Motor Movers?

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
I got to use the motor move r(Quattro), on our 3 yr old Lunar Venus for the first time today, when maneuvering on stone (first mistake) / grass. What a great bit of kit. Even though this is a lightweight (904 kg) caravan, it must take some serious effort from the motors / mech to make it all happen. Question is......how reliable / long lasting are motor movers in general? I have lubricated all the mechanical parts as they get a hammering from road gunge etc. Mine has a 5 year warranty, and the "blurb" on it sounds good. But in the real world.....................?

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
The answer must be very reliable - until they break. :)
I share your concerns but assume (hope) that the components are designed for the job and the long guarantees generally provided inspire confidence. I have a Truma SE fitted to my van and it's a delight to use; much easier than training my wife to direct my reversing efforts. ;)

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Don't also forget to subtract the weight of the mover from your overall load allowance. Glad you are enjoying caravanning with your new Venus neatly slotted into place at home or away with your mover!

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I think modern movers appear to be reliable. The motors are fairly substantial, yet get very little use compared to those in cars and domestic appliances.

Bought my Reich 4wd second hand. The steel components showed some rust, so I stripped the whole things down and had them powder coated, so it was satisfying to fit a new looking unit. One thing I did notice is that the power cables had their spade connector to the motors crimped on, and all 4 were showing a little deterioration. Cut these off and soldered on new terminals, with the joint nicely dosed with good old Waxoyl.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
PHOENIXFLIER said:
Caravan now fully loaded ready for first outing. Next stop the weighbridge to sort out the noseweight!

How you going to sort the noseweight out on the weighbridge?
You will get overall van gross weight?
Nose weight is normally sorted with a separate nose weight guage OR bathroom scales ;)

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
My bad.
Going to weigh the caravan only (detached from car), then work out 5-7% and then dig out the bathroom scales and start shifting stuff if needed.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
PHOENIXFLIER said:
My bad.
Going to weigh the caravan only (detached from car), then work out 5-7% and then dig out the bathroom scales and start shifting stuff if needed.

Good Lad :lol:

Dont forget the tow bar/ball and hitch both have a max weight.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
. . Don't really use our MM very much as I can reverse excelllently " When not being watched" , but they are fantastic.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had movers on our last three caravans, all different makes and never had a problem. The one on our last caravan lasted six years and was still going when we swapped the caravan.

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
PHOENIXFLIER said:
Caravan now fully loaded ready for first outing. Next stop the weighbridge to sort out the noseweight!

Noseweight ...... isn't there a topic about that? :p :p :p

I have movers and they're great .... best money spent!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts