Motor mover

May 7, 2021
Visit site
I need a motor mover for my van. I see that some don’t need any drilling or welding to fit.
So is this the sort of job that the average DIYer could do?
Anyone fitted one and could give me a bit of advice?
Ive got a lightweight van.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don't think any require drilling or welding.

There is a big range of prices. Ask yourself if you just want the basic or bells and whistles.

Fitting is straight forward, but that is just my opinion. I would most probably have a new one fitted now but that has more to do with my physical ability than the complexity of the job.

Do a YouTube search. There will be lots of videos taking you through the procedure.

In the end it will depend on your level of practicality. It wont be for everyone. A few years ago I think the going rate for fixing one on was about £150.

When looking at the specifications, look at the max weight of van and max incline it can cope with, you don't want one that will struggle.

John

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No mover requires welding, they are all secured by clamping plates.
The only drilling required is for the isolation switch and the holes required for the 12v cables that go to the battery.

All should come with fitting instructions and as long as you dont mind scrambling around under the van they are fittable by most DIY people.

However, for stress free fitting, get one that includes the fitting, then just sit back and enjoy a cup of tea whilst the fitter does all the hard work !!!! :giggle:

A fitter will take around 3 hours to fit, as a one off fitment as a DIY job, expect that time to increase quite a bit.

Reactions: thedribbler
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
The only drilling required is likely to be a hole through the floor usually in the bed box by the battery so the control unit can be connected to the two exterior motors. (Damian's post came in while I was writing, and there is an isolation switch that is fitted to the wall of the battery box that is also drilled though!) The rest is a clamp fit which also enables owners to transfer to a future van if required. I have just had a look at 2 websites at an Emove or a Powrtouch and the fitting price is 100.00 fitted at your home. You can get electric engage or manual engage. There are links between L&R to activate both sides from one unit. Worth a bit of googling to decide exactly what you need and what the bill will be!
We have a slight hump off our driveway to get to the road, and because of the this and the slope of the pavement had to wheel out and then hitch on the street - 10 years ago we could push the 2 berth out with ease, but soooo much easier now to let the mover do the work, reversing it out of the drive and then forwards with mm accuracy onto the tow hitch! On arrival no hassle with reversing onto the pitch either! Wish I'd fitted one years ago!

Last edited:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The advantage of manual engagement is that there is very little to go wrong, but they do need a strong arm to put them onto the wheels if you have the cross bar that actuates both sides at the same time, less effort if applied individually,
When releasing the manual type they have quite a kick, so care must be taken to ensure you have full control of the lever.

Auto engage quite often go wrong and the spares are expensive if you do not have a really good guarantee with the mover. They do save the manual effort of engaging the rollers though

I will not comment on other makes, but with Powrtouch the guarantee is a full 5 years and that covers everything .

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
The Powrtouch certainly has a sprung mechanism pulled on or off with a short wheelbrace-like tool. THe Emove is wound on to tyre with a corner-steady brace (this is what I had fitted the 303 manual in part for this reason ). Research online will tell you how other makes are activated (there are probably 8 or so different models in the UK at a variety of prices). You will also see tables telling you the weight limits of the van for each model., but as you describe the van as lightweight probably any mover will be adequate). With the auto (quite a bit more expensive to pay for the extra engineering) the remote control switches on motors that take the units foward to contact the tyres, after which the same array of handset buttons can be used for moving the van as required. You will find that some dealers have a system attached to a demo unit trailer so you can try before you buy.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Manual engagement models can be hard work although when ours seemed too difficult the engineer was able to increase the clearance a little and it now works fine and is not too difficult. If you are at all unfit though an alternative is the safe r option. We have had one that winds on with something like the leg winder rather than using a lever, this is far easier and is far cheaper than the auto models.
The advantage of auto though is obvious but it comes at a price.
Any model should work with a lightweight caravan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Two years ago I changed the bearings on one side . Hard work working underneath and the units are heavy even using a jack to help. The next set will be changed by an engineer🤞🤞🤞

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the Powrtouch and its been excellent. Had to call their customer support once and they were brilliant, even if they did make me look like a complete plum.

I have never had an auto engage one, purely for the reasons mentioned, there is more to go wrong and I ebelieve the auto engage is the most common fault.

Its been mentioned that there are loads of videos on youtube showing how to fit one, my advice would be to watch them and see if its a job you fancy doing and feel confident to do.

I partly agree with Damian, let the engineer do it and sit back and have a cup of tea, beer.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have a Truma auto engage, It has had a new control box, Truma were not happy, also my dealer hated dealing with them. Later it broke again. My dealer did not want to know due to the problems they had had with Truma. I took it to Derby. They were not what you might call friendly. However, they fitted two engagement motors.

There was no concern that their product had resulted in a lot of inconvenience and expense to their customer. But they did give us a cup of coffee.

One annoying thing we spotted when there. As they own Powrtouch they share the same base. But, they repair that range at your home.

Lesson to be learnt there. (That was 4 years ago, thing may have changed).

John

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The AWS service engineer who services my caravan has been a fitter of powrtouch movers for 20 years, he has now refused to fit them and will only fit Reich, he said it’s down to the quality, I’m not sure I’m allowed to write this but I’m only repeating an approved engineers opinion.

BP

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had a problem with my Powertouch manual unit , called their service department and they sent a mobile guy almost 100 miles to replace parts on one side. The mechanic didn't do a good job and I complained to Power touch. When the other side went called the same PT service department and mentioned that I would not accept the same person, luckily a new, local AWS guy had just, been on their course, and fitted the new parts. When my warranty run out I replaced the 1/8 roll pins connecting the cross shafts for 3/16th a much stronger join.
And its now 8 years old. And working fine, probably used it less than 50 times though.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This is our first caravan mover it a Emove EM203 Featuring the easy wind system with no need to get down on your hands and knees to engage the rollers it offers excellent value and after waiting 31 years to have one other members on this forum will tell you more about them

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a Towsure Move Master It's 9 years old this month, no trouble in that time. Fitted it myself twice. Fitted new to one van, sold that van, removed mover, then fitted it to my new van (to me) Not to bad to fit myself, I made it easier the second when I lifted the van wheels on blocks, gave me more room under the van.

Go for it! Then stand back and say "I did That"

May 7, 2021
Visit site
I have a Towsure Move Master It's 9 years old this month, no trouble in that time. Fitted it myself twice. Fitted new to one van, sold that van, removed mover, then fitted it to my new van (to me) Not to bad to fit myself, I made it easier the second when I lifted the van wheels on blocks, gave me more room under the van.

Go for it! Then stand back and say "I did That"
Yes I’m a bit of a DIYer-I like to try most things and as I’m usually saving money even better😀

Reactions: DaveA1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts