestic waterproof socket attached for use in the awning and draws its power direct from the hook up before it goes into the van so does not reduce the wattage of the inside ones.

the good thing about it is it's removable no awning, no power, and it saves making holes in the side of the van.

colin

ps I wish I knew how to post diagrams on here one picture is worth a hundred words.
Hello Colin,

If I understand you correctly, your arrangement means that the power for your sockets in the awning do not pass through the caravans consumer unit. There should not be a problem but it does mean that you are relying on the sites RCD and MCB in the distribution system to protect you.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi sillybilly

colin

yes that is right john but I forgot to mention I do have a plug in c/b that is allways in the van.

colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I shared JohnL's concern at the set up not going through the van trips but on the other hand its possible in Europe to buy and not unusual to see a hook up plug that has a socket built in to the van end so that such an arrangement is possible and without trips in the line

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Colin

I had thought of making up that sort of lead but because it would be against the regns decided not to. Instead I bought a waterproof external socket today to fit below the mains inlet only to find that it won't quite fit - you couldn't get a plug in it when the mains lead is fitted! Have decided instead to cut a hole below the mains input to take a plastic dry-lining box which I will solvent weld in place to give a sealed box. I should then be able to fit a standard 13amp socket.

As you did your cable in a Bailey Ranger like mine how did you make a groove in the plastic lid big enough for two cables. My thought was to heat up a piece of 15mm copper tube in my blow torch and use it as a former beside or instead of the existing one, but you only get one try!

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi sillybilly

I have not modified the battery flap at all as the waterproof socket(square pin) comes out of the cable end and not from the battery box end. this patch lead is only about 2ft long, the socket end (the blue one) just fits into the box as normal it is the other end that has the socket(square pin) attached that goes into the hook up cable socket in this way it can either be used or not as required. "if you see what I mean".

I dont really understand the concern about using such a attachment to the hook up cable the draw wattage is only very small for such as a flourescent light 12w or computer power pack.

should the need arise I do have a 12amp plug in type circuit breaker that is allways in the van.

also I could not put a socket in the place you describe because that is where my mover isolater switch is, something you might have to consider at a later date.

colin

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hi sillybilly

I have not modified the battery flap at all as the waterproof socket(square pin) comes out of the cable end and not from the battery box end. this patch lead is only about 2ft long, the socket end (the blue one) just fits into the box as normal it is the other end that has the socket(square pin) attached that goes into the hook up cable socket in this way it can either be used or not as required. "if you see what I mean".

I dont really understand the concern about using such a attachment to the hook up cable the draw wattage is only very small for such as a flourescent light 12w or computer power pack.

should the need arise I do have a 12amp plug in type circuit breaker that is allways in the van.

also I could not put a socket in the place you describe because that is where my mover isolater switch is, something you might have to consider at a later date.

colin
Hi SillyBilly

I am afraid I took the easy option and had the dealer fit two extra sockets in my 550/6. One at the rear of the dide dinette and another higher up near to the sink (but the other side of the trim so it cant be splashed)

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
hi sillybilly

colin
Hi Colin

I think the concern is that your 12Watt flourescent or whatever may develop a fault/ fall in a bucket of water / filament bulb might break and short to the awning frame and nothing trips or fuses!

I see what you mean about a 2 ft piece and waterproof 13A socket on the other end not needing to change the flap. I have now cut my hole and the dry-lining box fitted perfectly and is glued in place and sealed off.(There was JUST enough room for it!). I haven't yet made up my mind as to whether to fit a fused and switched spur unit with fixed short cable to a 2plug 'extension lead' which would drop below the flap, or a 13Amp switched socket with a standard plugged extension lead. In either case I will have to modify the box.

I hadn't thought of having an isolation switch on the mover - I thought I could just pull out the maxi fuse! You shouldn't really have the isolation switch where I have placed my socket because the 12V and 240V are meant to be kept separate. So if I should have one it will have to go on the battery side of the box

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
We haven't had our first trip yet hence all the mods being made now. This may be a silly question but those with a Bailey Ranger 550/6 will know that the bunks are short and narrow. I hope to place a socket by each bunk so the kids can listen to their music, hopefully with headphones on! I would find the bunks a bit claustrophobic with my head in the space behind the toilet but that is the end the have placed the individual lights! Which way round have you or yours slept in the bunks?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi sillybilly

I dont know if all bailey battery boxes are the same I assume that they are, but with a 110amp battery in place there is no room to fit the isolater switch anywhere near the battery as it fills the box.

my choice of fitting it below the hook up point was deliberate as in this way the isolater key (the removable red type)has to be removed before the hook up plug will go in. this keeps the 2 systems completely separate (only one can be used at a time) and as the wiring for the 240v hook up is in a sealed unit (just the cable visible) it is comletely safe.

the only other thing I could add regarding site hook up boxes is that on arrival at a site in devon last year the owner used a electric strimmer and mower to tidy up the pitch for us pluged striaght into the hook up box using a similar sort of lead.

colin

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Colin

Thanks for the comments as it clarified it all well. As you say there isn't room on the battery side with a 110V leisure battery filling it well. I have now bought an isolation switch which is probably the same as yours, having a red removable knob. It wasn't as I had expecteds a one-side of bulkhead fitment so my comment about keeping the 240V and 12V separate probably doesn't apply though the box used on the Bailey does keep them apart and air-tight probably to avoid igniting the gases given off by the battery! I have managed to fit it on the bottom surface of the mains input part of the box as there is about 50mm space below. The terminals are on the other side of the bulkhead inside the caravan. So I now have the mains input, 13A spur with short cable and a double socket, and the isolation switch all in the mains input space. Now to work out where to put the 50amp Maxi fuse!!

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ewen

You had your dealer put in a socket in the didi diner. You said behind. Did you mean in the double-skin rear surface of the diner on the way in by the door (where you would trip over the cable lol, or in the single ply panels under the seats area? If the latter whereabouts was it put, in the aisle side, , front or rear of the 'U'? I ask because it would be useful to have access to it when the bunks are made up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its usual to fit the isolating switch in the battery box below the mains inlet not in the same section as the battery

The handle only protrudes into the outside area and the wiring and switch is inside the van locker away from any possible battery gassing

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Sillybilly

The socket is on the panel at the side of the rearmost seat, at floor level, almost opposite the toilet door. Easy access for using in the rear bunks at night once we are allin for the night, and for the ladies to use their various hair dryers etc (I also fitted a full length mirror on the outside of the toilet door)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Silly Billy,

PoL sockets are fitted as standard to most Bailey vans and are also labelled under the Power Parts name on the shelves of the caravan dealers. I needed one for a socket below the fixed bed for hers low wattage hair dryer. Found them via the above named company.

Rob

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Silly Billy,

PoL sockets are fitted as standard to most Bailey vans and are also labelled under the Power Parts name on the shelves of the caravan dealers. I needed one for a socket below the fixed bed for hers low wattage hair dryer. Found them via the above named company.

Rob
Thanks Rob

I did manage to get them from Bailey direct, but might get a single from a dealer with your lead.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts