Moter mover

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
I am getting a new van in may, and I am having a moter mover fitted as due to age I cannot man handle a van now, I am having a power torch one fitted and just wondering the preferences manual or automatic one, thank you

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve got a Powertouch manual and use a telescopic wheel wrench to put it onto the wheel and off again. It can take quite an effort which is okay for me, but could be a struggle for some. I had the Evolution on my last caravan and it was convenient and has a mechanical winder in case the electrics fail. My overall preference I guess is one where you wind the rollers using a geared winder like winding leg steadies. I had a Reich one which worked faultlessly for eight years until I sold the van.

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I have the fully automatic evolution and wouldn’t go back to not having one!
Best bit of kit ever in my opinion, makes hitching up a doddle and is a must for dealing with the deep gravel of my drive at home.

Kev

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
theroadtoad said:
Can someone please correct the spelling in the header on this thread!

Hello "theroadtoad"and welcome to the forum,

The forum is about caravanning matters. It's open to all, and any personal difficulties with spelling or grammar must not restrict access to the forum and any advice, nor should it incur any personal abuse from other forum users.

There can sometimes be a problem when a misspelling or ambiguous grammar can confuse an issue in which case some of us may ask for clarification.

So please be tolerant in such matters.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Re spelling and grammar, etc, I'm with the Prof.

Re Motor mover - I have a Powertouch Evolution with auto engage and, so far, have had no problems during the five years I've had it and on two vans. Previously I had a mover with manual engagement which was manageable with a long-arm wrench. Not sure whether I could have done it had the mover had a cross-bar where both sides were engaged together.
The auto engage Evolution does come with a manual override tool which, so far, has stayed in by toolbox.

Mike

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have the manual version and it is an effort to engage. If you have trouble handling the caravan then you need the auto version.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
We have the manual version and it is an effort to engage. If you have trouble handling the caravan then you need the auto version.

If you have the cross actuator bar fitted then a manual engage is hard to use, but remove the bar and it becomes half as hard !!!

The easies way of using the manual actuator is to ensure the operating wrench is such that all you have to do is, with a straight arm, lean you body weight on the lever.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I have a Rhyno manual engagement Motor Mover.
As Damian says, take up the slack in the actuator arm so that the roller is just touching the wheel and then re-position the wrench so that you can lean in to the rotation required.
Regards,

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Slight thread hijack but we are considering a van upgrade sometime this year which may involve a twin axle model.
Are the motor movers just as efficient with twin axles as they are with my single axle? (especially on gravel)

Regrads
Kev

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Kev, have a twin axle with the rollers on two of the wheels. It is not as manoeuvrable as a single axle as it takes a wider arc but I have found this no problem.
I understand that if you have the rollers on all four wheels the turning circle is less than having the rollers on two wheels only.

I have the bar connecting both rollers so only have to connect one side and so far have found this no problem using an extended wrench

Mike

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Cheers Mike.
Ide be looking at having the twin axle Evolution fitted.
does the jockey wheel still need to be down during motor mover movements? my drive, being deep gravel, causes the jockey wheel to become a plough so if the twin axles dont need the jockey wheel I may be onto a better set up.
apologies for the thread Hijack

Kevin

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Kevin2306 said:
Cheers Mike.
Ide be looking at having the twin axle Evolution fitted.
does the jockey wheel still need to be down during motor mover movements? my drive, being deep gravel, causes the jockey wheel to become a plough so if the twin axles dont need the jockey wheel I may be onto a better set up.
apologies for the thread Hijack

Kevin

I always lower the jockey when using the mover as it is less stress particularly as you say on gravel, or soft pitches. Also when using the mover to go up a levelling ramp I lock the jockey wheel into its slot which prevents the caravan yawing as you go up the ramp. Have to do that on the drive too due to its sideways slope so one wheel is moved up onto a two inch deep wooden block.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
I too I have a Powertouch Evolution and on a different note, you would not believe how powerful it is. My van scrams easily up a very steep driveway without as much as a hesitation. Brilliant!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Nimrod.
For you , go for the automatic Powrtouch Evolution. The Guarantee is bullet proof . I can still manage the manual engagement but it does require careful positioning of both the wrench and how I stand or kneel. I still use the cross actuator. Damian makes a good point that without the actuator only half the effort is required but twice of course.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just to agree with most posts: If you are going for powertouch, go with the automatic roller engagement. Our first van had the manual engagement and it was very difficult. We actually got the motor engagement retrofitted, because it was so difficult! However to echo someone else's post, our current van has a Reich manual engagement mover and you engage that by using a steady winder type arrangement and it is as easy as you like.
Let us know what you decide.
mel

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I find the mover is also fantastic for hitching up the van, no faffing about reversing, Just put the car somewhere near and move the van to the car, millimeter perfect with no huffing and puffing or back strain.
I even leave it engaged for when im aligning the wheel to fit the alko wheel lock :)

Kev

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Kev, jockey wheel down but I discovered that a pneumatic wheel often comes off the rim on a twin axle when using the mover. I soon found I was not alone with this problem and was advised to change to a solid wheel. I changed to a "soft" solid and have had no trouble since.
Alko did at one time produce a jockey wheel for use on twin axles with a mover as they acknowledged that there was a problem with pneumatic tyres,but I have not seen it advertised for years

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We found the mover invaluable on some continental sites as the access to pitch’s can be quite tight. The alternative being to offer six Dutchmen a few beers!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Blimey
I find emptying the the dust bag on the Junior model hard enough but using a twinaxle hooovaar i'm sue will be more difficult not to mention pushing it under the table to get the crumbs up. :lol:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts