Motor mover recommendations

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you want automated, wind on, lever on, do you park it next to a wall and need it to come on from one side? What’s your budget. Fit yourself or have it fitted?

There are quite a number of makes to choose from it might be better to read some of the websites from mover makers.

Your caravan being single axle and not large will be suitable for most makes. I have had Reich and Powertouch. The Reich was totally trouble free. The Powertouch had water ingress problems into the motor connections but was not difficult to sort out.

Jan 20, 2022
Visit site
Clive,
I don’t no is the answer to all of your questions, apart from budget is not an issue and I’d want it fitted for me. What is a manual v auto etc?
Sincere thanks for replying.
Mark

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some work automatically from a hand hed remote that brings them into the wheel. Other are brought into contact with the tyres using a winder or lever. Most manual ones give the option of bringing the rollers into the tyres from one side convenient if you have to park it next to a wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark1962
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the automated Powertouch motor mover and all I do is press an button for it to auto engage. The motor mover also comes with a 5 year warranty and their after sales support is brilliant. We had ours fitted by Powertouch so no middle man if things go wrong.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
On our caravan we had a Leisurewize Emove EM203 motor mover featuring the easy -wind system with no need to get down on your hands and knees to engage the rollers .
When ours was fitted to our caravan it cost £595

Reactions: GaryB and Mark1962
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If budget is not limited, then go for a fully automatic engagement one.

As for which model, they are all much of a muchness, but the brand that receives lots of praise for their customer support for when things go wrong, might be worth considering.

Most mover manufactures will produce a model suited to your caravan, why not look on their websites, I'm pretty certain they will have some sort of compatability checker.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I fitted a Powrtoch manually engaged unit many years ago. Not hard to do provided you don't mind crawling under the van and are competent at wiring in the electrics.

This time around we had it installed at the time of purchasing our caravan.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have three different makes and the performance of each was the same and we have had no problems. The difference in them tends to be the actuation, although makers can offer different types.
The lever ones can be quite an effort so if you are at all unfit might be best avoided, when ours got very stiff it was a quick job to adjust them a bit though.
Purple Line do a wind on one which is easier and if the budget runs to it you can splash out on an automatic one.

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
We have the automated Powertouch motor mover and all I do is press an button for it to auto engage. The motor mover also comes with a 5 year warranty and their after sales support is brilliant. We had ours fitted by Powertouch so no middle man if things go wrong.
When you say "direct", was it truly so, or via their dealership?

Thanks

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
We bought it direct from the Powrtouch stand at the NEC and they arranged for one of their fitters to fit it. We were invoiced by Powrtouch and our contract was with Powrtouch.
Okay, Thanks for that. Their website does not offer fitting, merely an introduction to their approved installers. The exhibition route never occurred to me. Shame I cannot really wait until mid February. Are you aware f the price you paid was better (or worse) than normal channels?

As a slight aside, and this may be of interest to potential purchasers, I need a unit as my existing one was damaged in a "lost wheel incident". The repairers have quoted for new, but I have to buy the unit and pass it to them to fit. Seems slightly odd, but I assumed that it is to avoid liability on the product.

I have just spoken to "Mark" at Caravan Movers Online, who explained that the 5 year warranty only covers Labour and call out if the product is installed by a registered Powrtouch installer. As the install service costs effectively only £81, why would one bother to fit it oneself? To supply and fit an Evolution Auto is £1200, off the website - does that seem about right to everyone?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Okay, Thanks for that. Their website does not offer fitting, merely an introduction to their approved installers. The exhibition route never occurred to me. Shame I cannot really wait until mid February. Are you aware f the price you paid was better (or worse) than normal channels?

As a slight aside, and this may be of interest to potential purchasers, I need a unit as my existing one was damaged in a "lost wheel incident". The repairers have quoted for new, but I have to buy the unit and pass it to them to fit. Seems slightly odd, but I assumed that it is to avoid liability on the product.

I have just spoken to "Mark" at Caravan Movers Online, who explained that the 5 year warranty only covers Labour and call out if the product is installed by a registered Powrtouch installer. As the install service costs effectively only £81, why would one bother to fit it oneself? To supply and fit an Evolution Auto is £1200, off the website - does that seem about right to everyone?
Ours is AWD self engage which cost us the same as any retail outlet. If the motor mover was damaged due to an accident you could claim off the caravan insurance?

Our 5 year warranty included parts, labour and any call out fee. We did need to call them out in yr 2.

Reactions: Caravanrevisited
Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Ours is AWD self engage which cost us the same as any retail outlet. If the motor mover was damaged due to an accident you could claim off the caravan insurance?

Our 5 year warranty included parts, labour and any call out fee. We did need to call them out in yr 2.
Are you asking whether we claimed on the insurance?

if so, then Yes. The insurance company were okay, actually, although a few irritations. The repairers vsted our home, prepared an estimate which we forwarded to the insurers. They actually settled the claim and paid out straight away. I had assumed that they would pay on production of n invoice after the work was completed. I was concerned that the "quote" was actually an estimate, and that they may find something else wrong. I phoned the Ins Co, who said they would pay any extra charges

I am now in possession of the funds, but the repairer want me to buy the mover and they will fit it. I thought that was a bit odd, and assumed that they wanted to avoid liability on a product that may go wrong hundreds of miles away. If the warranty rules on self fitting or fitting by non registered installers are standard in the industry, that may explain the stance of my repairers. The benefit is that it is no problem for me to upgrade from the quoted for manual version to auto, having the entire market available. I will definitely get the van repaired by the firm, but have the MM fitted by , probably, the online company.

Thanks for the note on the relative cost of buying from the Exhibition, I thought that maybe they did a special deal.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why not contact Powrtouch and ask them if they can fit a mover bought direct from them. On the one or two occasions we have contacted them they have been very helpful. It is better to phone than email and play ping pong.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Had a Reich for 7 years, I fitted it myself; in its later life I replaced the bearing shells in each roller, an easy cheap task.
Following that I have now had a Powrtouch for 15 years, a dealer promotion offer with the new van, otherwise I would have selected Reich based on the experience.
Both manually applied but using differing methods.
The Powrtouch's handset failed out of warranty, requiring purchase of a new one as I had not time to go a refurbish route.
Last year the control unit failed, I changed for a refurbished different model, as the vender/repairer suggested they were better, more reliable and more modern, plus going that route was a third of the cost of a direct Powrtouch replacement, they only selling "new" units, of that obsolete control system. Adding to that I received a 48 hour turnround, instead of Powrtouche's quoted month or more.[I had "glazed over" at the price so did not really listening to the delivery offered]
The period of my experience with the Powrtouch was twice as long with the Reich, and of course the vintage of their builds were 7 years apart, so making constructive comparisons is difficult. I chose the Reich because I preferred their mechanical design, that view has not changed, however both brands have moved on adding differing designs.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had a Reich for 7 years, I fitted it myself; in its later life I replaced the bearing shells in each roller, an easy cheap task.
Following that I have now had a Powrtouch for 15 years, a dealer promotion offer with the new van, otherwise I would have selected Reich based on the experience.
Both manually applied but using differing methods.
The Powrtouch's handset failed out of warranty, requiring purchase of a new one as I had not time to go a refurbish route.
Last year the control unit failed, I changed for a refurbished different model, as the vender/repairer suggested they were better, more reliable and more modern, plus going that route was a third of the cost of a direct Powrtouch replacement, they only selling "new" units, of that obsolete control system. Adding to that I received a 48 hour turnround, instead of Powrtouche's quoted month or more.[I had "glazed over" at the price so did not really listening to the delivery offered]
The period of my experience with the Powrtouch was twice as long with the Reich, and of course the vintage of their builds were 7 years apart, so making constructive comparisons is difficult. I chose the Reich because I preferred their mechanical design, that view has not changed, however both brands have moved on adding differing designs.
I’ve had a Reich Move Control wind on, plus Powrtouch Manual and Powertouch auto. Of the three if opt for a Reich wind on as it’s easy to engage and simple mechanics. I even hit a French large kerbstone with my nearside Reich and the kerbstone was lifted yet the Reich undamaged and no change in clearance

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Why not contact Powrtouch and ask them if they can fit a mover bought direct from them. On the one or two occasions we have contacted them they have been very helpful. It is better to phone than email and play ping pong.
Of course they can and will,do. My old Powrtouch , 15 years old needed a warranty repair some years ago. Powrtouch sent their approved AWS engineer. All fixed with no quibble. Three years ago a main bearing failed. A quick phone call they put me onto one of their approved guys. I paid the bill, not expensive. IMO the Powrtouch boys service during and beyond the warranty period is second to none. Not the cheapest but I say the best👏👏👏

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Of course they can and will,do. My old Powrtouch , 15 years old needed a warranty repair some years ago. Powrtouch sent their approved AWS engineer. All fixed with no quibble. Three years ago a main bearing failed. A quick phone call they put me onto one of their approved guys. I paid the bill, not expensive. IMO the Powrtouch boys service during and beyond the warranty period is second to none. Not the cheapest but I say the best👏👏👏
I second that, Power touch for me. After sales service great, on the two occasions I have needed it in 15 years on two MM

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Because of forum rules, I will not name my last mover. Originally purchased at 1 year old and still under guarantee. The control unit packed up and it took much argument by myself and my dealer but their attitude was our products don’t fail. Eventually, they replaced it. This was an expensive so called, high-end product. In 2014, after my wheel detachment, a new mover was supplied. Insurance paid, £1200. This was fitted to a new van. It failed within months. At first, they insisted that the warranty was out of date as it would start from the original purchase date. More arguments. Next, my dealer refused to do the job as they would not deal with the company, so, I had to take it to the factory, at my expence. Two new actuators were needed.

Later the control unit failed again. A known fault which I had fixed on-line.

I wish I could warn people, but I understand the readons for the rules.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Because of forum rules, I will not name my last mover. Originally purchased at 1 year old and still under guarantee. The control unit packed up and it took much argument by myself and my dealer but their attitude was our products don’t fail. Eventually, they replaced it. This was an expensive so called, high-end product. In 2014, after my wheel detachment, a new mover was supplied. Insurance paid, £1200. This was fitted to a new van. It failed within months. At first, they insisted that the warranty was out of date as it would start from the original purchase date. More arguments. Next, my dealer refused to do the job as they would not deal with the company, so, I had to take it to the factory, at my expence. Two new actuators were needed.

Later the control unit failed again. A known fault which I had fixed on-line.

I wish I could warn people, but I understand the readons for the rules.

John
You can name say two it wasn’t 😎

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts