Motor Homes banned overnight Royal Albert Drive in Scarborough

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Signs stating "No Overnight Parking" in laybys can't be legally enforced because the layby is part of the public highway - to create a ban, a Traffic Order with yellow lines, no loading restriction and a timing plate would be needed - this would then adversely affect HGV drivers who have to rest up when they get to the end of their permitted driving hours.

Off-road car parks are different and could be restricted.
However nothing to stop anyone banging on the door every hour or so telling them to move on. LOL! :D

• Love
Reactions: Devonisheaven
Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Signs stating "No Overnight Parking" in laybys can't be legally enforced because the layby is part of the public highway - to create a ban, a Traffic Order with yellow lines, no loading restriction and a timing plate would be needed - this would then adversely affect HGV drivers who have to rest up when they get to the end of their permitted driving hours.

Off-road car parks are different and could be restricted.
You won’t see yellow lines plastered around the Dartmoor lanes……It is a National Park. The lay-bys are a little different to the ones you are referring to. You are not permitted to park up and sleep in your CV or MH anywhere apart from a designated camp site, which, in my opinion, should be strictly enforced, with decent sanction. The likes of Dartmoor, Exmoor or the New Forest etc, are National Parks……..Not theme parks.

Reactions: Challenger
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You won’t see yellow lines plastered around the Dartmoor lanes……It is a National Park. The lay-bys are a little different to the ones you are referring to. You are not permitted to park up and sleep in your CV or MH anywhere apart from a designated camp site, which, in my opinion, should be strictly enforced, with decent sanction. The likes of Dartmoor, Exmoor or the New Forest etc, are National Parks……..Not theme parks.
I suspect the problem is that National Park by-laws can't be applied to public highways - but off the highway they should be enforced.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Going to Scarborough this weekend and I for one welcome the ban! I have to pay site fees so why shouldn't they? You see them parked up on levelling ramps and then abandoned for the day.
Blackpool banned them on the prom a few years ago and rightly so.
Scarborough council approved of a trail ban and will be in force between 11pm - 7am for the next 18 months and set to start in September after an initial six-month period the plans could be tweaked could be permanent or even scrapped . But there is a petition some local businesses do not want the ban they want there trade, they bring .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Scarborough council approved of a trail ban and will be in force between 11pm - 7am for the next 18 months and set to start in September after an initial six-month period the plans could be tweaked could be permanent or even scrapped . But there is a petition some local businesses do not want the ban they want there trade, they bring .
I wonder how much extra business they actually bring - certainly not in the pubs as the drink-drive laws would still apply to motorhome drivers parked overnight on public highway.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how much extra business they actually bring - certainly not in the pubs as the drink-drive laws would still apply to motorhome drivers parked overnight on public highway.
Well so far looking at the petition signatures 1,390 are against the ban on overnight stopovers .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Petition is run by a Mike Hallett.
There is no evidence the name is real nor the name a Scarborough resident. I suspect as his petition is a Nationwide one it is directed at motor homers and campervanners . The reference to “ locals” is probably a distraction.

All the published comments appear to be from those who like using the free overnights. The signatories are anonymous on the basis of data protection. What happened to putting your money where you mouth is?

I am sure somewhere a local may have commented. Perhaps Beachball can help?

Reactions: Challenger
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Restrictions were introduced to stop motorcaravans and caravans parking overnight on Portcawl promenade road. It is enforced too.

Cars can still park do the local lads and lasses can enjoy a romantic interlude. 😂

IMG_1281.jpeg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Restrictions were introduced to stop motorcaravans and caravans parking overnight on Portcawl promenade road. It is enforced too.

Cars can still park do the local lads and lasses can enjoy a romantic interlude. 😂

View attachment 7492
We all know what a caravan is - but it doesn't have any legal definition, it's just a trailer - so can that ban actually be enforced?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We all know what a caravan is - but it doesn't have any legal definition, it's just a trailer - so can that ban actually be enforced?
I don’t know, your an expert on most things, but I’ve never seen many horse boxes down there, or people sleeping in their boats whilst on a trailer. My son says it’s been effective and the police have helped with enforcement. So whatever the legality or not it’s had the desired effect.

Caravan Sites Act

1.1 Section 29(1) of The Act, states a;
“caravan” means any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so designed or adapted, but does not include—
  • any railway rolling stock which is for the time being on rails forming part of a railway system, or
  • any tent

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The Petition is run by a Mike Hallett.
There is no evidence the name is real nor the name a Scarborough resident. I suspect as his petition is a Nationwide one it is directed at motor homers and campervanners . The reference to “ locals” is probably a distraction.

All the published comments appear to be from those who like using the free overnights. The signatories are anonymous on the basis of data protection. What happened to putting your money where you mouth is?

I am sure somewhere a local may have commented. Perhaps Beachball can help?
You are right it is run by Mike Hallett but the signatures are still going up and it could be anyone .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your point is as far as I am aware correct but only in relation to the road traffic act and definitions of road vehicles, but there are plenty of other areas of law and local regulations that can identify a caravan as a entity. For example planning regulations as used for caravan sites, but also parking spaces under the control of local authority may well have local by laws that can specifically directed at a trailer or motorised van with certain specific characteristics that will identify it as caravan or motorhome.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Defining a caravan for other purposes is irrelevant if it can't be defined for the Road Traffic Act(s) as a no parking order on public highway comes under the Road Traffic Act.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Your point is as far as I am aware correct but only in relation to the road traffic act and definitions of road vehicles, but there are plenty of other areas of law and local regulations that can identify a caravan as a entity. For example planning regulations as used for caravan sites, but also parking spaces under the control of local authority may well have local by laws that can specifically directed at a trailer or motorised van with certain specific characteristics that will identify it as caravan or motorhome.
I think the characteristics described in the Caravan Sites Act if 1968 Chapter 58 in post # 37 above are a good starting point. But I suspect this thread is going to run further, despite the fact that some local authorities have successfully banned caravans and motor caravans overnighting from sections of the public highway. Presumably no motorhome owner has had the gojons, or money, to challenge it. But nevertheless the restrictions seem to work.

Traffic Regukation Orders allow the local authorities to introduce temporary, experimental or permanent restrictions to meet local needs. Torbay fir one have done so. It’s quite clear that restrictions on overnight habitation on motor caravans or even caravans ican be imposed and there’s precedent. Scarborough have bought this on themselves by failure to act in a timely manner.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Defining a caravan for other purposes is irrelevant if it can't be defined for the Road Traffic Act(s) as a no parking order on public highway comes under the Road Traffic Act.
Traffic Regulation Orders are legal entities and sit within the framework of the Road Traffic Acts.

Reactions: RogerL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Responsibilty for the management of parking on any road in England and Wales lies with the traffic authority for that road.Major trunk roads are the responsibility of Central Government .. Local roads like Royal Albert Drive, the highway authority is defined as the appropriate Local Authority. In this case it’s North Yorkshire Council.

I suggest they can name any kind of “vehicle” they like to be banned irrespective of what definitions may be contained in the RTA. Just my take😎

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Responsibilty for the management of parking on any road in England and Wales lies with the traffic authority for that road.Major trunk roads are the responsibility of Central Government .. Local roads like Royal Albert Drive, the highway authority is defined as the appropriate Local Authority. In this case it’s North Yorkshire Council.

I suggest they can name any kind of “vehicle” they like to be banned irrespective of what definitions may be contained in the RTA. Just my take😎
Taking that to a ridiculous extreme they could ban ugly cars despite the fact that there's no definition of ugly in the legislation they use.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Oh my Hobby Horse has arrived!

Seems the people moaning are the ones quite happy to spend many thousands of pounds to buy a motorised caravan to be able to shout "Look what I've got!"but are then to tight to pay for an authorised pitch.

(No doubt this will get deleted by mods)

Mods note. Almost. I have edited the name calling.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts