Motor Mover

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Our caravan was bought from new 10 years ago and we recently considered changing it for a newer model.
The trouble is that we've become used to loads of space in our twin axle Abbey 620, we love the caravan, everything works on it and there are no damp issues, so changing the caravan for the sake of it didn't really make much sense.
As an ex- HGV class 1 driver I've never had too many problems with reversing the caravan, except for one memorable occasion at Wheathill during the Woosiefest, but I'll draw a veil over that particular episode.
The barn where I store the caravan is dark toward the back, there are old telephone poles on either side as roof support which are hard to see through my Milencos, plus some farm equipment toward the back, so a slow cautious reversing manoeuvre with Herself gesticulating vaguely in the semi-darkness whilst trying not to be run over is our usual storage routine. Even towing the caravan out can be tricky, I have to set the car at the correct angle between the gates and I have to take care not to catch the roof supports on the way out with the rear end swing.
This situation is about to change!
You remember that we were looking at replacement caravans but decided against?
Do you ever get that feeling where you were going to spend some money, didn't spend it but the money is burning holes in your plastic card thingy?
We decided to splash a fraction of the cash on a new Powrtouch Evolution twin axle motor mover, I was surprised that Herself agreed so readily so maybe she's a bit tired of furtling about in the gloom at the back of the storage barn.
I'm too old and decrepit to be rolling about on the floor these days so the guy is coming just after the Easter holiday to do the fitting for us.
We could have had it this week but the fitter is busy, we won't be going away this side of Easter so after the holidays will be fine.
I'm not seeking any advice or anything, I'm just pleased that I'm getting the mover without too much of a fight from Herself so I thought I might share my good news. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well done Parksy, It's just every now and again when I can't reverse into a spot , really spot on, It's when somebody is watching , and especially at a Woosie fest. I didn't have one on my first van, but have had a power touch on the last two. Carol obviously loves your van so has given in so easily to your demands, and to the motor mover, lets see it in action at the Woosie fest, in September or if you can make the spring mid meet up. Even better. Would not be with out ours, needed every now and again.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Hutch, the trick with the lovely Carole is never to demand anything, just let her think that it was her idea :lol:
The mover will make storing the caravan so much easier and quicker.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
There was no Persuasion decision when we tried to push our then new major 6 onto the driveway , my wife put her back out and she could not reach the other side compared to the orion we had so was a case of got van in may then mover on 4 weeks later ! Lifes little less stressful luxuries :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Parksy said:
Thanks Hutch, the trick with the lovely Carole is never to demand anything, just let her think that it was her idea :lol:
The mover will make storing the caravan so much easier and quicker.

Elaine, bought me a rear view camera for the caravan, so that when I take it back to storage in the dark barn she does'nt come with me as she is doing the washing of the clothes, and getting me a wine or beer ready for when I get home. , oh the G, (Girls)WMBO. know how to work the system. Don't we just love them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A good decision it will make the task of storing and de-storing so much less stressful.
I had the reverse yesterday. I collected the van after its service and took it to the new storage site as we are shortly moving home and decided to store the van until we get sorted. Well after entering the site I went down the wrong road which led into a dead end. There was only one berth empty so I decided to use the mover to back the van in rather than to try reversing. No such luck the mover just clicked but wouldn’t turn the wheels. The battery had been dropped tested the day before at the service and it was at 11.7 volts. The drop test had shown it to be okay and the EC400 charger was putting out 14.7 v, so they had charged it overnight. We hadn’t needed to use it when collecting the van. After travelling 40 odd miles I had assumed the battery would have topped up a bit.

So after much pushing and shoving we turned the van around and subsequently found our correct storage berth. So even though I don’t normally use the car to manoeuvre the van (DSG clutches etc) this time I had to. With Mrs OC sprinting around the extremities I even amazed myself by getting it in in one. Mrs OC reckons it was because the van only had 3 ft either side and I had something to aim for and no “voyeurs”. But getting the Alko wheel lock lined up was something else as DSGs aren’t as smooth as torque converter boxes or manual clutch. So we ended up having to use some muscle power. The battery is now back home. But the charger is in a box marked “garage” siting amongst thirty or so other boxes in the lounge :whistle:

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Good for you Parksy, had a Truma for years, - need it at home for in and out, (used to man handle it in my younger days, but don't think I could or want to do it now!) Sometimes it's used on sites for 'detailed' positioning, or aligning wheel lock. + have been on sites where there is not enough 'lock' room to manoeuvre with truck, + the dreaded 'keep off the grass' signs. Had one on at least last 4 vans ( 16+ years?). Priority to us. Even used it once to get off a rally field when cars/trucks movements were banned, because of mud,( pre 4X4) --- a good/wise investment Parksy.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
A sensible choice to have a motor mover for your caravan, why change the van if you are happy with it and it is problem free.

I am glad to hear that Carole's great idea has been realised.

Well done Carole. :)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Well done. As well as overcoming the storage stress, you also have a giant remote control toy. Win Win.
Mel

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Steve.....similar story here :)

My current Swift came with a mover.....storing at home just got a whole lot easier.
The way I store it is a self inflicted nightmare.....next to our drive.....down a slope....nose first into a U shaped cul de sac.
Done for anti theft reasons and as a deterrent...
....had a hand winch to abstract the older lighter Swift (1150kgs)
New Swift (1600kgs)........definitely needed a mover!
Not particularly happy with extra weight of mover but now towing heavier caravan anyway :cheer:

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
I absolutely love this, start talking about a big spend on a new van infront of Mrs, when she accepts the thing you really wanted, (which is 10 time cheaper)......victory. Brill!!! Your a Foxy fox Parksy!

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Until last weekend the last time I towed was 20 years ago, and that was a horsebox trailer... I was like a dog with two doodahs, when I reversed into the pitch second time... I'd not allowed enough distance to allow me to get the caravan around first time - horse trailer was much shorter!
Reversing into the storage spot was bang on first time :cheer:

Have to admit though i do love the motor mover...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It just goes to show you don't need to be a muscle bound fitness maniac to caravan. Caravanning doesn't have to be a hardship. ;)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Ironduke2018 said:
I absolutely love this, start talking about a big spend on a new van infront of Mrs, when she accepts the thing you really wanted, (which is 10 time cheaper)......victory. Brill!!! Your a Foxy fox Parksy!

Shhhh!!!!
If she sees this I'm dead :evil:

Thanks for the supportive replies. I'm still feeling quite pleased with myself to be honest, and all I have to do now is to buy a spare leisure battery so that one is on charge in my shed at home and the other one will be on the caravan ready to operate the mover after it's fitted.
I've got that covered though, I don't have to involve Herself in that decision. :lol:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Our drive at home has a fair slope on it and the road is too narrow and obstructed by lamp standards to tow the caravan out.
Our first caravan had no motor mover and my method back then was to wrap a ratchet strap around the jockey wheel column, loop it over my shoulder and walk backwards uphill towing the caravan.
Thank god for motor movers. If i tried that nowadays i would come apart at the seams.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Long overdue Steve.

You know I have the old Powrtouch , manually engaged , high power unit. Only two motors mounted on the front axle.
It is slow, very powerful but do not expect turning on a sixpence .
Neither I nor SWMBO could ever move the Wyoming ,hence the mover purchase 10 years ago. You have beaten the rest of us but believe me you will never look back. So easy.
Some will tell you to go for a pneumatic jockey wheel. Don’t. They’re rubbish. I use a solid wide JW which has lasted well. No punctures.
Time for Carole to have a rest and stop being blamed for the dings :whistle: :whistle: :p :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts