MOT concern

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Buckman, save your money and but a Hundai or a Kia, 7 year warranty. And you don't have the tyre problem with the 4X4 wind up.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Buckman, save your money and but a Hundai or a Kia, 7 year warranty. And you don't have the tyre problem with the 4X4 wind up.

I don't have a tyre issue or 4x4 windup whatever that is and never had anything like that on my previous Jeep.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The modern 4x4 don’t have this problem( not sure about LR)
Kia etc used Torque on Demand. Thus there was never a rigid drive between the two axles. The old Fiat Panda 4x4 was all connected and did suffer from wind up between the axles.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The modern 4x4 don’t have this problem( not sure about LR)
Kia etc used Torque on Demand. Thus there was never a rigid drive between the two axles. The old Fiat Panda 4x4 was all connected and did suffer from wind up between the axles.
The Kia and my Pajero both allowed 2WD operation. 4 WD high on tarmac but in low ratio the box could be 4wd locked. You had to only use this setting in low friction settings such as mud, snow, wet CLs etc. No wind up nor on my Subaru which is permanent 4wd.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Kia and my Pajero both allowed 2WD operation. 4 WD high on tarmac but in low ratio the box could be 4wd locked. You had to only use this setting in low friction settings such as mud, snow, wet CLs etc. No wind up nor on my Subaru which is permanent 4wd.
Isn’t Hutch’s point that permanent fixed 4x4 can lead to wind up?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes but you are advised against permanent 4WD in locked modes as that will damage the transmission if used on high friction surfaces like tarmac. My Disco 2 had permanent 4WD as did Defenders but they had Center differential so on tarmac not a problem. But if the Center duff put into lock it was for low friction surfaces.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ah So? The Subaru isn’t all locked up Clive?? Just curious😜
Dusty that’s correct. it has a centre differential but it’s not a locking one for normal purposes. In its X mode it will transfer power between the front and back and if required transiently lock the Center diff if it senses sufficient wheel spin at a corner(s) but that’s okay as if wheels are spinning it’s indicative of a low friction surface. It will also lock corner wheels if required via its TCS. But X mode cuts out at 25 mph as its not an Impreza WRC.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Our Skoda passed the MOT couple of weeks without any advisory. Last week car went in for full service and on picking it up they commented its in perfect condition. Yesterday got email that an amber came up on the servicing that there were a crack in one of the tyres. Was surprised at that as we always get quality tyres when they are needed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our Skoda passed the MOT couple of weeks without any advisory. Last week car went in for full service and on picking it up they commented its in perfect condition. Yesterday got email that an amber came up on the servicing that there were a crack in one of the tyres. Was surprised at that as we always get quality tyres when they are needed.
Last week I bought our daughter two new Avon tyres as her rear Dunlop’s at three years old we’re showing cracks all around the outer periphery. The car is used daily and she is good on checking tyre pressures too. Where was the crack in your tyre and what size ?I guess it could have been road debris/surface damage between the MOT and service, or possibly the mot tester didn’t pick it up.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Most, maybe all, modern permanent 4x4s have a centre differential which avoids wind-up but the urban myth prevails - obviously wind-up can occur if a diff-lock is used by they should only be used in loose conditions.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes but you are advised against permanent 4WD in locked modes as that will damage the transmission if used on high friction surfaces like tarmac. My Disco 2 had permanent 4WD as did Defenders but they had Center differential so on tarmac not a problem. But if the Center duff put into lock it was for low friction surfaces.
The Jeep has permanent AWD and the advice is to only use low ratio off road. On my previous Toyota Hilux Surf the advice was never to exceed a certain speed if on tarmac. Cannot recall the speed but it was low. 20mph?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts