Motor Movers Comparison

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I've seen the advert in the CC magazine from Purpleline doing a comparative test on most of the popular motor movers. Perhaps surprisingly, the 2 sold by Purpleline come out top! I fitted a Rhyno Lite mover a couple of years ago which is less powerful than the Rhyno Charger which featured in the test (and came last), so I could get a bit depressed by this. When I bought the Rhyno, I found it very difficult to get comparative information about power output and performance and bought the Rhyno on the basis that it claimed to be powerful, was lighter than most and had a good ground clearance. Isn't it about time Practical Caravan did a proper comparative test on these movers to confirm whether or not the Purpleline test is as unbiased as they claim. Given the number of threads on here about movers, surely this would be a valuable piece of research?

John M

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Good idea, John. We had a look at various types of mover at the NEC Caravan Show a couple of years ago, and OH (an engineer) decided on the E-Go, which we fitted ourselves. However, we were somewhat dismayed when it arrived to find that it actually weighed quite a bit more than the quoted weight which the manufacturers gave for the unit - and I posted a warning on here at the time! It would be nice to see some unbiased comparisons, not just on power etc., but on weight, road clearance, ease of use, ease of fitting, cost, etc.
An essential piece of caravanning journalism, I would have thought!

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi John.
sounds like a good idea maybe one for Nigel to comment on if a test has never been done that is,
There is a thread somewhere in which Nigel did ask for suggestions on what the magazine could test and movers was high up the list.
One day movers will be fitted to all new vans as standard equipment a bit like full cookers and fridges are today I wonder which one would become the industry standard although one could guess? as truma seem to make a lot of equipment for the van industry and powertouch is now owned by truma.
colin.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I did not notice the "Advertisement Feature" side banner. Very misleading. OK now I look at it again I can see clearly that it is mearly an advertisment, but I like perhaps others, only looked at the results.
We have a Powrtouch which we are happy with, although the remote radio control range is not very good.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ChrisUK said:
I did not notice the "Advertisement Feature" side banner. Very misleading. OK now I look at it again I can see clearly that it is mearly an advertisment, but I like perhaps others, only looked at the results.
We have a Powrtouch which we are happy with, although the remote radio control range is not very good.
epositioning
Chris
I had that problem with our Powrtouch three years ago. Repositioning the little aerial wire attached to the control box and making sure the metal legs of any chairs or BBQs were stored at least 12 inches away did the trick. Also I change the battery in the handset every year.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Dustydog said:
ChrisUK said:
epositioning
Chris
I had that problem with our Powrtouch three years ago. Repositioning the little aerial wire attached to the control box and making sure the metal legs of any chairs or BBQs were stored at least 12 inches away did the trick. Also I change the battery in the handset every year.
I did move the aerial a little, the fitter had wrapped it round the chassis. Good point re the battery though.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree that a PC comparitive test would be a great help to people when trying to select a mover. I was surprised at the large difference in current draw with the moovers tested in the Purpline advert, but of course no speed was shown so those drawing larger currents may have been moving faster. But there again speed is not everything!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not suprised Rhyno came last but remember that CC had a survey not that long ago about movers, but haven't published the results yet, so that may be interesting. Can see the MD from Rhyno trying sue the CC magazine for printing it - he's certainly got the attitude to do so!

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Great idea John,
I would love to see a comparison between movers....don't expect it will happen tho' as these companies advertise in the mag.
Ron.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
I agree that a PC comparitive test would be a great help to people when trying to select a mover. I was surprised at the large difference in current draw with the moovers tested in the Purpline advert, but of course no speed was shown so those drawing larger currents may have been moving faster. But there again speed is not everything!!

I was talking to a Powrtouch mobile engineer last year and he said all the electric motors in Powrtouch and Truma are exactly the same. The heavier weights are moved by bigger reduction gearboxes for greater torque but less speed I guess.
Speed for me is irrelevant. It is the ability to move a 1700kg TA over rough ground, grass , up hills etc that really matters
smiley-kiss.gif

Kate Taylor

Administrator
Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

In the November issue of Practical Caravan we have an article about how to maintain your caravan motor mover. I've just put it on the website for you as well.

To read our Practical Caravan DIY guide to caravan motor mover maintenance and see all the step-by-step photos please click here.

5748950-diy-guide-to-caravan-motor-mover-maintenance-1.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts