Motor Mover

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
There are often questions about which motor mover to purchase, it may help you to make your decision if you read about our experience. We purchased our motor mover in April 2004 and it was fitted by the manufacturers agent, a company from Yorkshire, in front of the wheels. All was fine until we were in Spain this year when we caught the edge of the unit, but not the tyre, on a kerb, this bent the unit so much that it pushed the mover onto the wheel, so we could not continue. We were on a busy road in Cordoba, so you can imagine the chaos this caused. Fortunately we had the tools with us to be able to move the unit off the wheel and so were able to reach our campsite. When we inspected the mover later and compared our unit (undamaged side) to other similar ones on site, we realised that the units were fitted so that the bolts, which apply the mechanism to tyre, stick out not only well beyond the tyres but also almost beyond the sides of the caravan,, which makes them very prone to this sort of accident. On our return from Spain we contacted the company which fitted it, who were unhelpful and were not interested in our damaged unit and were adamant that the unit had been correctly fitted. We obtained the spares from our local dealer (£150) and refitted it ourselves, this time making sure that the unit protruded as little as possible. We then wrote, in August, to the company which manufactured the motor mover complaining of the poor service from their agent and commenting on the poor design of the mover applicator. This week (November 14) after several e-mails, phone-messages and a further letter to the German headquarters of the company, they finally replied stating that the whole problem was, effectively, down to driver error! When I wrote to them I stated that I had damaged the unit by catching it on the kerb; what I wanted to receive was an acknowledgement that poor design and fitting were contributory factors, but of course they would not say that as it would have suggested some responsibility on their part. I have no doubt that many of you with this type of mover have also suffered kerb damage and would be interested to hear how you fared. Meanwhile, whilst the unit works well I regret to say that I could not currently recommend a motor mover of this type to anyone until the design is improved, along with their customer care!!! I posted this earlier this week but the Moderator removed it because I had made specific references to the company involved, I have removed these references, but I would imagine most people would be aware of which company I am talking about. If anyone would like more information please contact me through this forum.

G

Understand why you don't state the name of the unit fitted to your caravan, however at least 2 of the major Companies that fit these units use similar mechanisms to apply the rollers to the wheels.

One point I am curious about is you state 'the units almost protrude beyond the side of the caravan'.I assume from this they don't actually protrude outside the caravan edge. In which case I am not sure of what exactly you are complaining about. If you cut a corner then anything in front of the wheel line is likely to be caught by a kerb. I have looked at my own unit and yes the hexagonal rod is in front of the wheel, but inside (just) the outside edge of the caravan. Surely, it needs to be at this point for access?

Not criticizing, just curious.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry but I dont understand why you blame the company. Regardless of the design you know the mover is there and if you hit a kerb then there's a fair chance that you will damamge it.

Whilst I understand how annoying it must be I think you should just put it down to experience.

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
I think I made it clear that it was my own fault, but felt that after comparing our unit with some of the others we saw it was clear that the design of this motor mover makes it more prone to this sort of incident. Obviously if you hit the kerb hard with any mover it will cause damage, in this case the bolt which protrudes beyond the caravan wheel scraped along the kerb and pushed the mover on to the tyre. If people are trying to decide which motor mover to buy it may help them in their decision making to hear of this experience and also of the subsequent lack of customer care.

G

One point that I raised with the fitter of my unit was why he did not attach it behind the wheels of the caravan. I had a specific reason for asking because I had to get the waste water lines moved. Anyway, the reply was that the units, although sealed could be more prone to getting muck and water into them if they were directly behind the wheels so the front attachment was preferred. However, if I really wished to have them fitted at the rear then this could easily be done. Also although I purchased my unit in 2004 as well, there were 2 models available to me with different locations of the motors. I took the more advanced (expensive) model and note it has now become the standard layout. I know that many wheel type motor movers have been fitted to many caravans and although some have no doubt been problematic I do think you are being a bit unfair to classify them all as bad. They are still better than pushing or pulling a heavy van.

Although you don't mention the Comapny by name, you have kinda given the game away by mentioning the Company headquarters. Mine is from another lot.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There was a posting on a motor mover of German origin in which the mover was named.

I replied to the posting but I can't find it on this site or a n other.

Are we being brought to heel ??

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Yes I originally posted this topic naming names but received an email from the Moderator which said-

"Sorry, but our forum rules do not allow the publication of individual complaints against companies, so I had to remove the above.

It is best to approach the company direct.

Such allegations could lead to defamation suits against you and Haymarket publishing.

Hope you get satisfaction from the company."

So I re-submitted it removing that content, however as David has correctly pointed out the Company headquarters are named which should help to identify it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Jane I was beginning to think that I was having a senior moment.

Our friends have the mover in question and it would not move his caravan up a levelling ramp until he mentioned it at the first service.

He was informed that the agent(of the unmentioned co) had fitted it wrong in the first place and he can now amuse himself by driving his van up and down wedges to his hearts content.

I have a foolish story against myself where I was standing with both feet on the front seats ,head out of the roof shouting "Out of the way Englander" while operating my motor mover.

The only thing wrong about the mover was that it was a Carver and should of course have been the Reich (3rd Reich)

Sorry !!!

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Took my tape measure out to the caravan at the weekend to measure the motor mover. The end of the applying bolt protrudes some 3 to 4 inches beyond the tyre side wall (depending on just how it is fitted) and is at the same height off the ground as the cross bar which fastens it below the chassis, hence it is extremely vulnerable to kerb damage. This is not the case with the other manufacturers where nothing protrudes beyond the sides of the tyre.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jane,

seeing that you have measured certain dimensions on your motormover, thought I would check mine, I have a power-----

had it for 4 years never had the slightest problems with speed bumps curbs etc, checking my dimensions against yours, the

extension rod to which i operate the mover is positioned the same height as the caravan chassis. The end of the rod is 4"inside the caravan outer wall, I have to fit a extension onto

my operating handle to clear the caravan when I position the motor mover onto the tyres.

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes I have had serious reservations about some movers and as two of my friends have ones that stick out in a similar way I await with bated breath reports of theit latest outings !!

Nov 23, 2005
Visit site
Should have got a "touch" of "power" from you know who -- we have three in our family and found them first class with excellent back up service when a problem happens -- they do not protrude outside the wheel / tyre --

You must remember that you have a mover fitted when towing --

Sorry it all sounds like your mistake in the first place

Good luck in future -- Ian

TRENDING THREADS