Motor Homes banned overnight Royal Albert Drive in Scarborough

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dozens of motor homers and a few caravanners have been using Royal Albert Drive for a free overnight stay , some staying quite a few days. Now banned by the Local Authority.
So what’s wrong with using proper sites like the rest of us?
The NC500 similarly suffers from “wild” motor homers allegedly leaving waste and rubbish behind.
Will the decent caravanners get tarred with the free loaders brush? I hope not!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dozens of motor homers and a few caravanners have been using Royal Albert Drive for a free overnight stay , some staying quite a few days. Now banned by the Local Authority.
So what’s wrong with using proper sites like the rest of us?
The NC500 similarly suffers from “wild” motor homers allegedly leaving waste and rubbish behind.
Will the decent caravanners get tarred with the free loaders brush? I hope not!
The number of caravanners wild camping is very low, mainly "travellers" - but the number of motorhomes and campervans doing it seems to be increasing exponentially - and the majority of these produce little or no income for local businesses as they stock up before their trip into the "wilds".

Under the Road Traffic Act, it's an offence to take any motor vehicle more than 15 yards from a public highway without consent of the landowner - but we never hear of any prosecutions.

Reactions: Challenger

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I chuckle at the phrase “wild camping”, when many of the motor homes are parked up along a public road. 😀
Romantic notions of the outback or rolling prairie perhaps?
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They can always try the roads around the Downs in Bristol which has a thriving community. Mind you the Council are taking steps to move them on. But Scarborough doesn’t look too promising though. 😂

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I can see why they like stopping there because there a lovely sea view and with it free they should have to pay to have that .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Call me cynical but it makes me laugh when people pay upwards of 60K so they can stay somewhere for free.

We were at Sandsend earlier this year, in the car, on a day away from home & couldn’t get parked for motorhomes & campervans.
Seems like a good move for them to be banned.
It's not clear whether the free-loaders are privately owned, rented or a mixture.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Call me cynical but it makes me laugh when people pay upwards of 60K so they can stay somewhere for free.

We were at Sandsend earlier this year, in the car, on a day away from home & couldn’t get parked for motorhomes & campervans.
Seems like a good move for them to be banned.
Parking per se isn’t an issue, they have as much right to park as you do if parking is allowed. Overnight parking isn’t illegal but I can understand councils concerns wrt the consequences.

Reactions: Buckman and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's not clear whether the free-loaders are privately owned, rented or a mixture.
It’s not free loading to park your vehicle where parking is allowed. Just because the car parking area is full and someone else can’t find a spot is not a reason for banning them. Overnight parking and it’s possible consequences can be an issue.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It’s not free loading to park your vehicle where parking is allowed. Just because the car parking area is full and someone else can’t find a spot is not a reason for banning them. Overnight parking and it’s possible consequences can be an issue.
Of course they can park in the day, just as cars do - but overnight and days on end is a different issue - they should be on a licenced site contributing £30 (ish) every night to the local economy.

Reactions: Challenger
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Of course they can park in the day, just as cars do - but overnight and days on end is a different issue - they should be on a licenced site contributing £30 (ish) every night to the local economy.
That is exactly what I said in my two posts above

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But, most take up more than one space.
Overnight parking is now illegal hence the OP🤪
Then the car parks should segregate bays. It’s common in Norfolk dedicated MH bats and parking areas. Not difficult if there’s a problem. Is overnight parking illegal. Truck drivers do it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Then the car parks should segregate bays. It’s common in Norfolk dedicated MH bats and parking areas. Not difficult if there’s a problem. Is overnight parking illegal. Truck drivers do it.
Clive .
This is about Scarborough Royal Albert Drive, no where else I’m aware of. See some of the press pics and you will see what the problem is

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site

Clive .
This is about Scarborough Royal Albert Drive, no where else I’m aware of. See some of the press pics and you will see what the problem is
Ban coming into force from Sandsend to Raithwaite, Royal Albert Drive, Osgodby Hill & Filey Road in Clayton Bay . Between 23.00 & 07.00 hrs apparently. According to GB news.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's no requirement for local authorities to provide any spaces for motorhomes - to some extent it depends what type of visitor they want to attract.

I don't know about Scarborough, but many seafronts are technically private property, eg Brighton's Marine Drive, so they can set what rules they like.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive .
But post #6 took a very different slant that is unwarranted.

Parking in the highway isn’t illegal providing the highway code or local council restrictions are adhered to.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
But post #6 took a very different slant that is unwarranted.

Parking in the highway isn’t illegal providing the highway code or local council restrictions are adhered to.

Yes . And now the LA have changed the Law. #6 was a sideline to my OP and I don’t know the detail. I suspect this change may well be copied by other LAs . If you read some of the associated articles criticism is levied at the waste stuff left behind costing the Scarborough Rate Payers to clear it up🙉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes . And now the LA have changed the Law. #6 was a sideline to my OP and I don’t know the detail. I suspect this change may well be copied by other LAs . If you read some of the associated articles criticism is levied at the waste stuff left behind costing the Scarborough Rate Payers to clear it up🙉
Some Siuth Wales authorities took a similar Decision some while back. Porthcawl has a lovely long promenade and restrictions were brought in. But in summer it’s still very difficult to find a spot given its attraction to cars and MHs.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I was talking to someone yesterday he got a motorhome he often stopped overnight just for the weekend he like sea fishing , but there were hardly anyone there, but now you are looking at over 250 . but he said a lot of them are miss using it having open fires and bbqs they have spoil it by leaving rubbish .

Reactions: jimmyg352 and Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I was talking to someone yesterday he got a motorhome he often stopped overnight just for the weekend he like sea fishing , but there were hardly anyone there, but now you are looking at over 250 . but he said a lot of them are miss using it having open fires and bbqs they have spoil it by leaving rubbish .
As so many other things in life, it's minorities that spoil things for the rest.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Going to Scarborough this weekend and I for one welcome the ban! I have to pay site fees so why shouldn't they? You see them parked up on levelling ramps and then abandoned for the day.
Blackpool banned them on the prom a few years ago and rightly so.

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
We get them parking up on Dartmoor which has a very well publicised and signed no overnight parking in lay-bys and car parks etc bylaw.

I really don’t see how this is not easily enforceable, just slap a ticket on the windscreen at 3 in the morning with a £250 fine! 🤷

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We get them parking up on Dartmoor which has a very well publicised and signed no overnight parking in lay-bys and car parks etc bylaw.

I really don’t see how this is not easily enforceable, just slap a ticket on the windscreen at 3 in the morning with a £250 fine! 🤷
Signs stating "No Overnight Parking" in laybys can't be legally enforced because the layby is part of the public highway - to create a ban, a Traffic Order with yellow lines, no loading restriction and a timing plate would be needed - this would then adversely affect HGV drivers who have to rest up when they get to the end of their permitted driving hours.

Off-road car parks are different and could be restricted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts