MOT Inconsistencies

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BB.
Does it ever leave home🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
DD when my wife was working for the community (Nurse) for 6 years from 2011 - 17 the car was use everyday but now it lucky if it does 500 miles each year. . the car has never let her down in all weathers start up first go ;).

May 7, 2012
Visit site
MOT's are carried out by thousands of different testers who will all have their own level of competence and interpretation of the rules so you will not get a consistent approach. This is particularly the case with advisory items where one persons judgement at what point to flag this up may be different to the next ones. You also have to look at the garages them selves, some always find something whereas others find far less. This may be down to judgement or the desire for more work.
The profit on MOT's is not great, but the work it generates is the real draw.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
MOT's are carried out by thousands of different testers who will all have their own level of competence and interpretation of the rules so you will not get a consistent approach. This is particularly the case with advisory items where one persons judgement at what point to flag this up may be different to the next ones. You also have to look at the garages them selves, some always find something whereas others find far less. This may be down to judgement or the desire for more work.
The profit on MOT's is not great, but the work it generates is the real draw.

That may be true but it makes me wonder why if using the same MOT tester, one year they add advisories and the next year different advisories however you have not had any of the previous advisories repaired!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
That may be true but it makes me wonder why if using the same MOT tester, one year they add advisories and the next year different advisories however you have not had any of the previous advisories repaired!
I go to the same garage each year but most likely it's a different technician.

Some of the tests though are a little subjective. For instance one of my advisories was to do with the suspension arm dust cover. The MOT manual states to check this and if there is severe deterioration then this is a minor defect. What constitutes severe?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts